Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 Touring Car Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/10 Touring Car Recommendations

Hi Guys,

I am not new to the scene but I am a little out of the loop......I am looking to buy a new car and get back into racing alongside my little brother. What would you guys recommend to us as the best racer where we will be pretty set up out of the box, and why? We will be running lipos and brushless so, which car will handle this the best? I am not sure about track surface...... probably carpet but I would like something that can also handle asphalt.

Future thanks for your comments and direction!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

The answer will depend on your budget and parts support in your area. Give us more info.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hardmankam
The answer will depend on your budget and parts support in your area. Give us more info.

From NYC. LHS are Big Apple Hobbies, Willis Hobbies

I definitely agree with you on part support and my LHSs are pretty good with most of the larger companies, HB, Team Associated, Losi, Xray, etc.

I am not sure of budget yet I am trying to estimate that by the car and class i want to race. I understand that getting started is the hardest and most expensive part....I will be using a 3PK which I have and I have a lipo charger.

I am just trying to feel out chassis opinions from the people who know them the best......The Racer!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Adept

I am not a racer myself, just a novice enjoying the hobby. This is my experience/suggestion:

If you are serious and want to stay in this hobby long term, get a top-tier car. Either new or 2nd hand depending on your budget. The car does not have to be the newest on the market, but say a xray t2'008/009 or TRF415 are good cars. Any one of these cars can win you a race if the setup is decent + good driving skills.

Each manufacturer makes a top-tier car, here are some options for you:
xray: T2'008, 009, T3
tamiya: TRF415, 416
HB: cyclone tc
TA: TC5
TOP: Photon

Out of the bunch, I like xray. their parts are very durable (although more costly) but you will not be sorry to get one.

Tamiya are easier to drive, parts are cheaper, but parts are not as good IMO.

While the other brands, I cannot comment, since I never tried them. I am very happy with my T2'008... so why change when you are happy of what you have... right?

my 1st car is a tamiya 415msxx, then the xray t2'008.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

IT really depends also on what class your going to drive--and the tracks your going to drive on!! Carpet--and HIGH BITE asphalt would usually require a lot of more expensive carbon fiber chassis to be very stiff. Low bite carpet and outdoor asphalt tracks with lower bite conditions actually sometimes work BETTER with the cheaper plastic chassis to allow a little more flex--LIke the HB Cyclone S --which I'm enjoying driving outside on low-bite tracks. It's also a great CHEAP way to start that is very popular---so if you decide later to move on to something else--makes it easy to sell. Also, I would stay with belt drive cars and cross drive motors to avoid dealing with shaft drive "torque" issues.
FWIW
Tim
Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M3TrackRat
Hi Guys,

I am not new to the scene but I am a little out of the loop......I am looking to buy a new car and get back into racing alongside my little brother. What would you guys recommend to us as the best racer where we will be pretty set up out of the box, and why? We will be running lipos and brushless so, which car will handle this the best? I am not sure about track surface...... probably carpet but I would like something that can also handle asphalt.

Future thanks for your comments and direction!
I offer the same advice every time someone asks this question.

You should go to the track that you are going to race at and find out which car the better drivers are using. If you buy that car, you will get lots of construction and setup help from them. If you're the only one at the track with car X and everyone is racing car Y, you'll be pretty much on your own.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by PDX-Spike
I offer the same advice every time someone asks this question.

You should go to the track that you are going to race at and find out which car the better drivers are using. If you buy that car, you will get lots of construction and setup help from them. If you're the only one at the track with car X and everyone is racing car Y, you'll be pretty much on your own.
This is great advice! This is also something I am in the process of doing but, what are your opinions on the current kits on the market currently? Is there one kit which is more capable and adaptable to different racing surfaces?

Thank you again and keep the info coming?