Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by odawg315
if you have 0 deg hobs, just run the same blocks in the rear, fr same as rr.
Yes that is true but the stock hubs are 1 degree. The 0 degree aluminum hubs are only available if you buy that MS worlds hopup kit AFAIK. Pretty expensive if you ask me. I am leaving for the TCS nats at Tamiya this afternoon, I will see if they offer the hubs separately.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The 0 deg. hubs are available separetly They are part #53807.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Wow, look what I found in the basement! Where's everybody at???

I ran my new EVO for the first time this past weekend and was quite impressed. It seems to handle tighter tracks much better than my EVO III did, or maybe it was my imagination.

I do however have one question..... why is the so much toe-in toe-out slop in the rear carriers?? Is there a cure for this, or are my rear carriers not setup properly??

Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can you buy ms bulkheads seperately? What are the part #'s?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Wow, I wished this thread got the kind of attention the 415 thread gets.

Originally Posted by John Warner
Wow, look what I found in the basement! Where's everybody at???

I ran my new EVO for the first time this past weekend and was quite impressed. It seems to handle tighter tracks much better than my EVO III did, or maybe it was my imagination.

I do however have one question..... why is the so much toe-in toe-out slop in the rear carriers?? Is there a cure for this, or are my rear carriers not setup properly??

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The alloy rear hubs make the rear slop slightly better i think, but the car has a lot of slop in the front too, i guess some thin motor shims (those white plastic type ones) could be used to make it a little better....
Old 09-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try. It also seems like there quite a bit of play in where the bearings sit, maybe the aluminum carriers will help there as well?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Warner
Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try. It also seems like there quite a bit of play in where the bearings sit, maybe the aluminum carriers will help there as well?

Thanks!
The aluminum uprights help a little...but these help a LOT with the slop. Mine flopped all over the place...got the shaft kit and it's pretty tight now...bought the aluminum uprights anyways...LOL
Old 09-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the valuable information! It does make sense that that's where the problem originates from. Using a setscrew would help.

Thanks again!
John

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
The aluminum uprights help a little...but these help a LOT with the slop. Mine flopped all over the place...got the shaft kit and it's pretty tight now...bought the aluminum uprights anyways...LOL
Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Okay, I have another silly question......

Does this version seem to be a little more "fragile" than the previous versions like the EVO III?? How does it compare to the 415?
Old 09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well the gears/mesh/3 piece shaft design is better than the EvoIII design. So it's stronger in that sense. But the suspension is more fragile than the EvoIII and original 415 suspension.

Like what Turbo Joe said, get the stainless pin set. It helps alot with slop. A few motor shims may also help too.

I run Aluminum rear hubs. And Square aluminum from knuckles. Car runs great in Stock Class. In Mod, works great with the plastic spool. But it's kinda on the torque'y side for me. Not as smooth as a belt car. I think it's my "stock" finger though hehe.

Anyways, I love the car. Suspension is very tunable. Drive train is the free'est of all the shaft cars I've owned. It's smooth. And it's just soo damn good looking! Especially with the clear diff covers. Sweet!! I just wish they made a thicker chassis for carpet.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

That's exactly what I was talking about... the suspension! I broke two rear hubs this afternoon, and it didn't take much of a hit. I guess I'll be picking some aluminum ones without a doubt. I never had that problem with the EVO III, in fact I only remember it breaking two times in two years. I only run stock, as mod is and always has been out of the question for an old timer like myself! You're abosolutly correct.... it IS a very pretty car, especially with the clear blue diff covers!! I was thinking of parting ways with the car, but maybe with a few upgrades, I can make it work for me.

Originally Posted by KilRuf
Well the gears/mesh/3 piece shaft design is better than the EvoIII design. So it's stronger in that sense. But the suspension is more fragile than the EvoIII and original 415 suspension.

Like what Turbo Joe said, get the stainless pin set. It helps alot with slop. A few motor shims may also help too.

I run Aluminum rear hubs. And Square aluminum from knuckles. Car runs great in Stock Class. In Mod, works great with the plastic spool. But it's kinda on the torque'y side for me. Not as smooth as a belt car. I think it's my "stock" finger though hehe.

Anyways, I love the car. Suspension is very tunable. Drive train is the free'est of all the shaft cars I've owned. It's smooth. And it's just soo damn good looking! Especially with the clear diff covers. Sweet!! I just wish they made a thicker chassis for carpet.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

i drove mine for the first time yesterday. it was sweet and i did not break a thing on carpet in stock. still getting used to the shaft but itis fun to grab as much as the car hold and not worry about it. only real challenge is it smooth out the diffs. just need to to rebuild. does the ms have the lightweight suspension?. sweet ride though, worth every penny
Old 09-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, I TOO was thinking on getting rid of the car. But it just works too good for me in Stock. Plus lately I've been playing around more and more with setups. And that's helped out too. Wish I had the MS (just to have the one piece lower bulkheads). But my IV is just fine the way it is.

Yes, the EvoIV and EvoIV MS both have the same LW suspension. Only difference with suspension "change" is the MS comes with 415 suspension mounts that are 1mm lower than the original EvoIV mounts. Basically changes roll centers. 415 mounts have the "1"X or 1C, etc. It has the "1" on it before the letter. The EvoIV mounts just have a letter on it... "C" or "A"... etc.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Default Evo Iv MS stock setup vs Evo IV

For those of you wondering, the setup changes between the MS and not MS version:

Std blocks are A,A in front A,E in the rear with the plastic uprights (3 degrees toe)
The MS version is built with 1A,1A in front and 1XB,1D in the rear, but with 1mm spacers under all of the blocks. This is equivalent to A,A and XB*,D, so I don't really see why they didn't use the evo blocks, unless it's to give us the option to lower the blocks. Have any of you tried this ?

The rear toe is the same 3 degrees but the MS is narrower in the rear.
In the stock settings the roll centers are the same - same hinge pin height and camber link height.

The rear sway bar is different - narrower in the MS and it mounts on the balls on the out side front of the arm rather than the inside. Is this how the 415 is?

*XB doesn't exist as far as I know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.