Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Then i would say, YES!

Just monitor the motor a bit. When it gets to hot to touch after running 1 pack gear down.
When this happens use the 58t spur since i gather you don't have to many pinions.

Regards
Old 11-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for your help. I'm a newbie in EP. Been playing mostly GPs. Bashing MTs.

Recently saw some vids on drifting and sort of got hooked, so got an EP to try.

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:13 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well I took the plunge. I have a EVO4 coming later this week. I'm a big Tamiya fan and run alot of their stuff. Actually with this car I will have all Tamiya cars and trucks to race.

Anything I should be aware of? It is already built and looks really nice. I will go over it and see if it needs anything.

What are you guys doing to run 28mm foams on this car?

Thanks
Brian
Old 11-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
Well I took the plunge. I have a EVO4 coming later this week. I'm a big Tamiya fan and run alot of their stuff. Actually with this car I will have all Tamiya cars and trucks to race.

Thanks
Brian
Brian

im in the club with ya. i finally got my evoIV..and raced it this weekend. ignoring my results (excuse #121344: i was lacking motor) i was very pleased and impressed with the car.

gotta thank Steve Wang tho.. he hooked it up with the RP tires and made my cars "Crack head gone cold" twitchy and finally found the steering i like!

- Chris
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by Hebiki
Brian

im in the club with ya. i finally got my evoIV..and raced it this weekend. ignoring my results (excuse #121344: i was lacking motor) i was very pleased and impressed with the car.

gotta thank Steve Wang tho.. he hooked it up with the RP tires and made my cars "Crack head gone cold" twitchy and finally found the steering i like!

- Chris
Very cool. I will get some pics once I get my car and my electronics in it.

Seems like this and the 415 are Tamiya's best efforts to date. I'm kinda partial to shaft drive though.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
I'm kinda partial to shaft drive though.
yah me too. i was missing my barracuda. so i jumped back in with the evoIV
Old 11-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hahaha, me too. Go the Shaft Power! It's also good to see another Surge Worldwide Driver using the Evo IV too. I don't think that there are many of us unfortunately.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:01 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by F. Alonso
Hahaha, me too. Go the Shaft Power! It's also good to see another Surge Worldwide Driver using the Evo IV too. I don't think that there are many of us unfortunately.
True. Most of the Surge Guys use the Xray, TC4, or the Pro4. I will see next time I race with the Jon and the Surge boys!!!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Yeh, ahhh well.

All of my new parts arrived for my Evo IV today. I got:

Square Rear prop joint + alloy cup
Tamiya Evolution III Reinforced Diff Cups (2, just in case I ever want to use a ball diff at the front, unlikely now)
Tamiya One-Piece Front Prop joing + Alloy Cup
Tamiya 1 Degree Aluminium Rear Uprights
Tamiya Blue Stabilizer Ends
2 x Xenon 96T spur gears
Tamiya Alloy One-Way Ring Gear
Tamiya Lightweight Shaft
ABC Hobby Lightweight Gear Cover for Evo IV (Clear)
Yokomo SD-118G Graphite Battery Bar for MR4-TC

I have installed everything cause I have a pretty big race meet on this weekend and the first thing I have noticed with it all is that the car is SOOOOOOO much more noisy!!! Unfortunately I don't have any packs fully charged (charging as I type) but from the initial tests with DEAD packs, the car was very noisy and very metallic. Obviously, I have added a considerable amount of metal into the drivetrain so it would be nutz to think it'd have the same sound but initially, I prefer the std car's sound. I really loved that sound, like a pure race car!! But... I could be wrong and this could kick ass too.

Obviously I care about performance and reliability most of all and I'm sure these new bits will do the job, but I guess I am a bit cautious because my car was setup perfectly today at the track where I'll be racing this weekend. I just hope that the car is even JUST as good, but I think it may be better then it was, which means danger for the opposition!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Oh, and FYI, the Yokomo Battery plate works like an absolute charm. I didn't even need to ream the holes out at all so I was pleasantly surprised. I have had a battery come out, but that was a pretty massive hit!!

The other thing, the gear covers. I couldn't find a picture of what they looked like but for 750Yen I thought I'd just buy it and It's practically just clear lexan gear covers. It even has protective coating like body shells!!!! I really didn't like the design much at all, mainly because you actually had to cut the thing out, as opposed to it being on a parts tree like the tamiya set. As well as that, you have to use it in conjunction with the bearing retainers that you get with the kit, as if you weren't using gear covers. It's also.... just the top cover, not the bottom cover. I'll take some pictures of my chassis for everyone to have a look at (and laugh) at my poor cutting job of the lexan.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:16 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by F. Alonso
Yeh, ahhh well.

All of my new parts arrived for my Evo IV today. I got:

Square Rear prop joint + alloy cup
Tamiya Evolution III Reinforced Diff Cups (2, just in case I ever want to use a ball diff at the front, unlikely now)
Tamiya One-Piece Front Prop joing + Alloy Cup
Tamiya 1 Degree Aluminium Rear Uprights
Tamiya Blue Stabilizer Ends
2 x Xenon 96T spur gears
Tamiya Alloy One-Way Ring Gear
Tamiya Lightweight Shaft
ABC Hobby Lightweight Gear Cover for Evo IV (Clear)
Yokomo SD-118G Graphite Battery Bar for MR4-TC

I have installed everything cause I have a pretty big race meet on this weekend and the first thing I have noticed with it all is that the car is SOOOOOOO much more noisy!!! Unfortunately I don't have any packs fully charged (charging as I type) but from the initial tests with DEAD packs, the car was very noisy and very metallic. Obviously, I have added a considerable amount of metal into the drivetrain so it would be nutz to think it'd have the same sound but initially, I prefer the std car's sound. I really loved that sound, like a pure race car!! But... I could be wrong and this could kick ass too.

Obviously I care about performance and reliability most of all and I'm sure these new bits will do the job, but I guess I am a bit cautious because my car was setup perfectly today at the track where I'll be racing this weekend. I just hope that the car is even JUST as good, but I think it may be better then it was, which means danger for the opposition!!!
WOW thats alot of new stuff!!!! Those clear gear cases are sounding pretty cool to me. I'm not sure what all my new car has on but from the pics it is loaded up pretty well. I know it is still all TCS legal at this time which is a plus for me.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:18 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

I saw some clear diff cases that are like the stock setup but where clear. The gears stay protected but you can see them. Very trick looking. I will have to try to track them down. I have a buddy in Japan that might be able to locate what I'm talking about.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Yeh, I want to keep mine pretty close to TCS legal so that's why I only have a few items Non-Tamiya.

I've also got Sway bar set, Ti Screw Set, Ti Turnbuckles for Steering, Lightweight Swing Shafts (only going to use with ball diff due to strength of one-way) and I think that's about it. But everything of mine is Tamiya except for the few odd bits and pieces.

Tamiya made these clear diff cases and sold them only at a particular hobby show if I remember correctly. At the TCS Worlds on the weekend, they had a display with them in clear, clear blue and clear red. They contained the entire gearbox as well as the joints for the sway bars. I would've loved to have gotten them, and I had thought that the ABC hobby ones were going to be like that.... but I was wrong. Still looks pretty awesome anyway, just nothings as good as Tamiya!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Jasons Store on ebay have these gear cases again in clear, transparent blue and transparent smoke.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jasons-Store
Old 11-22-2004, 07:42 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by Ballsie
Jasons Store on ebay have these gear cases again in clear, transparent blue and transparent smoke.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jasons-Store
Thankyou. I will be looking into ordering some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.