R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #2476
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrace24 View Post
I ran again at West Coast . Tightened my diff a hair and ran Jack the Ripper sauce. The car ran very well. I do have 1/2 ounce on the rear pod near the left wheel. This is what I put on there last week to cut down the spinning on some left turns. I checked the links and they feel smooth, re-lubed the tubes.

I guess I'll have to head over to TQ. What tire setup do you guys run there and what's a good gear ratio for 17 turn blinky?

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. I feel a bit uneasy without tweak screws!

Clay
Black front, Yellow rear.
That combo is also very good for WCRC
But at WC the car will run best with the tires cut down very low, like 40mm fr, 42mm rr.

At TQ most start at 43mm fr, 45mm rear.

WC has so much grip, the car could be "diffing" (picking up the inside wheel) causing a spin.
Pink tires are really too soft for that place, and that compound doesn't work at all at TQ.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #2477
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I ran again at West Coast . Tightened my diff a hair and ran Jack the Ripper sauce. The car ran very well. I do have 1/2 ounce on the rear pod near the left wheel. This is what I put on there last week to cut down the spinning on some left turns. I checked the links and they feel smooth, re-lubed the tubes.

I guess I'll have to head over to TQ. What tire setup do you guys run there and what's a good gear ratio for 17 turn blinky?

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. I feel a bit uneasy without tweak screws!

Clay
jack and black/orange at TQ, and you will be in the hunt. (for me at least) running foam tired pancars on carpet is waaayyy more drivable(is that a word?) than the asphalt at WC. don't worry about tweak screws with a BMI, instead be fussy about balancing the car.
i have some bmi parts if you need some, will be at TQ a week from next sunday (hopefully).

it may be my limited driving or chassis tuning ability, but with 1/12 grip was always a light switch and unpredictable, while TC with rubber was much more manageable.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #2478
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I stopped by TQ last night and picked up some tires for running Sunday. What's a good starting rollout for the 12th 17.5 blinky class at TQ ?

Clay
Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #2479
Tech Champion

Quote:
I stopped by TQ last night and picked up some tires for running Sunday. What's a good starting rollout for the 12th 17.5 blinky class at TQ ?

Clay
Depends on the motor setup.
Most I think are in the 95-100mm roll

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #2480
Tech Regular

I got a rollout app for my phone and holy crap - I need to run a 55 tooth pinion with my 88 spur. Never bought a pinion with that many teeth before! One more question. Can I get by with 3.5 mm ride height?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #2481
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

88t is a huge spur for 17.5 non-timing... shoot for 72-76t.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #2482
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gear Chart

44mm tires

86.39 rollout with 55/88

95.99 rollout with 50/72
96.40 rollout with 53/76
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #2483
Tech Regular

SO last night I spent a couple of hours trying to get the rear wheels of my car balanced side to side and no matter where I put weight on the chassis, I couldn't get the two wheels to measure within 25 grams of each other. I checked the links on both sides, swapped them undid the screws to the rear end and retightened everything, checked the front end for binding. I'll post pics of my setup, because the only thing that I can think of is that either my chassis is literally tweaked, or my electronics layout is too heavy to one side.

Eventually I just made a plate with two nails on it and checked the entire car balance side to side and added weight to get it as close to balanced as possible.Got my rollout into the low 90s and diff feels great so I look forward to getting it on the carpet.

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
BMI Racing &quot;Copperhead 12&quot; discussion and support-img_2498.jpg   BMI Racing &quot;Copperhead 12&quot; discussion and support-img_2499.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #2484
Tech Champion

Quote:
SO last night I spent a couple of hours trying to get the rear wheels of my car balanced side to side and no matter where I put weight on the chassis, I couldn't get the two wheels to measure within 25 grams of each other. I checked the links on both sides, swapped them undid the screws to the rear end and retightened everything, checked the front end for binding. I'll post pics of my setup, because the only thing that I can think of is that either my chassis is literally tweaked, or my electronics layout is too heavy to one side.

Eventually I just made a plate with two nails on it and checked the entire car balance side to side and added weight to get it as close to balanced as possible.Got my rollout into the low 90s and diff feels great so I look forward to getting it on the carpet.

Clay
With the motor attached to the pod. imo, it could be difficult to balance the chassis so that the rear wheels have even weight distribution.

If you want to balance the chassis, try to balance it on pins, without the pod attached.

If you want to balance the rear wheel weight distribution, balance the motor in the pod.
The latter as I understand it, does not make much difference due to a solid axle design.

At least that's my method of madness lately

At the very least, you would want to disconnect the side dampers and springs to get any relevant readings.

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 03-04-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: closer look at pics
Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #2485
Tech Champion

Yeah not every motor has the same balance point so the pods are made to generally get the motor in the right position...if you want to be really anal about it you might be able to find some old motor spacers to move the motor a bit more toward the light side but space is already crunched enough so honestly I wouldn't worry about it.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #2486
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I loved running my bmi car this winter but im moving to offroad so letting all my 1/12 stuff go heres a link Getting out 1/12 Sale CH12 Parts Electronics F/S/T
Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #2487
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I won my second major meeting on weekend running CH12. Australian Capital Territory titles at Canberra which was won by my team mate Andy last year, but I was solo BMI to compete this year. Had hard time in first 2 qualifiers coming pretty much last position thanks to traction roll every corner. Track had stupid amount of grip, more than RC Addict in Bangkok I raced few weeks ago for TITC. But it was the bumpiest track which made it very hard to find good set up. I made few changes and came 2nd in other 4 races and qualified 2nd over all.
Just couldnít keep up with X-ray team driver whoís also local over there in qualifiers, but in 1st final he made little mistake in start just enough for me to get pass and kept him behind for the rest of the race to take a win. Kept my head cool for second final and made 0 mistakes and slowed down just enough to take out the event, and defend title for BMI. In 3rd final I had title in bag so I went for track lap record and used max boost on ESC (yes, max boost in mod), guess what? It was soooo fast but CH12 kept all the power down to ground, blast past TQ on first corner and had a half lap gap with in 4-5 laps! It didnít end well as back marker jumped on race line after he crashed and I hit his car hard, breaking my rear wheel off.
CH12 was amazing to drive, I donít race 12th scale at club level anymore so I only get to drive it once in 2 month or so, but it just reacts to set up change so well as soon as my rusty driving goes away it becomes weapon.
H I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #2488
Tech Champion

Grats on the win!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #2489
Tech Master

NE1 hear from Jason, is his life back on track, will we get a new chassis this fall? Hope a is well.
E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #2490
Tech Champion

Hey Eric,

Unfortunately the complications with his son are on-going and have not yet been resolved. It is really sad...I really hope the doctors are able to get things back on track soon!