Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Atlas YM34CE touring chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the car looks awesome and if performance is up there, they'll sell quite a few but it might be a bit pricey considering what they're selling the SI for.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Unfortunately for Seaball, it appears that Atlas is getting waaaaaaaay out there. I think whoever test drives for them must like cars that understeer. The exception is probably the V3 since you can tailor the roll centers to pretty much anything your little heart desires. Since then they have retraeted to the land of no turn in, or mid corner steering for that matter.

This whole reverse rotation thing is the same deal. It's gonna get a lot of transer of weight to the rear. ever notice that the left side mounted reverse rotation oval car thing never took off? Makes you wonder...........
Old 04-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yeah, that verbage is pretty funny

rob, i tend to agree, but...and there always is one... this reverse rotation might benefit from a spool. the effects of each will be opposites during accelleration and decelleration. could be a nice combo on carpet. eh?
Old 04-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey guys the motor will still turn the proper way....meaning that you do not need a reverse rotation motor in this car. A motor normally rotates clockwise when looking at it from the end bell side. So this drive train with what is 3 gear drive the two end gears both turn clockwise when looking at the car from the electronics side.....so you would not need a reverse rotation motor to make the car go forward.....any normal motor will work....as long as its on the right side of the car like it is in the pictures. This drive train looks very interesting and I would like to see how it works.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

whoops. i think we were all speaking of the direction the armature turns in relation to the chassis, not the can. yeah, it's a standard motor, but the torque is oriented 180* from a standard layout. like our friend rob pointed out. it's gonna squat more on power, and dive more off. that's all assuming typical suspension geometry.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I don't know if its going to squat more on power any more then any car does.....the chassis will squat do to weight transfer from acceleration but how much the motor effects that I think is dependant on how fast it spools up and either slows down or drag brakes to make it dive in. Im sure that the motor has an effect on these two chassis movements but how drastic is really dependant on the motor its self. Like if the motor slowly slows down its not going to dive as much as one that comes to an abrupt stop would.....that same thing when the motor is accelerating.......how fast it does it would determine how it effects the chassis. So I don't see this design having any more of an effect then a motor would in a normal car. It all comes down to how much the motor spooling up and slowing down effects a given car.....is there any way to figure this out? I mean its obvious to see what a motor does with drag brake and what it does with cost put into your ESC but how do you measure how the rotation is truly affecting the chassis movement. One thing to remember is that the Motor in a RC car is also the Brakes.....so its not like its an independent thing where we could see its effects easier as in a car that 4 wheel brakes.

Edit* Also the motor is directly related to the drive train.....No Clutch to see the effects of this movement as well.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

yeah kevin, i hear ya. i think i agree that the effects may be minimal for stock motors. especially the off power forward transfer. there are certainly methods to figure it out using the torque curve from a dyno and chassis geometry.

twin belt cars already have this transfer going on in the "good" direction, but shaft cars see no fore and aft transfer from motor torque. is it apparent when you drive one versus the other? nope. granted we are talking about twice that magnitude for the new atlas car, but twice something that is virtually undetectable, is still, well, very minute.

i think it would be interesting to see how well the efficiency is impacted with that design, as the small pulley, omitted here, dominates the efficiency of all the other belt cars out.

fyi - i just figured out that the carbon side plates on the rear bulkheads serve as a means to relocate the layshaft (lower) using the existing bulkheads from the si car. cheap!