Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resealing Asphalt Track - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Resealing Asphalt Track - Any tips?

Our local track wants to reseal their asphalt parking lot track. It was resurfaced in 2005 and has been re-sealed once or twice since then I think. It's seen better days. The track owner was looking for tips on resealing the track. What are the best products, etc to give the best racing surface.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

VHT you guys are going to need it after resealing asphalt pavement although it will be a lot smoother it tends to make the surface to slick due to oil thay they use tends stays on top of the surface and you guys will start having problem with traction.... We use to power hose our track ones a month and use VHT for traction.... But we finally give up cause traction is just horrrible so we have to move location. Raw asphalt pavement is the one you want cause that's where the best traction is...
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Already using VHT so that isn't a problem. (except when it is really hot, we found with the new VHT blend from a couple years ago that on really hot days later in the day it can get slick).
Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Dilute it and don't use a high concentrate of VHT like you said they get slick cause they crystalized on high temp.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

We do a 50-50 mix on the VHT w/ methanol. Should we use a different ratio?

More specifically we want to know about what resealing products to use.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Our local track wants to reseal their asphalt parking lot track. It was resurfaced in 2005 and has been re-sealed once or twice since then I think. It's seen better days. The track owner was looking for tips on resealing the track. What are the best products, etc to give the best racing surface.

Thanks!
hit up the guys at Tamiya USA... they resealed the tamiya track.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 AM
KDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You going to re-seal or slurry the surface?

-Steve
Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

I don't know the difference. I assume whatever is cheapest that will work for smoothing things out again and giving it a decent racing surface. I assume they plan to do it by hand. Right now it is just research.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What ever you decide DON'T SLURRY SEAL the track. It may provide good grip initially but it get's progressively worse as the seal ages. Before we re-paved our club track (Ventura RoadRunners) we used to slurry seal years ago.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
What ever you decide DON'T SLURRY SEAL the track. It may provide good grip initially but it get's progressively worse as the seal ages. Before we re-paved our club track (Ventura RoadRunners) we used to slurry seal years ago.
What is slurry sealing? What is the best product to use for the best traction and life? Medium grade sealer and applying with a squeege is the method that has been suggested to us by another local track. Just trying to get a feel for what other tracks have done.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JCarr
What is slurry sealing? What is the best product to use for the best traction and life? Medium grade sealer and applying with a squeege is the method that has been suggested to us by another local track. Just trying to get a feel for what other tracks have done.
slurry is the term for a mixture of liquid and solid material. when they reseal the roads around my area it looks like molten asphalt tar, liquid with aggregate (small rocks)

i haven't been there myself, but Toledo has been noted as having very good traction and tire wear. have you consulted them?