R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #3181
Ooj
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 329
Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj
Default

Question for people who have tried the Spec-R gear diff in the front. Do you use the 44mm or 46mm bones?
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #3182
Tech Addict
 
eceer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 562
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooj View Post
Question for people who have tried the Spec-R gear diff in the front. Do you use the 44mm or 46mm bones?
44mm
__________________
☞ Adelaide RC Team driver ☜
☞ Switchmedia ☜
☞ They're not toy cars, they are fine examples of engineering. When driven correctly are a joy to behold. ☜
eceer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #3183
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,101
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Dane - It's pretty good. I haven't had any issues with any parts not fitting right. The molded parts aren't quite as nice as xray's, but no one's really is. They are light, functional, and wear well.

Others - Tamiya pistons pretty much drop in. I add a small shim before I put the piston on to take up some of the slack. It provides more consistent dampening action that way.

Ooj - You will have to use 44mm driveshafts. You will also have to do a slight amount of grinding on the front suspension block. It actually rubs the Spec-R gear diff.

-Korey
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #3184
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 139
Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Default

thanks korey, i heard some people drill the trf holes little bigger. do you know how will it effect the handling?
do you recall how thick the shim that you put under the pistons?
amygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #3185
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,101
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

The Tamiya pistons I have measure out to be 1.1mm, just like the HB pistons. I know on lower grip parking lot tracks, some have drilled out the holes to 1.2mm. So far I haven't found a need to do this though.

The shim can vary a bit. Usually a .1-.2mm shim works good though. You want to take up the slack between the E-clips and the piston, but still allow the piston to rotate easily. This prevents the pistons from warping (yes, warping!!!) over a long period of time.

There is a benefit to the HB pistons though. They are actually machined vs molded. I find their tolerances from piston to piston are much better than some other pistons that people commonly use.

-Korey
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #3186
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,101
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Also, shimming the piston should be done with the HB pistons as well
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #3187
Ooj
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 329
Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj
Default

Has anyone tried the new Spec-R gear diff oils? They seems to have quite a big jump from 3,000 to 100,000 and then 300,000. I'm not entirely sure how this compares to other brands.
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #3188
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,963
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Ooj - You will have to use 44mm driveshafts. You will also have to do a slight amount of grinding on the front suspension block. It actually rubs the Spec-R gear diff.
really?!?!? I have 46mm in mine and they fit good - or am i missing something?

or another note, are the HD bulkheads and motor mount really worth it if you're not racing mod?
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #3189
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,101
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I remember Hiro saying 44mm are required depending on what suspension blocks you use. Otherwise the blade will bottom out in the drive cup and cause the suspension and drivetrain to bind up. You might be running wider suspension blocks and not having an issue. I would double check it though . I still run a spool up front, so I haven't personally ran into this issue yet.

The HD bulkheads are just stronger. I guess its a choice on your part if you crash hard enough to bend bulkheads or not. I haven't put any on my car yet, but I figured when I actually bend one, ill replace them with the HD version.

Hope that helps .
__________________
Seido Speed Works - Apex RC - Prospec America - RC Mission America - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #3190
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,963
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
I remember Hiro saying 44mm are required depending on what suspension blocks you use. Otherwise the blade will bottom out in the drive cup and cause the suspension and drivetrain to bind up. You might be running wider suspension blocks and not having an issue. I would double check it though . I still run a spool up front, so I haven't personally ran into this issue yet.

The HD bulkheads are just stronger. I guess its a choice on your part if you crash hard enough to bend bulkheads or not. I haven't put any on my car yet, but I figured when I actually bend one, ill replace them with the HD version.

Hope that helps .
yeah, that helps about the HD parts..

I'm running a 2.0 FF block and the standard FR block...I'll have to look at the binding tonite when I get home - the only binding I remember is with the blades, they are a little tight in the outdrives
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #3191
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 92
Default

Is anyone bringing out different degree toe blocks for the FR-RR and RR-FR blocks (those that are angled to miss the sterring sweep and have the cutout for the drive belt) ?

Would have thought maybe 3Racing or Jet might have done this by now
Jo90uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #3192
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
yeah, that helps about the HD parts..

I'm running a 2.0 FF block and the standard FR block...I'll have to look at the binding tonite when I get home - the only binding I remember is with the blades, they are a little tight in the outdrives
Yes what Korey explained is right. When we use spec-r gear diff up front, 44mm drive shaft is required.
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #3193
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo90uk View Post
Is anyone bringing out different degree toe blocks for the FR-RR and RR-FR blocks (those that are angled to miss the sterring sweep and have the cutout for the drive belt) ?

Would have thought maybe 3Racing or Jet might have done this by now
Hotbodies will come up with new option suspension blocks very soon. They are 0.5/1.0mm wider for FR and RF and 3.5/4.0deg for RR or FF. Also, 1.5mm wider block for FR is in the process but it will take a little longer to be available.
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #3194
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,963
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow View Post
Yes what Korey explained is right. When we use spec-r gear diff up front, 44mm drive shaft is required.
if it doesn't bind, does it hurt anything if you're running the 46mm shafts???

because, honestly, mine doesn't bind - it was tight the first time I ran it, but then after a day of racing everything loosened up

I know the 3Racing blades are tight in the SpecR diffs, it was just tight sliding them into the outdrives - but after a full days of racing, everything seems all good
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #3195
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
if it doesn't bind, does it hurt anything if you're running the 46mm shafts???

because, honestly, mine doesn't bind - it was tight the first time I ran it, but then after a day of racing everything loosened up

I know the 3Racing blades are tight in the SpecR diffs, it was just tight sliding them into the outdrives - but after a full days of racing, everything seems all good
I think you could use the 46mm if yours doesn't bind, but might want to check with 0 or 1.0deg FF block. The key is when the front suspension compressed all the way up, it shouldn't bind any.

Hope it helps.
Thank you.
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:50 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net