Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC "limits"

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default ESC "limits"

I currently have an LRP IPC sport speedo with a recomended 14 turn motor limit (which I'm running at with no probs at all). Do you guys think I will be ok putting a 12 turn on it, as that is the national limit???

Cheers

Crashmaster
Old 04-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Smile ESC limits

Worse thing that will happen if you use a 12 turn is that the speedo might shut down. You might try to use a different gearing and increase the cooling by adding a heatsink and a fan to finish a race.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: ESC limits

Originally posted by danjoy25
Worse thing that will happen if you use a 12 turn is that the speedo might shut down. You might try to use a different gearing and increase the cooling by adding a heatsink and a fan to finish a race.
For every turn you go over the limit gear down 1 or 2 teeth. So I would gear down like 3 teeth to be safe.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, we have quite a small track anyway, but a 14 isn't really enough to get the speed.

The track

Thats the track we use.

Cheers

Crashmaster
Old 04-12-2004, 03:07 AM
Tech Addict

Hum, you're going to blow your speedo, or not have any of the advantages of a lower turn motor. I recommend getting a proper speedo.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

Small track? That track is what most people would call big. You could just gear the 14t to the moon and pump up the timing. The track looks so open I doubt a 12t would be that much of a difference.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

From the pic the track looks big, but its no where near as big as some of the circuits in Britain

A big UK track

Crashmaster
Old 04-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in the usa we call that big ha ha/.... almost to big...

u shopuld be able to get away with a 12 turn... the posted specs on most speedos, are not the minimum they will do.. they are mainly the minimum recomended ... the reason for this is repair reasons.... when they test them lets say they had thses ratings

10 turn 29 blew up
11 turn 26 blew up
12 turn 22 blew up..
13 turn. 17 blew up.
14 turn 2 blew up...

which would u use for a recomended minimum.... i remember bacvk in the old novak edays... we had old speedos rated at stock motor use only.. u could strap a 10 turn on them and run tyhem all day long no probs...

you have this option... u obviously need more power.. so either way u need a lower turn motor.. so... try it with the speedo and see what happens..... if it blows up then u have to get a new speedo anyway, cause u need more power for the lower mod...
Old 04-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah I know. I can't stand big tracks, but unfortuantely in the UK, they seem to want bigger and bigger tracks. Ours is very small in comparison to some (on some UK tracks you can just about stay full throttle constantly round the whole track...), but as it is quite tight it is a battery killer (people on 3300 dumped yesterday with 12 turn motors!!). Also I don't know if you can help me with this, but yesterday I tried my mates LRP pulsar competition charger, and I found that it charged my cells worse than my cheep 4A peak detection one!! Whats wrong with that??

Cheers
Crashmaster
Old 04-12-2004, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

when you used your buddies charger did u charge at a higher amperage??? like 5, 6, or 7 amps??? the higher the amp charge the less runtime u get.. when running mod u dont want to charge at a very high amp charge.. all the guys around my track use 5 amps.... the other thing to look at is how your chepo charger charges

some charge modes charge so u have runtime, but not as much peak power.. the lrp is a great charger and when used properly should charge better then any cheapo charger....
Old 04-12-2004, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, thats what I'm confused about. I charged them at 4A (to get a comparison to my charger) and i found that it wasn't as gud as I fought they would be...

Cheers
Crashmaster
Old 04-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

lol crashmaster, bedworth is not very big compared to tracks such as ashby and halifax.

here is halifax

some of you pro's might of been there for the reedy race of chimps last year.

the rostrum makes the track look small but the rostrum is huge, you could fit 20 peeps on there.

and here is ashby

these are what we call big tracks.

i would love to race on some of them cool tracks in the U but i can't and never will
Old 04-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

For ele their too big, too open, too dependant on equipment. You could drink a whole 6 pack as you watch your car go down the straight. They'd be ok for 1/5th scale though.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Heh and where i race in the Uk is tiny, Jubilee arena is a nice indoor tarmac track imo. Regarding the charge on the pulsar you probably had the incorrect m/v cell setting and peaked the cells too early. Mine has been fantastic and leagues ahead of the cheap charger i used to use.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

at halifax they run 10th leccy, 10th nitro rubert, 10th nitro foam (235mm), 8th circuit and 5th petrol cars.

at ashby i think they run 10th leccy and 10th nitro.

berger, i don't live that fara way from jubilee, about 30 mins in teh car i say...where abouts you from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.