Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support >

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Great Jason, count me in for a set of those 2mm axle shims!

Also, were the shims that you used underneath the pivot balls special shims or will any 1mm shim do the trick?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

any shims will work. I used my old shims from TC
Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

So Jason you're saying you tried 1mm shims UNDER the 4 pivot balls & UNDER the copper hinge pin block, and although both places mellowed the car out/made it easy to drive, with the shims under the pivot balls it kept the camber gain (of the initial setup) AND had more onpower steering.
Was the notice of this subtle or drastic?

Originally Posted by Joost K.
Great Jason, count me in for a set of those 2mm axle shims!
+2
Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JayBee
So Jason you're saying you tried 1mm shims UNDER the 4 pivot balls & UNDER the copper hinge pin block, and although both places mellowed the car out/made it easy to drive, with the shims under the pivot balls it kept the camber gain (of the initial setup) AND had more onpower steering.
Was the notice of this subtle or drastic?

+2
That is correct. First i ran them under the hinge pin block. Car was very good. It had a slight push and may be better when the bite gets real high. I then tried shimming under both the hinge pin block and the arms. This made the car easy to drive but pushy on power. I then took the shims out from underneath the hinge pin block and got the camber gain back and now it worked just right for the given amount of traction. I may change it to shimming under the hinge pin block only this weekend as the bite will be higher being it is a big race and the track is going to see alot of traffic.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Any word on getting kits out?

I ordered a kit last week hoping to get it earlier this week and nothing. I emailed and was told something about waiting for ball cups?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Lord

I apologize for that buddy. We got slammed with orders and we are trying to get them all out.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
I apologize for that buddy. We got slammed with orders and we are trying to get them all out.
Thanks Jason, I'll keep an eye out for it and will try to be patient.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
Thanks Jason, I'll keep an eye out for it and will try to be patient.
Hi mate! I got to have a chat with Jason last week, whilst we were down in Florida on holiday, and also got him to explain how the new front end works. It's actually not like anything out there at the moment, at all!! Very nice piece of kit, well explained by someone that obviously know's the technical side of how RC car dynamics work. So much so, that I am now waiting for the new GT10 to be ready to order and then will order that, and the 12th ca together! I am going over to Deb's tomorrow to run the truck, I'll have a chat with you if you racing TC's. Cheers bud, Chris.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Tech Champion

Got bored today. Was sitting here looking at my car and decided to put some Delrin upper arms on. LOL...
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Uh-Oh

Hi guys,

I had my first race with the CH12 and new front-end last night. I was hoping to come here and rave about how good it was, but unfortunately I had some significant handling problems that I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help with! My setup was very similar to Jason's that he posted a few weeks ago:

Front:
Stock flex plates installed "stiff"
1 deg camber
6 deg castor
#5 surelube in tube
4mm ride height
0.75mm droop
Jaco Lilac cut to 42mm with inside 1/4 sauced (Niftech)

Rear:
1.2mm carbon flex plates installed "long"
#3 surlube in tubes
4mm ride height
1mm pod droop
Blue center spring w/ Losi 40Wt oil
Jaco Yelow cut to 44mm full sauce

Proline AMR body

The problem I was having was WAY too aggressive steering, especially off-throttle entering corners. I would let off slightly and turn in to the corner and back-end would snap around on me, sometimes violently. I don't think it was tweak as everything seemed to be working as it should and it behaved this way turning in both directions. I also had really excessive tire wear at the rear as I started @ 44mm and after 3 six minute qualies and 1 8 minute main I had burned through 2mm of rear tire . My guess is the current setup is somehow over-working the rear tires causing the loss of traction and accelerated wear.

I'm using a Tekin RS Pro with no drag brake and Push Control set to 30. Our track is quite tight and is not ozite type carpet but rather really short-nap office style carpet with only medium grip.

I really want to get this car working well as I really think it has great potential but at the moment I'm at a loss to figure out what to do so I would really appreciate any input from Jason and everyone else!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe try another body, the Proline AMR body
has tons of steering. Protoform speed 12 should be better...
Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hi guys,

I had my first race with the CH12 and new front-end last night. I was hoping to come here and rave about how good it was, but unfortunately I had some significant handling problems that I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help with! My setup was very similar to Jason's that he posted a few weeks ago:

Front:
1 deg camber
6 deg castor
#5 surelube in tube
4mm ride height
0.75mm droop

Rear:
#3 surlube in tubes
4mm ride height
1mm pod droop

Proline AMR body

The problem I was having was WAY too aggressive steering, especially off-throttle entering corners. I would let off slightly and turn in to the corner and back-end would snap around on me, sometimes violently. I don't think it was tweak as everything seemed to be working as it should and it behaved this way turning in both directions. I also had really excessive tire wear at the rear as I started @ 44mm and after 3 six minute qualies and 1 8 minute main I had burned through 2mm of rear tire . My guess is the current setup is somehow over-working the rear tires causing the loss of traction and accelerated wear.

I'm using a Tekin RS Pro with no drag brake and Push Control set to 30. Our track is quite tight and is not ozite type carpet but rather really short-nap office style carpet with only medium grip.

I really want to get this car working well as I really think it has great potential but at the moment I'm at a loss to figure out what to do so I would really appreciate any input from Jason and everyone else!

Cheers,
Mike
I would like to know what your front tires felt like? Were they gummy? I would try Jaco Blacks on the front AND try the flexplates in the "short" position. My car handled similarly until I reduced the 'roll' (side to side movement)of the car and went to a more foam-based front tire. The other thing I did, although it sounds small, was change the camber from 1-degree to about .25 degrees. Made a huge difference with initial corner entry.

HTH's
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nutsisneat
Maybe try another body, the Proline AMR body
has tons of steering. Protoform speed 12 should be better...
Try also a different front tire. Jaybee's recommendation Jaco black should work or maybe also front magentas. Lilacs are agressive....
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hi guys,

Front:
1 deg camber
6 deg castor
#5 surelube in tube
4mm ride height
0.75mm droop

Rear:
#3 surlube in tubes
4mm ride height
1mm pod droop

Proline AMR body

Cheers,
Mike
Did you set your left and right hand circles on the track? Make sure that you are turning around a 4 ft. circle in each direction. This is very critical as it can be a perfectly good set up but run very bad. I would also go to #4 shur lube in the rear tubes. I found a new setup today for high bite that you can try. The car was SUPER easy to drive and very fast. The biggest change i made was shimming under the hinge pin block in the front. THis will mellow the car out. Try putting 1mm of shim under the front hinge pin block for starters. If it is still too aggressive, add 1mm under the pivot balls also on the arms. Here is the new setup that worked best for me in high bite.

Front:
3mm ride height
.25mm droop
1.8mm flex plate soft postion(longest postion)
1 degree camber
6 degrees caster
2mm shim behind each axle
1.5mm shim under the hinge pin block( i needed to trim 2 4-40x 5/8 screw slightly to allow it to fully clamp the hinge pin block)
No shims under the pivot balls on the arms
BSR team purple cut to 1.620 w/ glued sidewalls
1/4 inside with sauce

Rear:
red center spring w/ 45 wt. oil
1mm pod droop
1.2mm c/f flex plates mounted long position(soft)
3mm ride height
#4 shurlube in tubes
Gray/White tires cut to 1.670 w/ glued sidewalls
Full sauce on the tire

Parma HD speed 8

The car was really easy to drive. Smooth and very fast. I ran with top level drivers today and did the best i ever had against them. I was very happy with the car. Honestly the best 1/12th car i have ever driven. I have driven them all and this really blew me away. Tire wear was minimal. .010 after 4 8 minute runs. The front and rears wore at the same rate. The car was very efficient and carried a ton of speed through the corners.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

That is odd Mike...with the soft rear flex plates in the long position and the blue spring that should really generate a lot of rear traction. Was it like that from the start or did it run good for a lap or 2 then go bad after a crash? Are any of your rear pivots binding?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.