R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #961
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
i`ve read your post and it seems to me your going the wrong way.

to stable the car you need grip. When you have to much grip then you start getting the car to steer less.

So all your settings are going to make the car easy but slow.
Try to get the front suspension stiffest, with an stabi if that is possible, that will remove steering, with this stiff setting first your car will not have steering. Then get softer tires in the front untill the steering suits you. You will find that the softer tire will smooth the car, it removes the jumpingness(my englisch is rusty).

I am reading this post about the BMI because the front suspension looks like my schumacher car (wich i drove in the `80) wich had an similar front.
Does this front arm can take a hit in the boarding good or will it break easyly like the crc frontarms. Does someone have hitting experience

Greetz JW

Well, i really dont know where to begin. I cannot say if the schumacher front end is close in function or look as i have not seen it. I had many people say that my rear suspension was very similar to an old Corally rear suspension but in reality, it wasnt even similar. So i will just have to go with, im not sure if it is similar in look but rest assured, the end results are different.

As for durability, the front suspension system is extremely durable. I have seen it take alot of abuse and still has not broken 1 suspension arm. I can tell you that there is nothing out there that is as adjustable,durable, or advanced as this front suspension system.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:52 AM   #962
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I am always ready to learn. I am always looking for a mountain guru to sit at their feet and learn Jedi ways.

For example...

When it comes to rear traction for 1/12th in general, what 6 geometry, set up changes do you feel improve traction the most. I always seem to be looking for more rear traction at my local track and another set of eyes/opinion on the situation would be awesome. I am trying to improve my cars' (AE, SM, no BMI yet ...) balance without removing steering, which may be drivable but slower...

I ask because I have seen two particular car brands excel on our track, and despite a couple years of solid week in and week out testing and trying ALL KINDS of changes, I can't seem to improve car A to meet the traction developed by cars B or C.

Narrower rear axle width
Softer Center Spring/Oil
Larger Rear tires
Higher ride height (rear slightly lower than front)
Softer side springs
Thicker side dampening
Softer rear tires (I'm down to whites now)
Move body back
Move weight on chassis forward
Speed8 HD body
Top rear of center shock positioned closer to center pod pivot

Maybe I'll just repost this in the 1/12th thread...
If you can, post your setup. I would like to see it so i can make suggestions. THere are many things you can do to increase rear bite but you really want there to be a good balance of front and rear traction.
J Concepts
Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #963
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I am reading this post about the BMI because the front suspension looks like my schumacher car (wich i drove in the `80) wich had an similar front.
Does this front arm can take a hit in the boarding good or will it break easyly like the crc frontarms. Does someone have hitting experience

Greetz JW
Youīre speaking of the Schumacher C-Car what was my last 1/12th scale car that time, switching to offroad then. This car was released about 1984 with some changes over time.
Infact the C-Car didnīt have the usual sliding kinpin front suspension but had moving front arms, thatīs true. So looking from a long distance the frontsuspension may look similar to the new BMI, but overall the BMI frontend is very different. Of course at that time the C-Car was very different from most other cars.
The C-Car frontsuspension had just moving lower arms but no upper arms what means kingpins were fixed to the very long lower arms with no pivots. Also large diameter springs were used at about half length of the front arms also a thick antirollbar. Pictures from the C-Car you can find at this french website http://www.petitrc.com/setup/schumac...cars/1-12.html

The new BMI frontend is using a double arm suspension with pivoting kingpins and flexplates instead of springs. Comparing both frontends you will see you couldnīt adjust very much at the C-Car frontend also adjusting the frontsprings for changing front rideheight also means changing the camber.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #964
Tech Regular

Yes thats the one. Nice to see the lexan chassis i drove too.
Takes me back a long time. If the BMI front end can take abuse , does it fit a CRC gen xl chassis???

Greetz JW
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #965
Tech Lord

Wow, that is similar to a scalpel front end. Just a solid kingpin attached to a pivoting lower arm. Yeah, ours is much different. We can adjust camber,caster,rollcenter,camber gain,ride height,droop,and much more. I may be making it fit the CRC car.
J Concepts
Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #966
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yes thats the one. Nice to see the lexan chassis i drove too.
Takes me back a long time. If the BMI front end can take abuse , does it fit a CRC gen xl chassis???

Greetz JW
Yes I also had the Schumacher XL lexan car. Worked very good on the slippery indoor tracks. For the guys who donīt know these cars, they had very soft lexan chassis what could twist alot and the frontend had no springs that time. Carpet came much later and the lexan chassis didnīt work any onger.
This is when the C-Car was released.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #967
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Just finished some aesthetic and upgrade changes...
Attached Thumbnails
BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support-db12rr-7.jpg   BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support-db12rr-9.jpg   BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support-db12rr-10.jpg  

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #968
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

wow, look at those trued tires, smaller dia = less rubber/foam = smaller rotating mass. nice chassis
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #969
Tech Champion

Thanks superspeed

Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #970
Tech Master

Does it go as good as it looks?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #971
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950 View Post
Does it go as good as it looks?
The car is dialed!! Its the driver that has issues....coming back after almost 2 years is...... fun
I've give a report after next weekend. Going to the 2010 TimezoneGP, so we'll see.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #972
Tech Master

Good Luck!!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #973
Tech Master

Yo J,I just tried that new frontend for the first time tonight! Man the car was dialed! I just need to get my carpet legs back! I need the one for the wgt car because there calling me out now! Lol! It is tough also I got in mad crashes and the thing was like whatever!
Trinity,EPIC,Oddy Racing,IRS,Sweep racing,Brown Engineering,Mugen USA,Team Xray,RC America,R.I.P. motorsports,Tekin,Customworks,Parma PSE,Ashford Hobbies,D&K Hobbies, TQ-wire,Local 69 Woodputters Union,Big Ant get well soon!!Quinn my BFF!
Dee Lee is a nut and I don't condone what he will say next!
Scooby Horton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #974
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Yo Scooby,

Your car looked Top Fuel!!! Thing was dialed!!! see ya next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1 View Post
Yo J,I just tried that new frontend for the first time tonight! Man the car was dialed! I just need to get my carpet legs back! I need the one for the wgt car because there calling me out now! Lol! It is tough also I got in mad crashes and the thing was like whatever!

1/12th Fo' Life!!! R.I.P Mike Reedy, R.I.P John Williams

[-Horsham RC-] [-Jackson RC-] [-RC Car World-] [ Black Out Free 2015 ]
mike ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #975
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

hey jason would you be making a 12rr to copperhead conversion with new front end included. or would it be cheaper to buy the entire car? thanx buddy the car looks real good! ivy im comin for ya!