Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What type of shock oil for carpet? >

What type of shock oil for carpet?

Old 04-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

I am just wondering what is the range of shock oils that would work well on carpet? I know that it probobly varies between tracks(i race at trackside) but i havent gotten a reply yet(in the trackside forum),which i can understand, becasue not everyone goes on this website everyday of their lives, but i am going to order some shock oil very soon and would just like 2 know.

thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

also, what is the difference between using a softer spring, or softer(lower wieght) shock oil? what does one do that the other doesnt????
Old 04-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try 50 in the rear and 70 in the front as a starting point.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Use 50 weight. Put Softer springs in the rear and harder in the front.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

now i drive a losi, but i've raced at trackside. I ran 50 weight all around, if you want your can looser and very twitchy, go all 40 weight. I liked to run 40 front, 50 rear, to have a bit of rear push, but on tighter track, that setup isn't very good. Run softer springs in the front too.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Springs control the amount of body roll you have at each end and oil controls the speed at wich it does the rolling. Stiffer springs are used on smoother high bite conditions and lighter springs for bumpier low traction condition. Springs mostly affect how the car comes in a corner and through the middle, and oil controls more how fast the suspension rebounds and goes through the middle and off the corner. Dont think of a corner as one curve think of it as three separate turns, in, middle, and off. Alwayse fix a corner from the beginning.

What class are you running? I run 60w all around in stock rubber. Thats with TRF shocks with associateds thats an equivelent of #2 piston w 50w.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

I would recommend getting 40, 50, 60 and 70 wt for Carpet. Now if you are running a TC3 with foam Tires, I would try either 70 front and 50 rear with #3 pistons. Or 60 front and 40 rear with #2 pistons or #3 pistons. If you need more front traction into the corners, i would drop the weight 10. Good springs are 35lb front and 30 lb rears for stock. Just some starting points.....

what car do you run?

Jeff
Old 04-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Jeff Brown
I would recommend getting 40, 50, 60 and 70 wt for Carpet.
I'll second this. If it's too much, go with 50 and 60.

I would start with same shock oil all around. It often get a better balanced car, if there aint too much difference front versus rear. Better balance means easier to driver.

Which car do you have and which oil do you use now? (Do I remember correct, if I think you have a GM Pro2?) How do your car handle now?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Yup, i have the GM pro 2. sorry i havent replyed, i have been in minnesota all week. I bought 50 wieght oil, and 35 and 30 lb springs I havent put the new oil, and springs on my shocks, but with what is in there now, the car is twitchy, so I should probobly put the harder springs in front right?

ill be going down to trackside on tuesday, and report how the car feels with the new components...thanks for all of the help...ill get back to you guys soon
Old 04-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by Switch Blade
Yup, i have the GM pro 2. sorry i havent replyed, i have been in minnesota all week. I bought 50 wieght oil, and 35 and 30 lb springs I havent put the new oil, and springs on my shocks, but with what is in there now, the car is twitchy, so I should probobly put the harder springs in front right?

ill be going down to trackside on tuesday, and report how the car feels with the new components...thanks for all of the help...ill get back to you guys soon
Try out the new springs, but I tried copper springs (25lbs.) all around with my setup and the car was horrible. I would have understeer to start out and if I would crank on it I would get extreme oversteer, very unpredictable. I ended up going with golds all around and that worked well, but now I'm back to golds in the front and silvers in the back, which works better seems to depend on the track. But one thing I've determined, at least for my driving syle is that a stiffer setup just isn't to my liking.

The next thing I'm going to try is going one stiffer and see how that goes. For oil weight I'm using 40wt front and 50wt in the back, but I'm probably going to go 50/60 next time I rebuild my shocks.

By the way, this is for the TC3 so it doesn't really apply, but just thought I would give you some insight from a fellow Tracksider
Old 04-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

I put in the new oil, and springs, and i must say, building shocks are the funnest thing next to racing and painting bodies. After i did that, i decided to check my ride hieght, and the front was at 10mm, and the rear was at 6mm. So i layed down my front shock which brought it down to 4mm. How would my car handle of i left my ride hieght as it is? would it be better to have the same ride hieght throughout the car?
Old 04-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

general speaking yes it would be better to have eaqual ride height in the car but for rubber a 5 to 5.5 rear and 5 in the front for ride height is jsut fine but a 6rear and 4front might work, but dont qoute me on that since that i havent been racing for a while

lazy
Old 04-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

do u have threaded of unthreaed shock??and do u have a ride height gaude
Old 04-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

yes i have threaded shocks and a ride height gauge
Old 04-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Don't forget to set your droop! You be suprised what a difference it makes in the handling of your car.

For oil, I am going to keep the same ratio as what associated recommends but alittle lighter since out carpet track isn't perfectly flat ( you can see the cars bounce at times ), so about 60W Front, 40W Rear is what I am going to start with. I ran 50W all around and the car was ok, but when you run the same oil front and rear it sometimes affects how the car grips in the rear and you end up messing with the rear shock and camber locations to get that hook up feeling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.