Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support >

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i was reading about jaco prism wheels on here and seen some where about needin 3mm shims for them. i looked on bmi racing and seen them but they have a db part number so im tryin figure out do i need the 3mn rear shims for the copper head to run jaco prism wheels?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markiemark
i was reading about jaco prism wheels on here and seen some where about needin 3mm shims for them. i looked on bmi racing and seen them but they have a db part number so im tryin figure out do i need the 3mn rear shims for the copper head to run jaco prism wheels?
Rear max length is 172mm

So with calipers check that

Mostly make sure to use the centering hole/notch to check that from the total center of pod that each side is equal length once you do that then when you change wheels you'll be albe to just add spacers for each wheel without checking the axle is perfectly centered from pod center

Good luck racing
Old 11-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

The 3mm shims are custom shims for the BMI running Jaco wheels...you can use regular shims to space out the axle if you want. 3mm worth of shims takes the rear about to the max rear width.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

just checked my car im 1.5mm offset to the left from center hole to inner rim edge. and total track width is 168.8mm so i know i nee to correct the 1.5 mm then ill be at 170.3 is that good or should i go wider?
Old 11-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

just checked my car im 1.5mm offset to the left from center hole to inner rim edge. and total track width is 168.8mm so i know i nee to correct the 1.5 mm then ill be at 170.3 is that good or should i go wider?
Like you've noticed you have to find the perfect axle center then I'd go to 172

If your on slippery asphalt then little narrower will give little more rear bite but it will be more point and shoot car in that condition

If I we're you I'd center axle and see how that feels to learn from it then make change to see and learn also so you'll have your own information about that particular setup change

Odd's are at 172 you will be fine in most conditions

Good luck racing

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 11-19-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

total width of the rear is whatever you want to run up to the max of 172mm wide. If your track is high bite the you can run the full 172, if like my track its low bite then running it narrower gains rear traction.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Finaly got some time to work on the car before sunday and just wanna go over a few things with the jacos im going to run i had to add 1.5mm of shims to the left non spur side and then had to add 3.5mm of shim to the right spur gear side. Am i close to the rest of you guys wanna make sure im right and dont have anything messed up... Gives me a track width of roughly 171.5mm (not the worlds greatest caliper only goes to .1 of a mm).

Also as i just went over the front end i noticed the king pins are tight in the steering blocks so reamed them out with a 1/8 drill bit by hand.

Also does anyone know if there are copperhead stickers?? i seen the tshirt on bmi and plan to order it but also wanted some sticker but couldnt find them. Im only one at the track thats running bmi and wanted people to know it as most are crc xl and xi and 12r5.1
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Finaly got some time to work on the car before sunday and just wanna go over a few things with the jacos im going to run i had to add 1.5mm of shims to the left non spur side and then had to add 3.5mm of shim to the right spur gear side. Am i close to the rest of you guys wanna make sure im right and dont have anything messed up... Gives me a track width of roughly 171.5mm (not the worlds greatest caliper only goes to .1 of a mm).

Also as i just went over the front end i noticed the king pins are tight in the steering blocks so reamed them out with a 1/8 drill bit by hand.

Also does anyone know if there are copperhead stickers?? i seen the tshirt on bmi and plan to order it but also wanted some sticker but couldnt find them. Im only one at the track thats running bmi and wanted people to know it as most are crc xl and xi and 12r5.1
The kingpin doesn't slid inside the steering block so that doesn't matter

171.5 is perfect

Someone's looking for a sponsor ...lol
Old 11-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
The kingpin doesn't slid inside the steering block so that doesn't matter
It does if he is running the strut front end.

also if you flip the left side hub so the thicker O.D. goes into the rim then you can get equal shims on each side of the axle.

for trackwidths i run 168mm front and 172mm rear. seems to do the trick for me!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins

also if you flip the left side hub so the thicker O.D. goes into the rim then you can get equal shims on each side of the axle.

O yea the double wishbone oops
Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins

Yep....we're getting our cars dialed in
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Ok thanks. Just wanted make sure spacing one side a little more then the other and having to space the spur gear side out that much was normal.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok thanks. Just wanted make sure spacing one side a little more then the other and having to space the spur gear side out that much was normal.
I think he's saying you don't have to space unequally if you flip left hub?

Got a pic of whole car with that double wishbone ft end?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

With Jaco rims I run the BMI 3mm spacers on both sides of the rear axle and that is it...should be square like that.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

I just checked if i flim my clamp hub then id have to add another 1.5mm worth of shims so id be at 3mm so im going order the 3mm shims here soon. and few extra parts. Thanks guys for all the help

Right now im trying to fig what i can cut my new tires to to keep around a 3.5mm ride height rite now iv came up with 44mm rears and 43mm fronts. I think i shave the front screws down some more i can removethe shims and lower the front end another 1mm and can get 42mm fronts and 43.5mm rears which seems sorta big as i see most are running 41mm fronts and 42mm rears.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.