R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #1936
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Galdo View Post
I am nearly using the Hara setup except I have 2.25 under the rear suspension blocks for more bite, which might be helping the car push forward more. It stopped two things. The front from biting hard and the rear from breaking free. There is 1mm under the ball link on the rear bulkhead. 45wt oil in all shocks. Pink and blue springs.
Do you mean you are running pro squat on the rear or 2.25 under both rear blocks?

I have the problem of the back breaking away when I come off power from high speed when turning into a slow corner.

I thought to gain more rear grip I should go from 1.5mm spacers under the rear suspension blocks to 1mm.
Barry_Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #1937
Tech Elite

Hi guys,

Whats the advantage of using Tamiya or Yokomo steering knuckles? Is it to gain more steering? Will it give more steering throw? Does it change ackerman too?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #1938
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Dameetz:: I think the only advantage was they were available when the HB knuckle wasn't. I know that Ackerman is affected.

Barry:: correct me if I am wrong... I thought a squat adjustment involved a change in the angle of the rear hinge pin. I am running flat so I affected roll center.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #1939
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any other tcx cars going to be at the birds?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #1940
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haynes View Post

i miss you
Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #1941
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Good luck at the Birds Mike! I will be watching you reel them in.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #1942
Tech Regular

Quote:
Barry:: correct me if I am wrong... I thought a squat adjustment involved a change in the angle of the rear hinge pin. I am running flat so I affected roll center.
David thats correct put more shims under the front block for anti squat or more under the rear block for pro squat i.e. angling the pin upwards or downwards.

Since you are running flat and raising both rear blocks you are altering the roll centre however by raising the rear blocks my understanding is you are taking away rear end grip and increasing the grip at the front of the car. So you will make the car looser at the rear and therefore it will breakaway more.

To get more grip at the rear you lower the rear blocks.

Since you increased the shims and said this has cured the back breaking away it doesn't seem correct. As my back is breaking away I was going to do the opposite to you and lower the rear blocks, hence my question
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #1943
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
David thats correct put more shims under the front block for anti squat or more under the rear block for pro squat i.e. angling the pin upwards or downwards.

Since you are running flat and raising both rear blocks you are altering the roll centre however by raising the rear blocks my understanding is you are taking away rear end grip and increasing the grip at the front of the car. So you will make the car looser at the rear and therefore it will breakaway more.

To get more grip at the rear you lower the rear blocks.

Since you increased the shims and said this has cured the back breaking away it doesn't seem correct. As my back is breaking away I was going to do the opposite to you and lower the rear blocks, hence my question
I tried lowering the rear and the rear came around worse than before. It was nearly managable with 1.5 but the more I added, the rear planted itself. I understand what your are getting at but I will have to blame our track conditions.

Last edited by David Galdo; 01-23-2011 at 01:58 PM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #1944
Tech Regular

Thanks David,
maybe I will have to try the same as you, as I am having to drive the car like it is on ice at the moment
Old 01-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #1945
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

Quote:
Ill be flying up there Monday Mike...see ya there!
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA|RPM|AMAIN|CREATE X/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|TEAMASSOCIATED|REEDY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #1946
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I tried lowering the rear and the rear came around worse than before. It was nearly managable with 1.5 but the more I added, the rear planted itself. I understand what your are getting at but I will have to blame our track conditions.
Raising the rear lower arms makes the rear of the car roll less. Less roll "probably" took away the over rotation you were experiencing. When I want to make my car rotate I try to get the rear to roll more. As always...YMMV.

Art

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #1947
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tried out Hara's 17.5 IIC setup this weekend with a couple changes. I used 1 step softer springs in the rear and Sweep Extreme Carpet tires instead of Jaco. I had good results with the setup but late in the run the car is on the verge of traction roll. What would be the best change to make to keep the tires on the ground? I was thinking of lowering the camber links by .5mm or even 1mm to raise the roll center.
2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #1948
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Gear Diff status

Any further updates on the spec-r gear diff? The website mentioned a few pages back originally showed the 20th of January and has now been updated to end of January. Were they really ever in stock?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #1949
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xs View Post
I tried out Hara's 17.5 IIC setup this weekend with a couple changes. I used 1 step softer springs in the rear and Sweep Extreme Carpet tires instead of Jaco. I had good results with the setup but late in the run the car is on the verge of traction roll. What would be the best change to make to keep the tires on the ground? I was thinking of lowering the camber links by .5mm or even 1mm to raise the roll center.
The Sweep tires are simply that good. The side bite traction they have is the best with them.

I was using a 1.4 sway bar in the rear and changed to the 1.2 and also went from 2mm to 1mm under the camber ball.

Hope that helps...
Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #1950
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
The Sweep tires are simply that good. The side bite traction they have is the best with them.

I was using a 1.4 sway bar in the rear and changed to the 1.2 and also went from 2mm to 1mm under the camber ball.

Hope that helps...
Thanks David

I really like the way the Sweeps have handled on our track. I have even gotten several people to switch to them. But that is for another thread.

I just wanted to confirm that the adjustment I was thinking of making were in the right direction.
2xs is offline   Reply With Quote