R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #421
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Technically, I did have the Tekin in for the "spec" blinkly classes at IIC. My thinking that it was not going to matter who's speedo was in play for the no-timing classes. What I did like from Tekin was the push control setting in wgt 13.5 no time class. It kept the car rolling into the corners instead of dumping the throttle off. For what it's worth, Mario's wgt car had a BD in it only 2.4 seconds back.

I used the BD in 13.5 12th which was a timed class and I did have the current upgrade. The BD is quite strong out of the hole and through the middle. It did eventually finish 5th in the A, but I did have to drive through the back door to get there. I don't think that you will get any argument that Tekin wins the top fuel award down the straight. I had several Tekins put 3-5 car lengths on my BD in the last half of the straight for the first 4 minutes, then it was rather even. In the end, I would have to say the BD is .05/lap faster at the end. They are both outstanding products. They just preform slightly differently. You just need to decide which is best for your 8 minutes.

It's interesting that someone used a BD in spec mode and thought it was slower then Tekin. I took my boosted BD car to our home track for a 13.5 no-boost class. After switching it to spec mode, I was looking for more power all day. I tq'ed and won the main by 5 seconds over a very talented Sean Maybell, but I felt like there should have been more under the hood. I wont be back there for several more weeks, but I will test a Tekin vs BD in spec mode.

Kelly, I understand where you're coming from. I purchased all 3 of my Tekins. If Tekin helped me win a race, it's because I made the right purchase. For what it's worth, I purchased the BD too. They are both great speedo's.

Brian
You running both speedos just goes to show when your cars are awesome and dont scrub it doesnt matter what speedo you run you'll be fast! Great job at the IIC!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks! Both my 17.5 12th and wgt were great to drive. It was the 13.5 12th that needed to be taken away! What I liked about the BD was it's simplicity. Set in mode #5 and then go figure out your motor/roll out sweet spot. I am going to go out on a limb and say that BD had the bulk of the 13.5 12th main. It did TQ. Gotta give credit to Donny and Tekin for the win. CRC GenXL's made up 7 out of 10 cars and I suspect that they all were armed with a BD.
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #423
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Yea its hard to beat a team that works together, has a well designed car and all run the same equipment. It really makes it a lot easier to get testing done in limited practice and get everyone dialed in. CRC has been on point the past couple of years thats for sure!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 AM   #424
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Yea its hard to beat a team that works together, has a well designed car and all run the same equipment. It really makes it a lot easier to get testing done in limited practice and get everyone dialed in. CRC has been on point the past couple of years thats for sure!

EA
I find that very easy to believe. I have been running 12th for a short time now using a full CRC package of chassis, battery, tires and the BD. I have had some very good results and I am still learning what does what with the car. It nice to know that even when I don't get it all right the package has enough speed to get me there anyway.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:19 AM   #425
Tech Elite

i also think that, in the blinky classes, it might have something to do with which car you have it in. my wgt car seemed to have the proper amount of power all week, where i was alway looking for more out of my 1/12.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #426
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Technically, I did have the Tekin in for the "spec" blinkly classes at IIC. My thinking that it was not going to matter who's speedo was in play for the no-timing classes. What I did like from Tekin was the push control setting in wgt 13.5 no time class. It kept the car rolling into the corners instead of dumping the throttle off. For what it's worth, Mario's wgt car had a BD in it only 2.4 seconds back.

I used the BD in 13.5 12th which was a timed class and I did have the current upgrade. The BD is quite strong out of the hole and through the middle. It did eventually finish 5th in the A, but I did have to drive through the back door to get there. I don't think that you will get any argument that Tekin wins the top fuel award down the straight. I had several Tekins put 3-5 car lengths on my BD in the last half of the straight for the first 4 minutes, then it was rather even. In the end, I would have to say the BD is .05/lap faster at the end. They are both outstanding products. They just preform slightly differently. You just need to decide which is best for your 8 minutes.

It's interesting that someone used a BD in spec mode and thought it was slower then Tekin. I took my boosted BD car to our home track for a 13.5 no-boost class. After switching it to spec mode, I was looking for more power all day. I tq'ed and won the main by 5 seconds over a very talented Sean Maybell, but I felt like there should have been more under the hood. I wont be back there for several more weeks, but I will test a Tekin vs BD in spec mode.

Kelly, I understand where you're coming from. I purchased all 3 of my Tekins. If Tekin helped me win a race, it's because I made the right purchase. For what it's worth, I purchased the BD too. They are both great speedo's.

Brian
From the CRC website photos of the CRC winning cars, the picture of your winning 17.5 car was actually your 13.5 car as it has a BD in it. I guess Frank did not want any Tekin pictures on his webiste!
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #427
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Did you notice that Jaco was "obliqued" in the background too. Hey, if I was footin' the bill, I would showcase my products too! After all, this is business for some, entertainment for others. Point is; these are two great pieces of equipment - pick your pistol.

Another prop; I ran two Novak motors in 17.5 and felt both were faster then Duo that only sees big races. Chose Novak for 13.5 too. I'm gonna have tough time prying them out of the cars.... they're fast!
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #428
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just thought I would mention that I just recently watched a BD decimate the 21.5 field at the final rnd of the Club Challenge here in oz. In a class where outright speed makes a difference he lacked nothing but had a huge power advantage. It was teamed with a Tekin 21.5 motor so it might be worth some time to have a play with one of these.