Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official ROAR Festivus Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
My personal issue with open Forums is that most of the time you have NO idea who you are talking to. This is why, personally, I like the concept of a ROAR site where you use your given name and ROAR number.

IMHO, if ROAR wants to promote the hobby and draw in new participants, then a good step in that direction would be to actively utilize open forums...especially this one.

Reasons:

This site as an Alexa.com traffic rating of around 30,000. Roarracing.org however has an Alexa.com rating of over 4,000,000. (lower numbers indicate higher traffic). Thus, the average person looking to find information abourt RC racing and ROAR is more likely to stumble upon this forum versus the ROAR website that doesn't have a forum yet.

IMHO, new potential racers looking to join this hobby will be VERY TURNED OFF if they need to provide their full name and ROAR number before they can ask any questions. Think about it this way, would an LHS owner require customers to provide their full name before answering questions about a product or before making a sale? Of course not, such a policy would kill the sale. And this applies to both online stores and LHS. I am not accusing any ROAR official of being "elitist" or "snobby". I understand that some ROAR officials might not feel entirely comfortable conversing with unknown strangers. But having a policy of only replying only to those people who state their name/number has the negative effect of turning away new potential racers.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Last edited by ~McSmooth~; 10-25-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Legend

Default Off Topic Turtle Spew

Originally Posted by skypilot

hes the only reason i won't run mod at trcr, everywhere else i do

Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobsPics
IMHO, if ROAR wants to promote the hobby and draw in new participants, then a good step in that direction would be to actively utilize open forums...especially this one.

Reasons:

This site as an Alexa.com traffic rating of around 30,000. Roarracing.org however has an Alexa.com rating of over 4,000,000. (lower numbers indicate higher traffic). Thus, the average person looking to find information abourt RC racing and ROAR is more likely to stumble upon this forum versus the ROAR website that doesn't have a forum yet.

IMHO, new potential racers looking to join this hobby will be VERY TURNED OFF if they need to provide their full name and ROAR number before they can ask any questions. Think about it this way, would an LHS owner require customers to provide their full name before answering questions about a product or before making a sale? Of course not, such a policy would kill the sale. And this applies to both online stores and LHS. I am not accusing any ROAR official of being "elitist" or "snobby". I understand that some ROAR officials might not feel entirely comfortable conversing with unknown strangers. But having a policy of only replying only to those people who state their name/number has the negative effect of turning away new potential racers.
The purpose of a ROAR forum would be for members to discuss issues involvong RC racing, not to promote the hobby. Other information sources on the ROAR website would do that.

The AMA has a forum. Anyone can read it, but you must be a member to post. And AMA dues are $58 a year.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiml
The purpose of a ROAR forum would be for members to discuss issues involvong RC racing, not to promote the hobby. Other information sources on the ROAR website would do that.

The AMA has a forum. Anyone can read it, but you must be a member to post. And AMA dues are $58 a year.

Oh ok... I was not aware that the purpose of a ROAR message forum has nothing do with promoting the hobby. Sorry my bad.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
ROAR is only a small part of the problem. The racers are a big part of the problem.

I find this statement odd.

IMHO, complaining, bitching, moaning etc is perfectly acceptable...and I actually support it. That's what this country was founded on...your ability to express your opinion. No organization/association is ever going to reach 100% satisfaction among all it's members. That's impossible because everyone is unique and has their own thoughts and ideas. Of course, the whining should always be kept as civil as possible. There's no need for personal insults. But beyond that, I think it's healthy for members of an organization to express their concerns and critiques...that's what makes an organization survive and grow.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
you sir, hit it on the head, while national rules are nice, its up the local tracks to do whats best for that track and its racers.

Thanks for all of the input. It is refreshing to see a thread stay positive. I agree with much of what I'm reading, appreciate the ideas that never occurred to me and am pleased in general with the threads overall tone. I will post here updates on what steps the ROAR ExCom is taking. Once the ROAR forum is up - you'll be able to reach me there.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock
My suggestions to Roar.

3. Promotion-- Get the word out about the races. Make it feel like this is the place to be. That are National champ is what we all want to try and acheive make if feel like it is great experience.

4.Talk to other race promoters. Maybe you could convince Boylan or Scotty to Hold the Roar nationals in Vegas or Florida. Maybe we could get some excitement if we could get all 3 or 4 races in a series like the old Triple crown and then we could crown a True National champion.

5.Did i mention excitement. That is truly what we need. We need some build up and that i can not wait to get there excitement.

Mike Blackstock
ROAR does not have the money or the people to implement such changes. The only way you will see changes is if industry: sponsors/ supplements ROAR to promote the hobby and ROAR.

There are only a handful of people that make a living racing RC, running races, selling and manufacturing RC products.

Some how ROAR needs bring all parties together.

Has ROAR ever asked the sponsored racers to hold a clinic on topics to help educated racers: sedan tuning, improving your driving ect...... at a ROAR event to help get more people involved. If the event is held in a hotel why doesn't some from industry setup a track in another room for locals to come and check out racing and try racing.

Right now ROAR just runs a few events geared for the top drivers in the world. They need to decide if they want to cater to this very small crowd or try and expand to involve more people that run RC.

Evey ROAR race also has to be used to promote the hobby, which can happen if ROAR gets help from the Pro drivers and manufactures.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
ROAR does not have the money or the people to implement such changes. The only way you will see changes is if industry: sponsors/ supplements ROAR to promote the hobby and ROAR.

There are only a handful of people that make a living racing RC, running races, selling and manufacturing RC products.

Some how ROAR needs bring all parties together.

Has ROAR ever asked the sponsored racers to hold a clinic on topics to help educated racers: sedan tuning, improving your driving ect...... at a ROAR event to help get more people involved. If the event is held in a hotel why doesn't some from industry setup a track in another room for locals to come and check out racing and try racing.

Right now ROAR just runs a few events geared for the top drivers in the world. They need to decide if they want to cater to this very small crowd or try and expand to involve more people that run RC.

Evey ROAR race also has to be used to promote the hobby, which can happen if ROAR gets help from the Pro drivers and manufactures.
I agree with both of you
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

a lot of people make good points on both sides, i also think you need the big three on board, IIC, Indoor Champs, and the Birds . . .running loose ROAR rules doesnt help. You also have to take into consideration each individual track. What is good for one may not be good for the other depending on track size, skill level and local interest of classes. . .
Old 03-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock
My suggestions to Roar.

1. Entry fee's -- lower the entry and give a discount for 2nd class. Get sponsorships from company's to help lower these. like the "john boy and billy" Roar Nationals.But this could be Associated or Lrp or Jaco or who ever.
2. Classes--I feel like we need to go back in time some get rid of the middle of the road class so everyone can make the A-main. So i would run open mod and 21.5 for stock. You could also run all masters and Juinors in the same class and award a overall master and juinor to highest finishing person. Also if you wanted you could have a true beginner class also.
3. Promotion-- Get the word out about the races. Make it feel like this is the place to be. That are National champ is what we all want to try and acheive make if feel like it is great experience.
4.Talk to other race promoters. Maybe you could convince Boylan or Scotty to Hold the Roar nationals in Vegas or Florida. Maybe we could get some excitement if we could get all 3 or 4 races in a series like the old Triple crown and then we could crown a True National champion.
5.Did i mention excitement. That is truly what we need. We need some build up and that i can not wait to get there excitement.

I also want to state that i am firmly behind Roar in what ever they chose to do because with out them we are going to die quickly. We need them and they are listening. Now let's push them in a direction that we can get onroad back to where it needs to be.

Mike Blackstock
It’s a slow day at work so I’ve been catching up on my reading.

To go off of what Mike said I have a crazy idea…maybe dumb idea but…

Why not have ROAR sponsor races like the IIC and Snowbirds? I see an arrangement where they work with the promoters and provide administrative/technical support. God knows the promoters need all the help they can get to pull off the races. In return ROAR could/should set up a ROAR booth so they can meet and greet racers…many of the racers that aren’t coming to their events. Have a sign up booth…generate buzz about ROAR races. Maybe even convince the promoters to run ROAR rules.

It seems that ROAR is having a hard time attracting racers to their events. This may be a way to cross-promote. Also like someone else posted…make the ROAR Nationals an EVENT…same place…same hotel…same time of year. All of the big races do that why not ROAR?

Just my $0.02….back to work.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

+1
Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

I've been racing for many years.Saying some of thing things I've read on this page. Only once or twice in the late 80's have I attended a National event where ,there were the manufacturers holding seminars. As for a ROAR booth I did that for years at our state races- don't any more.I don't think you'll see the big races going with ROAR.Maybe the manufacturers could talk with the big race promoters about going with ROAR since they hold the purse strings.I would not like to be the ROAR person in the booth at one of these big races that does not support ROAR when a problem comes up.Just look at the last race ROAR got blamed for something and it was not a ROAR race.
ROAR has lost it base- the club level racing and affiliation.Here in florida there were clubs everywhere. Now go to the ROAR site and check on the clubs.What incentives do clubs or hobbyshops have beside the insurance angle?Yes there are rules but no guidence.Region directors most of the time are not like they were years ago.What does a Region director do now a days. Are there any articles about the racing in there area?They used to have to do articles every two months.When they go to races do they promote ROAR?Have an information area? Or do they just go there to race and have fun?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
ROAR has lost it base- the club level racing and affiliation.Here in florida there were clubs everywhere. Now go to the ROAR site and check on the clubs.What incentives do clubs or hobbyshops have beside the insurance angle?Yes there are rules but no guidence.Region directors most of the time are not like they were years ago.What does a Region director do now a days. Are there any articles about the racing in there area?They used to have to do articles every two months.When they go to races do they promote ROAR?Have an information area? Or do they just go there to race and have fun?
I think you may have hit the bigger nail on the head.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

BullFrog, Rick Hohwart, Mike Blackstock and others.

I really agree with the ideas and comments put forth. I'm hearing "we need change".

Well, making that change will take a massive move in our collective/current thought process not to mention the time/money and energy required --

My vision, I have been seriously thinking about, is a National Ranking System. (this is NOT a current ROAR AGENDA, my personal feelings, only) For an example, Look at this site: http://www.usara.com/current_rankings.aspx.
The National ranking would allow all elements of RC racing to be involved. Including the "local" races. The key elements are:

Participants (Drivers/mechanics)
Event Promoters
Track/Facility Owners
Product Distributers
Manufactures

We, I mean all of the interested parties listed above, need to look toward building a mechanism that adds value to the "events/racing" I see this done by by a National ranking system. There are multiple ways to integrate a program of this nature - it is a large step, but, in my mind, the need step to move us out of our current rut.

Last edited by Rich Browne; 03-19-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.