R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #4111
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post

This is snowbirds mechanic (Hiro) for Hayato Matsuzaki. Very, Very smart guy. There cars looked awesome all weekend.
Hi Guys Any setups that can be seen from the Birds for the TCX please.Cheers Malc
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #4112
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2
Default Thinking of getting a TCX

Hello gentlemen,

I'm looking into getting the TCX. What am I looking at when it comes to price, upgrades, etc. I would basically new to electric so I'd need everything.

Thanks.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #4113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
Hello gentlemen,

I'm looking into getting the TCX. What am I looking at when it comes to price, upgrades, etc. I would basically new to electric so I'd need everything.

Thanks.
Car is fine out of the box - you don't really need anything to make it better.

Costs are:

Chassis: $450
Motor: $90
Receiver: $100
ESC: $180
Batteries(2): $200
Tires: $30 ea.
Shells: $25 ea.

You'll want spare arms, c-hubs, and steering blocks.

Easiest way to figure out your cost is head to A-main (or something similar) and construct a wish list.
Dog Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #4114
Tech Apprentice

Anyone know when the Hara edition is coming out? Really interested in the the top deck and gear diff. Haven't got myself a Spec-R yet, hoping HB will bring out the diff as an optional soon so I can give that a try first.
unknownmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #4115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownmember View Post
Anyone know when the Hara edition is coming out? Really interested in the the top deck and gear diff. Haven't got myself a Spec-R yet, hoping HB will bring out the diff as an optional soon so I can give that a try first.
I think they will release the car sometime after TITC but im not expecting it very soon after that.

Toshihiko Hara Posted this on Facebook last week.

"Thank you for checking new product of HPI/HotBodies.
The official name is "HB TCXX". The sample car of the photo is not official specifications. And the product is updated more more mooOOoore !!!
Please look forward to TCXX!!!!!

Team Schumacher - Team Scorpion - Sweep Racing - Bezerk RC - Adelaide RC
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #4116
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
Hello gentlemen,

Thanks.
You will need 46mm Steel front drive shafts, the kit alloy ones are shocking. Asside from that perhaps a Spec-R gear diff but thats all thats relaly necessary. You might want the -2mm shock towers if your running tarmac.

Best mod is to cut down some of the spare servo posts, screw them to the chassis and move the lipo further into the car (removing the kit lipo standoff's as they keep the lipo to far out)
Jo90uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #4117
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
I think they will release the car sometime after TITC but im not expecting it very soon after that.

Toshihiko Hara Posted this on Facebook last week.
Sweet Thanks.

Also, would anyone happen to know if the stock gold and silver springs are linear or progressive? It only came to my attention when I read the Hudy setup book and under the ride height section it says spring pre loads is only to be used for adjusting ride height. That would be true if the springs are linear correct?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #4118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me how the TCX is in Total weight in std form, like how does it compare with xray t3? heavier or lighter?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #4119
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI123 View Post
Can anyone tell me how the TCX is in Total weight in std form, like how does it compare with xray t3? heavier or lighter?
Depends on your electrics mate. I run the car with a Tekin RSPro, Savok low profile servo, KO302F 40Mhz rx, SP MMM 13.5t, IP5800 60c lipo. I have all kit screws. Car comes in at approax 1355g (depends on wheels/tyres used and fitted with a std weight Protoform MazdaSpeed6 shell)
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #4120
Tech Elite

Quote:
Sweet Thanks.

Also, would anyone happen to know if the stock gold and silver springs are linear or progressive? It only came to my attention when I read the Hudy setup book and under the ride height section it says spring pre loads is only to be used for adjusting ride height. That would be true if the springs are linear correct?
Despite what you may read elsewhere - ALL current touring car springs are linear.

And yes, you should only be using the pre-load adjusters to adjust ride height. Physically pre-loading the springs when the car is at rest (no droop) will cause all sorts of handling issues that 99.9% of us wouldn't want.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #4121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo90uk View Post
Depends on your electrics mate. I run the car with a Tekin RSPro, Savok low profile servo, KO302F 40Mhz rx, SP MMM 13.5t, IP5800 60c lipo. I have all kit screws. Car comes in at approax 1355g (depends on wheels/tyres used and fitted with a std weight Protoform MazdaSpeed6 shell)
is that with rubber tyres or foams?

thanks man
Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #4122
Tech Addict

My TCX with Xtreme HW, Futaba BLS551, RX 614F, GM 17.5, IP 5800 60C, Mazdaspeed PF lw and Sorex tires 36 is 1310gr.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #4123
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI123 View Post
is that with rubber tyres or foams?

thanks man
With Rubber mate, we dont use Foam in the UK anymore on EP 1/10th
Old 02-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #4124
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
.....Physically pre-loading the springs when the car is at rest (no droop) will cause all sorts of handling issues...

Could you please elaborate on that a lil bit lol, I've had my TCX for quite some time now and have never been to a race meet. I thought I'd have time but this time I definitely will. So I'm still learning the trade

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by..when the car is at rest (no droop) will cause all sorts of handling issues... soz lol.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #4125
Tech Elite

Quote:
Could you please elaborate on that a lil bit lol, I've had my TCX for quite some time now and have never been to a race meet. I thought I'd have time but this time I definitely will. So I'm still learning the trade

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by..when the car is at rest (no droop) will cause all sorts of handling issues... soz lol.
Droop is the downtravel of the suspension from ride height. If you lift the car from the ground, the wheels should sag a little before they leave the ground.

If you screw down the pre-load collars (I think shock collar is a clearer term) too far when trying to raise the ride height, you will take away that droop, and that will make the cars handling very difficult.

Droop and ride height need to be considered together when making adjustments. It's one of the most common mistakes by new racers, who either use the droop screws to adjust ride height (completely wrong), or keep on adding ride height with the shock collars until the car is jacked up on its suspension with no droop and pre-loaded springs.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote