R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #1186
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
And they extend to 3.75 in those .25 mm increments and are made of a more rubbery plastic like the original AE inserts. I have had my share of the IRS inserts shatter.
Associated "4" rear axle holders go a little lower yet, lower than the lowest IRS holder, nice to add those to the IRS set, sorry I don't know the part number...
The CRC ones sound interesting...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #1187
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ASC4351 - Ride Height Adjuster,#4

Yeah, one of my .5 adjusters shattered and I was looking to see what's available when I found CLN3381, which includes a plethora of different ride height possibilities. If I have to I can adapt the plastic bag trick from the ball cups. Hopefully they're not too big. I'm sure it's blasphemy to mention CRC here. . .
pmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #1188
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Speaking of rear ride height adjusters. The CH12 would be super-sweet with a new rear ride height setup.....like the new top car's setup.

What do you think Jason?
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #1189
Tech Champion

It is definately interesting...but ultimately I think it will be too weak. the more shims you add the weaker it will get.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #1190
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
It is definately interesting...but ultimately I think it will be too weak. the more shims you add the weaker it will get.
Unless you have pre-sized shims designed specifically for the assembly, something Jason is very good at.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #1191
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Hey Andrew....the RX pack not being charged and attempting to change the Tekins settings was the problem All is well now
Glad I was wrong!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #1192
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX View Post
Unless you have pre-sized shims designed specifically for the assembly, something Jason is very good at.
If the bearing holder where the screws go through is aluminum instead of plastic I would agree.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #1193
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
If the bearing holder where the screws go through is aluminum instead of plastic I would agree.
Exactly, I think Jason could do it better.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #1194
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX View Post
Speaking of rear ride height adjusters. The CH12 would be super-sweet with a new rear ride height setup.....like the new top car's setup.

What do you think Jason?
That rear axle is probably going to tweak. THe plastic holders will break and if you change to aluminum holders, the load will be transferred to the pods and they will bend as they look very weak. I dont feel they came up with a very solid design. It also looks like the tube around the axle is what keeps the pods from collapsing. If thats the case, thery need to either rely on the plastic carriers or the inner race of the bearing for strength. Very weak on both parts. I think you will find them changing that very quickly. Another thing to take into consideration is all the pics are shown with small tires. If you run asphalt and run your tires at 1.900 or uncut, you will need to add a ton of shim and a very long screw to allow for this. I dont like to feel like the negative one, I just dont feel that this car was very well thought out. Minimal gear mesh adjustment, Motor will bend the pod in an impact from that style of mounting, ride hight adjustment is minimal without weakening the assembly, front end isnt anything new but should work, i can go on but dont want to get in too deep. Im sure everyone will find out in time how well the car fairs in the hands of normal guys. Hell, even the pros are going to have a rough time with alot of the issues. So in a nutshell, i will be going a different route. I am always looking to improve and i am always listening to what you guys would like to see. In normal BMI Fashion, we will get 1/12th into a new league. I know our car isnt cheap like the rest and i cant compete with those prices because of the higher quality parts and upgrades put in our kit. This is why you dont see ferrari in a price war with toyota. We are the Ferrari of 1/12th.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #1195
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
That rear axle is probably going to tweak. THe plastic holders will break and if you change to aluminum holders, the load will be transferred to the pods and they will bend as they look very weak. I dont feel they came up with a very solid design. It also looks like the tube around the axle is what keeps the pods from collapsing. If thats the case, thery need to either rely on the plastic carriers or the inner race of the bearing for strength. Very weak on both parts. I think you will find them changing that very quickly. Another thing to take into consideration is all the pics are shown with small tires. If you run asphalt and run your tires at 1.900 or uncut, you will need to add a ton of shim and a very long screw to allow for this. I dont like to feel like the negative one, I just dont feel that this car was very well thought out. Minimal gear mesh adjustment, Motor will bend the pod in an impact from that style of mounting, ride hight adjustment is minimal without weakening the assembly, front end isnt anything new but should work, i can go on but dont want to get in too deep. Im sure everyone will find out in time how well the car fairs in the hands of normal guys. Hell, even the pros are going to have a rough time with alot of the issues. So in a nutshell, i will be going a different route. I am always looking to improve and i am always listening to what you guys would like to see. In normal BMI Fashion, we will get 1/12th into a new league. I know our car isnt cheap like the rest and i cant compete with those prices because of the higher quality parts and upgrades put in our kit. This is why you dont see ferrari in a price war with toyota. We are the Ferrari of 1/12th.
Dream crusher.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #1196
Tech Addict

Or realist...

Don't change a winning concept IMHO...

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #1197
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
time will tell, but the pod strength may be deceptive, as you know a short load path produces less moment, and its the moment that bends things. the rear pod height adjustment looks convenient for fine tuning, i would expect top to make different bearing holders for coarse adjustments, maybe a carpet and asphalt specific part set? the bearing holder looks to be engaged on 2 sides by the pod sideplate, so this may be better supported than it appears. also the cross tube should bear on the outer race support, and this tube diameter may also be deceptive, because of the additional bending rigidity. the tube wall thickness is probably driven by buckling, and bending rigidity is more than adequete.

note these are just observations, not a firm opinion for or against.

Last edited by avs; 11-06-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #1198
Tech Master

Quote:
... We are the Ferrari of 1/12th.
Ferrari. No wonder I cant afford the new model I need something in the Mustang GT500 or corvette range
E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #1199
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Ferrari. No wonder I cant afford the new model I need something in the Mustang GT500 or corvette range
E
that would be a db10rr with the new front end
Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #1200
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
time will tell, but the pod strength may be deceptive, as you know a short load path produces less moment, and its the moment that bends things. the rear pod height adjustment looks convenient for fine tuning, i would expect top to make different bearing holders for coarse adjustments, maybe a carpet and asphalt specific part set? the bearing holder looks to be engaged on 2 sides by the pod sideplate, so this may be better supported than it appears. also the cross tube should bear on the outer race support, and this tube diameter may also be deceptive, because of the additional bending rigidity. the tube wall thickness is probably driven by buckling, and bending rigidity is more than adequete.

note these are just observations, not a firm opinion for or against.
But also keep in mind on Josh's own aftermarket chassis for the Photon he made the motor mount steel for a reason. I don't think the aluminum is going to be strong enough.