R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Resurgence of F1?

It seems there is a resurgence of F1 in r/c lately,I know I am hooked.
I like the simplicity,speed(or w/silvercan,the controlability)lack of having to get "the latest"equip(and the speedo wars).the cost,and most importantly--
THE FUN and realism,I hope it continuesI just hope it does not go down the
drain-- I know VTA is a lot of fun also,for the same reasons.
Anyone else share my thoughts? And as to why it seemed to die out in earlier years,so I can try to keep it alive in my area.
Also- how is F1 doing in your area?
F! Metal Militia,VTA NATION--Team SloMoFo
losi 8t,mbx5t,rc8
rc8,Kyosho rb5,SCR
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #2

I love F1!!
Attached Thumbnails
Resurgence of F1?-grid.jpg   Resurgence of F1?-rc_15.jpg   Resurgence of F1?-rc_18.jpg  
RobsPics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Doing good in my area!

I think the scale realism has been a big + for the racers who have been running cars that got away from "real cars", like TC and the older off-road classes. Short course trucks are taking off big time and they look the part, just like on TV (at three in the morning).
If only endurance racing was a thing.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

F1 is want got me into this hobby, just wish they come up with a brushless motor to replace the silver can. the track that's close to me has f1 racing every one in awhile,so it's slowly coimng along
handle the business, before the busines handles you
terryh1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

one of the reasons it slowly died out was when touring cars came out. kyosho and hpi jumped on board with the touring cars and dropped the f1 cars.tamiya was the only one left that was easily avaible but didnt have a wide gear choice.crc made one but not many ran it .not all tracks allowed the crc f1 to run with 1/12 scale tires .the crc was set up for 1/10 scale foams but you could buy 1/12 scale axles to make it run on smaller tires. but i am glad it making a come back.if you have drag racing in your area the tamiya f1 is a great drag car in pro stock.it is very light and has best down force.
ww29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Last summer F1 was really popular. It has pretty much died now. The reason I sold my car was everyone was talking running brushless. I loved the class because it was cheap and fast enough with a silver can.
A large part of their history is made up of blood and battle. This is not something to shrink away from as a fancier of the breed. Their history should be embraced, understood, and once we have a full understanding, we can control the future.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Out here were running foam tire class and rubber tire class--- with Tamiya F103's F104's and the new HPI 10!! All the cars are very competitive with each other-- are FUN to race and very equal. As long as the Silver cans are run together--the racing will be equal.
But--21.5 brushless has been running together---however, with the new Tekin speed controllers--the 21.5 motors are BALLISTIC now!! So--they'll have to be a brushed silver can--and brushless 21.5 class. Should be no problem--
I've been able to get my HPI car competitive on rubber tires--the 103 on rubber tires OR foam tires--and the 104 on foams. All handle equally well--
so time to break out your F-1's and bring em to West Coast---TQ and Tamiya!! Let's run them!!!
timmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

F-1 has gotten very popular in Nor-Cal. Most of the clubs and tracks in my area are running it with great turn outs. I have run F-1 with the early F-103s F-201s and now again with a 15th Ann. F-103. it is by far my favorite class of RC to race. As mentioned above it has some great looking cars, it is cheap to run, has some great racing and puts every one on a level playing field. And the fact that Tamiya pushes the TCS series always brings more racers out when one is held at any local track.
TheOtherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

At my club we have for the coming year the f1 class.It is with an 21t brushed motor which cost around 7 euro's(11 $).
Last night they tested it at our indoor track,results are not known te me,but it was for testing the speedo which costs about 20 euro's(27$ ?).

So you can see it is a budget class,with a bit of speed.
The idee behind it to have a low level entry class for young drivers and people who are tired of all the speedo,lipo etc costs/war.

Only problem over here is how to fit the corally f1 in the regulations,there is a tendancy to only allow the use of 44mm wide foam tyres.The proten/f1 tyres are 52mm wide.
But in my opinion there is with the power of a 21t brushed motor not a real advantage of a wider tyre.
But more a disadvantage,but we will see.

First get the people to run the cars,then make a proper set of rules which go in to the size of the tires,lipo's etc etc
kc steringa is offline   Reply With Quote