Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC >

Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC

Like Tree2Likes

Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC

Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

my BD went up in smoke last night (only 2 meets old and only 17.5 motors)

connected the battery and off it went (yes it was connected the right way as my leads are different length)

bit if a suprise as this is my first fried ESC in probably 6 years,

what is the repair/warranty process?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

YGPM Rod
Old 09-18-2010, 02:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rod M
my BD went up in smoke last night (only 2 meets old and only 17.5 motors)

connected the battery and off it went (yes it was connected the right way as my leads are different length)

bit if a suprise as this is my first fried ESC in probably 6 years,

what is the repair/warranty process?
First one I've ever heard of in the entire world. It will have to sent to Advanced, I'll PM you to organize this.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default BD LIMITED PROFILE

I ran at the IIC in the 13.5 and 17.5 1/12th classes. Im afraid to say the BD in limited is slow compared to other Escs . I beleive there is not a level playing field as regards the limited profile out puts. I wasnt down on motor horse power in 17.5 as i was using Kenny Lamberts spare motor. When i tried a tekin in a practice run i was almost a second a lap faster.

Did any one else use a BD in limited profile 17.5 1/12th what is your opinion of the controler.
In 13.5 it was awsome.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tellan
I ran at the IIC in the 13.5 and 17.5 1/12th classes. Im afraid to say the BD in limited is slow compared to other Escs . I beleive there is not a level playing field as regards the limited profile out puts. I wasnt down on motor horse power in 17.5 as i was using Kenny Lamberts spare motor. When i tried a tekin in a practice run i was almost a second a lap faster.

Did any one else use a BD in limited profile 17.5 1/12th what is your opinion of the controler.
In 13.5 it was awsome.
Brian Bodine was TQ and won the IIC 17.5 1/12th limited class using a Black Diamond. He turned consistant 10.5 lap times.

https://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules....rder=0&thold=0
Old 09-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Crashby
Brian Bodine was TQ and won the IIC 17.5 1/12th limited class using a Black Diamond. He turned consistant 10.5 lap times.

Can't really argue against that! To me it seems such a waste to use such a great ESC without the timing. The great thing about the BD is that you have the power of timing advance with the throttle control of an old school esc.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In 13.5 it was awsome.

Sounds like someone got it right. I think you will find getting the best performance out of a non dynamic profile will take some work with both gearing and the motors fixed timing setting. Basically its back to school and if you haven't done your home work don't expect to get an A.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default Im stumped

Certainely there was a desparity in speed with a number of cars in 17.5 limited. As regards motor and gearing etc.
I borrowed Kenny Lamberts spare motor ,rollout etc. So what else could i do. When i had a couple of practice runs with the a tekin i went almost 1 sec faster per lap and that equates to 3 laps plus on my time.
Having driven a faultless race in qualifying my best was only 41 laps.Well off the pace.
I still believe the limited profile is not a level playing field as regards performance and power out put.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:36 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

In 13.5 it was awsome.
Bummer

Last edited by OVA; 09-25-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Certainely there was a desparity in speed with a number of cars in 17.5 limited. As regards motor and gearing etc.
I borrowed Kenny Lamberts spare motor ,rollout etc. So what else could i do. When i had a couple of practice runs with the a tekin i went almost 1 sec faster per lap and that equates to 3 laps plus on my time.
Having driven a faultless race in qualifying my best was only 41 laps.Well off the pace.
I still believe the limited profile is not a level playing field as regards performance and power out put.
If I get time I can sit down on the dyno and dyno all the speedo's I have or have access to and compare their limited profiles. Finding a V2 BD would be the problem here. I know someone who has the original but is profile 1 on it the same as the limited profile on the new one?

EA
Old 09-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

He was running a Tekin

http://www.teamtekin.com/2010-vegas-iic.html

"Tekin also found the podium’s top spots:

Stock Rubber 17.5 Sedan 1st place Dustin Layne, 3rd Brian Stanton

World GT 13.5 1st place Brian Bodine, 4th Monte Hess, 5th Tim Copp

Expert WGT 10.5 2nd place Pete DAgnolo, 4th Donny Lia 17.5

1-12 GTP 1st place Brian Bodine, 2nd Mike Hanulec, 3rd , 4th Tim Pandiscio"

Hope that helps

Last edited by Kenny L; 09-25-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kenny L
He was running a Tekin

http://www.teamtekin.com/2010-vegas-iic.html

"Tekin also found the podium’s top spots:

Stock Rubber 17.5 Sedan 1st place Dustin Layne, 3rd Brian Stanton

World GT 13.5 1st place Brian Bodine, 4th Monte Hess, 5th Tim Copp

Expert WGT 10.5 2nd place Pete DAgnolo, 4th Donny Lia 17.5

1-12 GTP 1st place Brian Bodine, 2nd Mike Hanulec, 3rd Kelly Bean, 4th Tim Pandiscio"

Hope that helps
Dear Tekin,
Please take my name off of you’re website and anything else you might use it for. I did not give you permission to use my name for any type of advertising. I did not put anything down on my sponsorship sheet nor did they announce the type of speed controller I was using.

Thank you,
Kelly Bean
Old 09-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Sounds like someone got it right. I think you will find getting the best performance out of a non dynamic profile will take some work with both gearing and the motors fixed timing setting. Basically its back to school and if you haven't done your home work don't expect to get an A.
Yes, Much testing required!

It will be hardest for those who've come to rely on tekin type dial on power (LIKE ME..I still love it!)
Old 09-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Technically, I did have the Tekin in for the "spec" blinkly classes at IIC. My thinking that it was not going to matter who's speedo was in play for the no-timing classes. What I did like from Tekin was the push control setting in wgt 13.5 no time class. It kept the car rolling into the corners instead of dumping the throttle off. For what it's worth, Mario's wgt car had a BD in it only 2.4 seconds back.

I used the BD in 13.5 12th which was a timed class and I did have the current upgrade. The BD is quite strong out of the hole and through the middle. It did eventually finish 5th in the A, but I did have to drive through the back door to get there. I don't think that you will get any argument that Tekin wins the top fuel award down the straight. I had several Tekins put 3-5 car lengths on my BD in the last half of the straight for the first 4 minutes, then it was rather even. In the end, I would have to say the BD is .05/lap faster at the end. They are both outstanding products. They just preform slightly differently. You just need to decide which is best for your 8 minutes.

It's interesting that someone used a BD in spec mode and thought it was slower then Tekin. I took my boosted BD car to our home track for a 13.5 no-boost class. After switching it to spec mode, I was looking for more power all day. I tq'ed and won the main by 5 seconds over a very talented Sean Maybell, but I felt like there should have been more under the hood. I wont be back there for several more weeks, but I will test a Tekin vs BD in spec mode.

Kelly, I understand where you're coming from. I purchased all 3 of my Tekins. If Tekin helped me win a race, it's because I made the right purchase. For what it's worth, I purchased the BD too. They are both great speedo's.

Brian
Old 09-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by whynot
Do you guys running the BD in 1s 12 scale use receiver batteries? does anyone use a booster. reason I am asking is cause I think I ruined my li-fe pack I charged it up and been playing around with the car setting up the radio and driving it around on my kitchen floor lol and it died on me. so I went to charge it and the charger is at 0.0 amps I have it set to .2 but it doesnt seem to want to charge it now.I have ready where your not supposed to discharger to low until it is broken in.I think it showed 3.2 volts when I started to charge it it went up to 4.3 and stopped. should I try charging it again? sorry for the long post and rambling lol
mike
I use a 180mah Losi 2s pack on mine. I really think that it would run 3 to 4 runs per charge, but I chicken out and bump it every time. I use the AC charger that comes with the pack; when the green light come "on", it's time to tear it up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.