Search

Radio throttle/steering return springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Radio throttle/steering return springs

Hi guys,

in the middle of my second qualifier at our club races Tuesday night, the throttle centering spring let loose in my JR R-1 radio.

I know of others that have had their steering spring go on them.

My question is, does anyone know how or where to purchase this spring or one that will do the job WITHOUT having to send the entire radio back to Horizon for repair? The radio is out of warranty and between cross-border shipping hassles and the service charges for a SIMPLE repair, it looks like a real hassle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
Old 04-09-2004, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Does anyone have any insight as to where I can track down a spring that will work?

I know that the R-1 isn't as popular as the M8, or even the 3PK now but I'm sure they must be out there?
Old 04-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Try calling product support at Horizon Hobby. You may be able to get them to send you some instead of shipping your radio to them.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

I know a couple people that have tried that and they don't want anyone cracking the case.

I have to wait until after the long weekend to reach them to try personally, was just asking to see if anyone knew of another brand's or an alternate source for the spring.

Thanks for the help though..I will still at least try to get them direct from Horizon, I just don't expect much luck.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

did the spring break? i have had one slip off in a jr xr2 a while ago. i just put it back on, and all was fine. if you are out of warranty anyway, it won't hurt to open it up. despite the complexity of the electronic functions, there are only a few moving parts inside.

if you put your car together, you should be able to tackle this. just be gentle.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

I was able to repair it...but it actually shot the spring out...I was lucky to have found it...

I don't want to count on having that same luck again. I'd like to have a couple of spares. For the size of that spring, it wouldn't be worth more than a couple of dollars anyway....but having to pay a minimum service charge for a part worth a couple dollars, as well as shipping the entire unit, from Canada to the US and back again, plus being without a radio for however long it takes...just doesn't add up to me...

I'd rather have the springs handy and repair it myself again if I need to.

The cool part is that it appears they used the same spring for both throttle AND steering return.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Socko,

Check your PM man!!! I sent you a reply like twice....

And your email at work!!!

if you want you can email me directly at [email protected]

John
Old 04-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Horizon Hobby's official reply is that they sell no service parts directly and that I will have to send the radio in for repair.

So, please let me ask the question again....

does anyone know where I can source this spring, or an alternatitve so that I can have it as a spare on racedays...

Horizon has indicated that service for the repair would likely not be expensive...cost of spring plus $10-15 labour...plus shipping in both directions...

but the 3-4 working days in service plus 2-3 days each direction for shipping, plus 2-3 days each direction if I ship from Canada and it has to clear customs...doesn't do much to help keep me running when I need it.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris