R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #91
Tech Master
 
Me_MrTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson View Post
Currently finding out my upgrade options mate....
Have found out my upgrade options..

There will be an option for upgrade by sending the current Black Diamond back to AE, but this option has not been worked though yet

Alex
__________________
v-dezign // black diamond

Hoot RC for Local Supplies > www.hootrc.com.au
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #92
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson View Post
Have found out my upgrade options..

There will be an option for upgrade by sending the current Black Diamond back to AE, but this option has not been worked though yet

Alex
I have recently read that this speedy is firmware upgradeable through the sensor port. Apparently they will be releasing a cable and software for this soon. As I can't find an official site for Advanced Electronics I don't know if this is correct but the information was supposedly from a distributor.
__________________
Blade: Andro Treiber H 79g AN
FH: Donic Bluefire M3 Max Blk
BH: Donic Bluefire M2 Max Red
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #93
Tech Master
 
Me_MrTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
I have recently read that this speedy is firmware upgradeable through the sensor port. Apparently they will be releasing a cable and software for this soon. As I can't find an official site for Advanced Electronics I don't know if this is correct but the information was supposedly from a distributor.
Dragonfire,

I have been talking direct with AE, they have confirmed there is a upgrade path for the software which shall require the ESC being sent back to factory.

Current version(v1) don't support any software updates, I think prodriver has tested the beta version of the software and said in a power phrase here "It is Feking Fast!" - his version was going to allow a software update I like to call this v2.

www address you asked for - http://www.advanced-electronics.se/indexrc.html

My own personal testing of this product you need to gear the FDR low due to it low down torque which is where it is winning over other power boosting products with it's abilty to fire out of corners...

Funny never looks fast the power is delivered so smooth.

Grant tested last Friday night at Windsor, come down this Friday put a 17.5 in (We are all running 17.5 makes the racing more exciting).

Alex
__________________
v-dezign // black diamond

Hoot RC for Local Supplies > www.hootrc.com.au
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #94
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 117
Default

I tested both BD V1 and Tekin V203 before TITC. I felt BD was a more complete ESC, because it has no clogging problem and drove almost like a traditional ESC, except it had incredible bottom end and faster top end. It only took me about 4-5 packs to find its optimum setting and gearing. I had to spend days on the Tekin to find a workable setting. BD V1's top end could not match Tekin 203, but BD drove really, really good.

At the TITC track, Tekin was slightly faster in terms of lap time, because the straightaway was super long. But I felt Tekin is less consistent, and had power fade problem in the last 2 minutes or so. BD was very consistent the entire 5 minutes, no power fade at all. The brake was also more precise and smoother than Tekin. BD was also faster in the infield, but it lost out on the straightaway. I believe on a small to mid size high bite track, BD would be very hard to beat. I heard they will release a new software soon, which could match the top end of Tekin. We will see.
andrew188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #95
Tech Master
 
Me_MrTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew188 View Post
I tested both BD V1 and Tekin V203 before TITC. I felt BD was a more complete ESC, because it has no clogging problem and drove almost like a traditional ESC, except it had incredible bottom end and faster top end. It only took me about 4-5 packs to find its optimum setting and gearing. I had to spend days on the Tekin to find a workable setting. BD V1's top end could not match Tekin 203, but BD drove really, really good.

At the TITC track, Tekin was slightly faster in terms of lap time, because the straightaway was super long. But I felt Tekin is less consistent, and had power fade problem in the last 2 minutes or so. BD was very consistent the entire 5 minutes, no power fade at all. The brake was also more precise and smoother than Tekin. BD was also faster in the infield, but it lost out on the straightaway. I believe on a small to mid size high bite track, BD would be very hard to beat. I heard they will release a new software soon, which could match the top end of Tekin. We will see.

Andrew thanks for the feedback, seems another driver is finding the low down torque and power delivery of this ESC very easy to manage.

Would you be happy to share you setup or findings?

Alex
__________________
v-dezign // black diamond

Hoot RC for Local Supplies > www.hootrc.com.au
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #96
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mongville
Posts: 6,978
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew188 View Post
I tested both BD V1 and Tekin V203 before TITC. I felt BD was a more complete ESC, because it has no clogging problem and drove almost like a traditional ESC, except it had incredible bottom end and faster top end. It only took me about 4-5 packs to find its optimum setting and gearing. I had to spend days on the Tekin to find a workable setting. BD V1's top end could not match Tekin 203, but BD drove really, really good.

At the TITC track, Tekin was slightly faster in terms of lap time, because the straightaway was super long. But I felt Tekin is less consistent, and had power fade problem in the last 2 minutes or so. BD was very consistent the entire 5 minutes, no power fade at all. The brake was also more precise and smoother than Tekin. BD was also faster in the infield, but it lost out on the straightaway. I believe on a small to mid size high bite track, BD would be very hard to beat. I heard they will release a new software soon, which could match the top end of Tekin. We will see.
Great post Andrew

However didnt you end up running a stock spec at TITC? What advantage did you find it had over the BD and Tekin?
__________________
12th Scale - The premier class (if you can make runtime)
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #97
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 117
Default

With SP V3 11.5T with timing almost maxed out, I ended up running final gear of 4.2, with profile 5 with the BD V1. The motor temp was around 90 degree C. If the track condition was not extremely good, the lap time was actually equal or slightly better than the Tekin, because I was able to control the power much more accurately and it was very predictable in the high and medium speed corners. When the track condition became extremely good a couple of days before the race, the Tekin became slightly faster in terms of lap time.

I was able to get a SXX SS on Thursday evening. I ran 3 packs with it on that day. I found it to be the best of both worlds at that time. It was very driveable, and the top speed was almost as fast as the Tekin. But it clogged slightly several times during the race. When it clogged, I thought my race was over, but luckily it became normal again after 2-3 laps. I think I could find better setup if I had more time with it. I was told if I burn the handout motor, I would be out of the race, so I was quite cautious most of the time.

The Tekin had another issue, which was everytime I make some changes to the settings, the brake got affected and I had to take at least 1 lap to readjust the EPA on my radio. The throttle was not linear, so it was more difficult to control the power in the mid and high speed corners. I had to think about when the turbo was going to kick in and make sure it doesn't kick in at the wrong place and mess up the driving line.

I really liked the BD, it was very well built, and felt like very high quality. No plastics. I will get mine updated and test the new software.

Last edited by andrew188; 03-23-2010 at 11:20 PM.
andrew188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #98
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mongville
Posts: 6,978
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew188 View Post
.
Another great post dude, thanks for the explanation.

Great to hear from someone who has tested them all in a controlled environment.
Have you tried the zero delay tubro on the tekin? I too hated the feel of the turbo kick, but the zero delay style feels more like old skool BL. Similar to the feel of when i had a few laps with the car with the BD in it.
__________________
12th Scale - The premier class (if you can make runtime)
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #99
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 117
Default

You are most welcome. We are all in this hobby for the love of it, I am just luckly to live at a place with good tracks

With the Tekin, I tried many different combinations, including 0 delay. With 0 delay vs 0.5 delay, the motor temp went up about 5 degrees, and I felt there are still some delay. The throttle was not smooth and I didn't quite like the feeling.

I had a friend with a speed gun to take the speed at the end of the straight away. My car with the Tekin was at around 82-83 kph in the first few laps, then quickly dropped off to around 72 kph.

Hope it helps
andrew188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #100
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew188 View Post
You are most welcome. We are all in this hobby for the love of it, I am just luckly to live at a place with good tracks

With the Tekin, I tried many different combinations, including 0 delay. With 0 delay vs 0.5 delay, the motor temp went up about 5 degrees, and I felt there are still some delay. The throttle was not smooth and I didn't quite like the feeling.

I had a friend with a speed gun to take the speed at the end of the straight away. My car with the Tekin was at around 82-83 kph in the first few laps, then quickly dropped off to around 72 kph.

Hope it helps

Andrew,

With the Tekin did you ever use the callibrate at 90% throttle and then move back to 100% throttle?

That can avoid the "fade"
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #101
Tech Master
 
Me_MrTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
Another great post dude, thanks for the explanation.

Great to hear from someone who has tested them all in a controlled environment.
Have you tried the zero delay tubro on the tekin? I too hated the feel of the turbo kick, but the zero delay style feels more like old skool BL. Similar to the feel of when i had a few laps with the car with the BD in it.
I too agree with Bradd great post mate..

Also found out you came in the top 3 at TITC very good result...

Your setup advice has pointed me in a new direction for my 12th, trying to work out if 60-64 rolllout will work round our local track..

Did you find any over heating problems with the Black Diamond? can replace a motor but BD are very hard to come accross.
__________________
v-dezign // black diamond

Hoot RC for Local Supplies > www.hootrc.com.au
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #102
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 117
Default

I have not tried recalibrating my radio at 90%. I have heard that that would solve the power fade problem. I was thinking if I had to do that, then there must be something quite wrong with the firmware. I should have tried it, but didn't because I felt the trigger working window for the Tekin was already smaller than other ESCs. Initially, it feel like no response, then suddenly the response increased at an exponential rate. Changing the Throttle setting didn't help neither. I think V203 is still quite raw at the moment, but I am sure they will improve it shortly.

With the BD, I had no overheating problem with the ESC. It was around 55+ degree C most of the time. One thing you have to pay attention which is not to short the capacitor. Since the wires connected to the capacitors are quite thick and stiff, when try to bend the wires, it may caused the capacitor to short. This is the same for all other ESC, just be more cautious due to the thicker/stiffer wires. Other than that, I feel BD is rock solid. It doesn't do crazy things to the motors as well, very predictable I believe.

Normally, when I need to find the settings and gearing for a new ESC or motor, I tried to hit the extremes to find the right direction, then focus in to fine tune it. You can try similar approach, that could help you find the right settings in shorter time. Just be sure to temp your motors after every 3-4 laps to ensure it doesn't burn.
andrew188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #103
Tech Master
 
Me_MrTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew188 View Post
I have not tried recalibrating my radio at 90%. I have heard that that would solve the power fade problem. I was thinking if I had to do that, then there must be something quite wrong with the firmware. I should have tried it, but didn't because I felt the trigger working window for the Tekin was already smaller than other ESCs. Initially, it feel like no response, then suddenly the response increased at an exponential rate. Changing the Throttle setting didn't help neither. I think V203 is still quite raw at the moment, but I am sure they will improve it shortly.

With the BD, I had no overheating problem with the ESC. It was around 55+ degree C most of the time. One thing you have to pay attention which is not to short the capacitor. Since the wires connected to the capacitors are quite thick and stiff, when try to bend the wires, it may caused the capacitor to short. This is the same for all other ESC, just be more cautious due to the thicker/stiffer wires. Other than that, I feel BD is rock solid. It doesn't do crazy things to the motors as well, very predictable I believe.

Normally, when I need to find the settings and gearing for a new ESC or motor, I tried to hit the extremes to find the right direction, then focus in to fine tune it. You can try similar approach, that could help you find the right settings in shorter time. Just be sure to temp your motors after every 3-4 laps to ensure it doesn't burn.

Andrew thanks for that good to hear BD able to work so well in these conditions also will double check the capacitor.

Shall gear where I think it should be about 63 rollout and temp test after a few laps. Needs to last a 8 minute race so really needing to be careful as my Tekin went poooof after only 4 minutes.

Alex
__________________
v-dezign // black diamond

Hoot RC for Local Supplies > www.hootrc.com.au
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #104
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson View Post
Andrew thanks for that good to hear BD able to work so well in these conditions also will double check the capacitor.

Shall gear where I think it should be about 63 rollout and temp test after a few laps. Needs to last a 8 minute race so really needing to be careful as my Tekin went poooof after only 4 minutes.

Alex
Hi MrTyson,

I have seen some racers do crazy things to the Tekin and the hardware seems to be bulletproof. If it got burned in 1/12th scale, then your unit may be defective, perhaps you can get it claimed. I heard that the RS Pro has twice as many FETs as other ESCs, so it supposed to be bulletrproof.

For a big event like TITC, it really came down to less than 0.1s per lap between Siri and myself during qualifyings. He was faster than me in 2 rounds, and I was faster than him in 2 rounds, which I flipped in one of them (that flip appeared in my nightmare over and over after). That flip caused me the overall TQ, which could have made a difference in the finals. Before the race, I predicted it was going to be really close as there were many good drivers, so every slight difference in lap time was important. I prepared 2 Cyclones with the exact same setup, electronics, tires for back to back testings of the ESCs, to try to get the most meaningful comparisons. I felt getting the optimum ESC, car setup and driving style was the key for this year's race. The ESCs were a big factor because it brought so much more power to stock racing, in such different ways. I learned a lot thru the testings, so if you have any question, just feel free to ask and I would be glad to help if I can.
andrew188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 AM   #105
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew188 View Post
Hi MrTyson,

I have seen some racers do crazy things to the Tekin and the hardware seems to be bulletproof. If it got burned in 1/12th scale, then your unit may be defective, perhaps you can get it claimed. I heard that the RS Pro has twice as many FETs as other ESCs, so it supposed to be bulletrproof.

Andrew, you dont know Alex. Nothing is indestructible in his hands. And his Tekin was replaced immediately under warranty. He just elected to sell it
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:31 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net