BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support >

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
AOD
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by protc3
Keep in mind, this does not mean i am releasing a new car right now.
How about now!!! Keep up the great work Jason.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ha ha. Thanks buddy. I will post more pics soon as i have made a few more mods to the car for the next time out. Next time out is going to be with links and springs. I have the tried and true flex plates ready to go back on if i dont like the links.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Earlier I had been thinking about a centerline in-line battery with the servo on one side using a bell crank and the ESC on the other thinking that the weight of the servo and ESC are much closer than the ESC and the reciever...but this got me thinking again. As much as I dislike the idea of an in-line battery off-set from the centerline...the weight balance might work out even better with an off-set battery with the servo and ESC on the other side. This way could potentially balance out better not just left to right but back to front as well. Typically a 1/12th balanced left to right is going to have a little more weight toward the front on the side the servo is off-set on. I remember Slapmaster was messing around with a bell crank idea too...don't remember if he off-set the battery though.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Earlier I had been thinking about a centerline in-line battery with the servo on one side using a bell crank and the ESC on the other thinking that the weight of the servo and ESC are much closer than the ESC and the reciever...but this got me thinking again. As much as I dislike the idea of an in-line battery off-set from the centerline...the weight balance might work out even better with an off-set battery with the servo and ESC on the other side. This way could potentially balance out better not just left to right but back to front as well. Typically a 1/12th balanced left to right is going to have a little more weight toward the front on the side the servo is off-set on. I remember Slapmaster was messing around with a bell crank idea too...don't remember if he off-set the battery though.
Looks like it would work !
Build it and bring it to iic
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Well a couple things hold me back...I'm still not a fan of having the battery on one side...and I don't have the equipment to make something like that.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 AM
Tech Lord

I will post a pic as soon as i can but the car i have can run the battery offset and lengthwise like you posted. The car balances out perfectly as it does with all of the configurations. The difference is that i did not move the servo towards the rear. After my testing on Wednesday, I will take pictures of the 3 mounting options.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Tech Lord

With the battery inline, the weight was still offset to the rear as the balance point is still well behind the front pivot location of the links or flex plates. The front mount battery has the furthest forward weight bias of all 3 positions and did yield the fastest lap times and most consistent runs. The balance point though is still behind the front pivots.
The forward weight positioning does work very well for high bite carpet as it definitely makes the car more smooth and easier to drive. It is not nearly as touchy. And with the increased wheelbase, the car rotates much more freely without scrubbing off speed. If you remember in TC a few years back when Corally was ruling the carpet scene, they had a much longer wheelbase than anything on the market. That car would pretty much drive itself on carpet. Now all of the TC's are made that way. This works the same. The 1/12th cars are so light now with the 1S LiPo's, that the square footprint of the current cars just isnt as efficient as they used to be.
Now to answer questions that i am sure you all will have, If i do release this kit it will be as a high traction Conversion kit. The current CH12 will not be replaced. This will be an option kit that can be purchased. The current CH12 works great in any condition. The parts i am working with now will be a dedicated high traction carpet setup.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
With the battery inline, the weight was still offset to the rear as the balance point is still well behind the front pivot location of the links or flex plates. The front mount battery has the furthest forward weight bias of all 3 positions and did yield the fastest lap times and most consistent runs. The balance point though is still behind the front pivots.
The forward weight positioning does work very well for high bite carpet as it definitely makes the car more smooth and easier to drive. It is not nearly as touchy. And with the increased wheelbase, the car rotates much more freely without scrubbing off speed. If you remember in TC a few years back when Corally was ruling the carpet scene, they had a much longer wheelbase than anything on the market. That car would pretty much drive itself on carpet. Now all of the TC's are made that way. This works the same. The 1/12th cars are so light now with the 1S LiPo's, that the square footprint of the current cars just isnt as efficient as they used to be.
Now to answer questions that i am sure you all will have, If i do release this kit it will be as a high traction Conversion kit. The current CH12 will not be replaced. This will be an option kit that can be purchased. The current CH12 works great in any condition. The parts i am working with now will be a dedicated high traction carpet setup.
Will you be racing the prototype at iic
Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Unfortunately i dont get to go to many,if any of the big races. The RC cars are a very small part of my business and i cant get time away from the company that often to go. I occasionally go to the birds but that is about it.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

So you're saying the prototype doesn't work as well on low to medium bite carpet? I have a CH12 with new AE front end, if you were looking to add a little high speed steering what adjustment would you make to your set up?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
So you're saying the prototype doesn't work as well on low to medium bite carpet? I have a CH12 with new AE front end, if you were looking to add a little high speed steering what adjustment would you make to your set up?
The conversion works on low and medium bite just fine. I actually was driving it in front of my house on the street and it was real easy to drive.lol Its just that the increase in corner speed is more evident on higher bite tracks such as carpet medium to high bite. On lower bite tracks, it is just easier to drive without losing the rear end. It feels like a mellow drive but is very fast as the amount of steering you have is the same, it just doesnt have that nervous feel you normally get in 1/12th on the high grip tracks.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
If you wanted more high speed steering, try a little more narrow in the rear of the car. Maybe 170mm wide, and a little more caster if you are not maxed out at 6 degrees. If you are running maximum caster, try going with a little more camber.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Lord

No problem.

After my testing this week, I will break down my electronics layout to show you all 3 mounting methods for the electronics that can be done with the new setup i am working with.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Lord

This video almost made me piss myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpK2pdLj7Y0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.