Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best 12th Scale Carpet Setup? >

Best 12th Scale Carpet Setup?

Best 12th Scale Carpet Setup?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Best 12th Scale Carpet Setup?

Sorry for what I'm sure is a rehash of older topics, but I'm I'm about to get back into RC racing and there's now a great local carpet track (Mike's in Carrollton TX). I have previous experience with the original AE 12E (yes, I know that "dates" me), the 12L3 and the original CRC Carpet Knife.

I have enough of a steep learning-curve with Lipo batteries and brushless motors, esc's and "boosters" (what ever they are). I'm looking for some opinions on chassis choices.

Mike's seems to me most supportive of the Assoc 12R5 and the CRC GenX. What are the other GOOD choices? Is the Serpent car worth looking at? What about the XRAY XII Link??

Could also use some feedback regarding radios, esc's and chargers.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

i mostly run rubber TC at mikes, i do own a speedmerchant Rev5 but never seem to run it...

theres a good group that run the speedmerchant there along with the 12R5...

the serpent car is nice, i havent seen one in person but from the pics it looks like a very well made car..
Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ekull25
Sorry for what I'm sure is a rehash of older topics, but I'm I'm about to get back into RC racing and there's now a great local carpet track (Mike's in Carrollton TX). I have previous experience with the original AE 12E (yes, I know that "dates" me), the 12L3 and the original CRC Carpet Knife.

I have enough of a steep learning-curve with Lipo batteries and brushless motors, esc's and "boosters" (what ever they are). I'm looking for some opinions on chassis choices.

Mike's seems to me most supportive of the Assoc 12R5 and the CRC GenX. What are the other GOOD choices? Is the Serpent car worth looking at? What about the XRAY XII Link??

Could also use some feedback regarding radios, esc's and chargers.
Your best choice is the one that most of the good drivers use on the track you're going to race at. Lots of build and setup support. DO NOT go out and get a car that nobody has at your track. You'll be on your own and probably struggling.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

there is no other choice at mike's. dumas runs there are drives for speedmerchant.

there are more speed merchants on track then any other car at Mike's, plus we have a direct line into Bruce. so usually parts are not an issue. the only time I have seen an issue with parts is right before a big race. most of the guys will clean out bruce before hand. so he has little in stock.

there is only 1 xray at mike's and I am not sure the car has even seen the track. Ray in the shop runs a crc, andrew has a 12r5, Shawn runs a speedmerchant, Robert is stepping up and has a bmi, Jeff Ball runs a speedmerchant and i run a speedmerchant. those are basically your top guys in pan cars at mike's. I can tell you that a speedmerchant and tekin is the fastest stock setup at this point at mike's. it can't be touched.

the shop stocks the basics for all cars and has a couple things for the assoc and crc cars. they can order parts for the xrays, not sure about serpent. i pretty much have consumables for the speedmerchant and can get what ever you need.