R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #781
Tech Elite

Woukld appear so far that the best thing with these ESC's is to set the 'mid timing' to the desired level (40 is the V2 default on profile 5) and disable the top timing (turbo) completely

I would advise setting each profile up 5 degees at a time, so my profile 2 is 40deg, p3 is 45deg etc. and remember to drop a few pinions or you will cook your motor.

Perhaps best to get reasonable pace with 40deg timing, then go up 5deg and drop pinions then try again.

The x12's run very hot so you will have to gear them down a lot.
The HPI Flux Pro also seems to come with advanced timing, even when set to 0deg on the can.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #782
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Can't remember how many blinks but there was a flashing red led on mine when the sensor cable was duff.
4 flashing red for a sensor issue,
3 is a battery issue, or bad voltage selection.
Ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #783
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post

That's not the case for me.. I tried 2 different receiver packs that have been tested and its on the correct battery selection for 1s
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #784
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Woukld appear so far that the best thing with these ESC's is to set the 'mid timing' to the desired level (40 is the V2 default on profile 5) and disable the top timing (turbo) completely

I would advise setting each profile up 5 degees at a time, so my profile 2 is 40deg, p3 is 45deg etc. and remember to drop a few pinions or you will cook your motor.

Perhaps best to get reasonable pace with 40deg timing, then go up 5deg and drop pinions then try again.

The x12's run very hot so you will have to gear them down a lot.
The HPI Flux Pro also seems to come with advanced timing, even when set to 0deg on the can.

Skiddins
I have also found that disabling the top timing you get better results, less heat and and easier to gear.

I have found that when using both t1 and t2 you don't know how much timing has been applied in the t1 stage, before t2 stage engages.

so, if t1 has got to 35 degrees timing of a maximum of say 40 and t2 engages at say 50 degrees, the speedo would apply the full 50 degrees and would jump up by 15 degrees. this is where I find I'm generating heat in the motor.

current setting are t1, 1800 rpm, 45 degrees, 20% throttle, fdr 5.91, motor Gm 17.5, 22m X 12m carpet track. temp 65

21.5 turn at stcc west london. t1 2000rpm 50 degrees 20% throttle, fdr 4.0.

I first tried turning off the top timing in the 3rd final at west london went from 17.81 to 17.54 best lap time and knocked 10 degrees of the motor temp.
matt prigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #785
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

STUPID MISSING DRIVERS!!!! okay i got it now..... HORAY FOR ME!

Last edited by joeymdz; 09-28-2011 at 10:12 AM.
joeymdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #786
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt prigmore View Post
I have also found that disabling the top timing you get better results, less heat and and easier to gear.

I have found that when using both t1 and t2 you don't know how much timing has been applied in the t1 stage, before t2 stage engages.

so, if t1 has got to 35 degrees timing of a maximum of say 40 and t2 engages at say 50 degrees, the speedo would apply the full 50 degrees and would jump up by 15 degrees. this is where I find I'm generating heat in the motor.

current setting are t1, 1800 rpm, 45 degrees, 20% throttle, fdr 5.91, motor Gm 17.5, 22m X 12m carpet track. temp 65

21.5 turn at stcc west london. t1 2000rpm 50 degrees 20% throttle, fdr 4.0.

I first tried turning off the top timing in the 3rd final at west london went from 17.81 to 17.54 best lap time and knocked 10 degrees of the motor temp.
We certainly found at Colchester that having 20% initial throttle made the car smoother, we still can't understand why.

Hopefully have a new Reedy motor by tomorrow (melted mine at the STCC) will test again.

Skiddins
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #787
Tech Rookie

Default bd with x12 17.5

Hi everyone

i have been running the lrp x12 17.5 motor with the bd this is what i found my settings are

start timing is 1500
mid timing only 22
end rpm 6500
delay is 5ms
top timing is only 25

Then i just gear the car for speed to suit the track if i add more timing all i get is heat. we all tend to use lots off esc timing now a days and forget how important the right gearing is. all tracks are different even the same track will be different from week to week.

my motor is now about 65 deg after a 5min run. i did try 25 deg start timing with top timing off and the motor went over 100 deg. brushless motors have lots off toque to be used if you apply to much timing to early all thats added is heat but we no that already lol.

hope this helps
clean.racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #788
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean.racer View Post
Hi everyone

i have been running the lrp x12 17.5 motor with the bd this is what i found my settings are

start timing is 1500
mid timing only 22
end rpm 6500
delay is 5ms
top timing is only 25

Then i just gear the car for speed to suit the track if i add more timing all i get is heat. we all tend to use lots off esc timing now a days and forget how important the right gearing is. all tracks are different even the same track will be different from week to week.

my motor is now about 65 deg after a 5min run. i did try 25 deg start timing with top timing off and the motor went over 100 deg. brushless motors have lots off toque to be used if you apply to much timing to early all thats added is heat but we no that already lol.

hope this helps
That's one of the reasons we stopped using the top timing, let the esc control it all as it see's fit.

When I ran a 10.5 LRP x12 with the BD (using v2.1) @ WLRC I had to use 4dot insert and profile 4 (30deg) and gear down to 7.4 to stop it from melting.

Try gearing down a few pinions with 25deg timing and see what that does (temp it after a couple of mins to make sure)
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #789
Tech Rookie

Quote:
That's one of the reasons we stopped using the top timing, let the esc control it all as it see's fit.

When I ran a 10.5 LRP x12 with the BD (using v2.1) @ WLRC I had to use 4dot insert and profile 4 (30deg) and gear down to 7.4 to stop it from melting.

Try gearing down a few pinions with 25deg timing and see what that does (temp it after a couple of mins to make sure)
hello skiddins

i have the 4 dot insert fitted to lol. when i tried 25 deg mid timing i was on a 26 pinion and it got hot so went to 28 then 30 each time it run cooler i no the lrp likes to rev but not on the bd i think its the drive frequency off the bd it has so much grunt out the corners.

it was good 2 drive my best lap was 11.30 and my adv was 11.54 so i cant complain

more testing needed i think mate
Old 09-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #790
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
Are there any other error/led codes that we should know about for future use? Would like to make a note of these.
Andy Koback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #791
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=I first tried turning off the top timing in the 3rd final at west london went from 17.81 to 17.54 best lap time and knocked 10 degrees of the motor temp.[/QUOTE]

do you not think that the drying track and better setup may have had more an affect on your fastest lap time than the esc settings? ie diffrent springs that you fitted?

if you had tried that setting in the heats with a wet track would you have had the same result?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #792
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=clean.racer;

if you had tried that setting in the heats with a wet track would you have had the same result?[/QUOTE]

Nope as the track in the finals was dry and the springs were changed after the first final. I think buddy that we need to come up with a more scientific way of testing on club nights.

There's a use for t2, but it would be much easier if knew how much time has been added in the t1 phase.
matt prigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #793
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean.racer View Post
hello skiddins

i have the 4 dot insert fitted to lol. when i tried 25 deg mid timing i was on a 26 pinion and it got hot so went to 28 then 30 each time it run cooler i no the lrp likes to rev but not on the bd i think its the drive frequency off the bd it has so much grunt out the corners.

it was good 2 drive my best lap was 11.30 and my adv was 11.54 so i cant complain

more testing needed i think mate
But what was the speed of the car as you dropped the pinions?

What ratio did you start on and end on with those pinion changes?
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #794
Tech Regular

Quote:
For those of you who want a slightly more convenient way of looking at the manual ;

Right here goes, another question, about to start 1/12th pan 10.5 blinky

Bd esc, savox sevo, sanwa exeze RX, 1s lipo. Is it best to connect my 6.6v life reciever pack directly to the RX or should I connect it to pins 4 and 5 of BD

Any thoughts on a pro red in a 1/12th too much torque or should I go with something more revy?

Thanks

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #795
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
Right here goes, another question, about to start 1/12th pan 10.5 blinky

Bd esc, savox sevo, sanwa exeze RX, 1s lipo. Is it best to connect my 6.6v life reciever pack directly to the RX or should I connect it to pins 4 and 5 of BD

Any thoughts on a pro red in a 1/12th too much torque or should I go with something more revy?
I would have thought with the voltage being so similar you could do either, but go to the esc if you want to play safe.

I'm not sure how 1s will effect the performance of a Pro Red, but you could probably use anything, you just need to find the correct gearing and the right amount of timing not to cook things.

Skiddins
RCDisco.co.uk