Removing glued tires from plastic rims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing glued tires from plastic rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Boil each time !!! It works 100% and is not as risky as baking in oven lol...

Boiling the plastic on general RC plastic parts is recommended to improve flexibility of the plastic and prevent cracking due to brittle plastic...

Oh and when boiling be careful not tu burn your self ...use pasta/salad tongs and handle with a towel rather than gloves etc...
Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rufus2000
acetone is the best method. rims come out pristine as mentioned before and it's completely effortless.
You don't even have to submerge the entire rim, just soak them a bit in the acetone and leave them overnight inside a metal or glass container (a cookie jar for example), you don't need to use much acetone (a cup will do). As long as the container is sealed the vapors from the acetone will do the job of dissolving the glue.
I've tried the bake method before and its not for all types of rims/glues...
Your not supposes to soak the wheels, just hang them and let the fumes do all the work, a lot of wheels won't stand up to an acetone bath...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I put my old tires in a crock pot for a few hours and the rubber comes right off with the glue attached. Unfortunately I do not know of a method that can save the tires themselves.