R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #2101
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950 View Post
Are you saying you get more grip with magenta rears than yellow or graylow? We run yellows and graylows, magentas have virtually no grip.
Yes, but isn't your track fairly dusty from having to share space with an off-road track indoors ?

At our track, the more the glued up the groove is from tire sauce, the more consistent the grip will be from the pink family of rubber.

When our track is green from a new layout, the yellow family is better.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #2102
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiemark View Post
Thanks so much I thought magentas where harder then yellows so wouldnt that give you less grip and actualy be looser then running a yellow? just trying figure out the deifferent tires.
Honestly it is best to have set of each and just try them

Maybe start with rears once that is dialed in try fts till you have steering you want

I've lost many a race thinking this or that instead of just trying stuff to know for myself

In national racing this is a bummer kinda because you have practice and four heats to determine your setup

At local track you have more time

Your own driving style will tell you what tires work for you

I personally like massive steering and a spontaneous car hence on the edge but if I can't get the steering I need I'm out of my style to drive the car so trust your own style and testing

Like I'm gonna get pink rears and magenta ft and rears and maybe dbl pink fts but I can't tell you till I drive it on my smooth (medium traction) asphalt course

I'm guessing pink rear, dbl pink ft but I can't tell you till I actually try it so this is the torture (or mystery/RC in general) of 12th not knowing till you set down the car

It's also the excitement of finding what works with what conditions you got

Basically setting up 12th scale is like going out on blind date...lol

You'll never know if your dialed (Have hot babe you can get along with...lol) til you actually date her

So think of choosing tires like their is this mystery hot babe and if you got the ft and rears tires correct your gonna hook up...lol

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 09-23-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #2103
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Yes, but isn't your track fairly dusty from having to share space with an off-road track indoors ?

At our track, the more the glued up the groove is from tire sauce, the more consistent the grip will be from the pink family of rubber.

When our track is green from a new layout, the yellow family is better.
Yes, we have some dust, though the track crew has been doing a much better job of cleaning lately. EricF ran his CH (L4 front) on pinks and double pinks for 17.5, but when he went to 13.5 he had to switch to yellows and lilacs. The car was real fast either way.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #2104
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950 View Post
Yes, we have some dust, though the track crew has been doing a much better job of cleaning lately. EricF ran his CH (L4 front) on pinks and double pinks for 17.5, but when he went to 13.5 he had to switch to yellows and lilacs. The car was real fast either way.
Good to hear things are improving there, sounds like you have a good 12th scale group.

On our track with mod, or 13.5 boosted, I will usually start out with Magenta, if they go 8mins locked in, we're good to go, if they loose grip after 5 mins or so, it's time to switch to Black/Yellow.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #2105
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What i have found is on a clean track, Magenta rears work best for 13.5 boosted or mod as you need the forward bite and side bite you get with a tire with a high natural rubber content. On a dirty track, the synthetic tires seem to be more consistent as they dont pick up or hold any dust. They kinda clean themselves out and dont lose traction. Being that my local track is a clean carpeted surface, Magenta or Pink fronts and Magentas rears are the hot tire of choice.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #2106
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

You'll never know if your dialed (Have hot babe you can get along with...lol) til you actually date her

So think of choosing tires like their is this mystery hot babe and if you got the ft and rears tires correct your gonna hook up...lol[/QUOTE]

I sure wish I had figured both of those out a few years back. It all makes sense now...
Old 09-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #2107
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
What i have found is on a clean track, Magenta rears work best for 13.5 boosted or mod as you need the forward bite and side bite you get with a tire with a high natural rubber content. On a dirty track, the synthetic tires seem to be more consistent as they dont pick up or hold any dust. They kinda clean themselves out and dont lose traction. Being that my local track is a clean carpeted surface, Magenta or Pink fronts and Magentas rears are the hot tire of choice.
OK That tallies with my experience and makes sense. This was a good discussion, thanks everyone.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #2108
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post

So think of choosing tires like their is this mystery hot babe and if you got the ft and rears tires correct your gonna hook up...lol
I sure wish I had figured both of those out a few years back. It all makes sense now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Use the force luke
Old 09-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #2109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrcr View Post

I sure wish I had figured both of those out a few years back. It all makes sense now...[/quote]

Hey Alex did you get those front ends together yet?
jeff jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #2110
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins View Post
Hey Alex did you get those front ends together yet?[/QUOTE]

Need to make some mounting plates to fit current 1/12 chassis. Soon.

But, hope to have on WGT for next wed. night race.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #2111
AOD
Tech Regular

Jason any updates on the new ride? Can't wait to see pic's.
AOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #2112
Tech Regular

When preping a new chasis pan, do any of you seal the edges with CA or something else or is it even necessary?
Thanks
michael mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #2113
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mercer View Post
When preping a new chasis pan, do any of you seal the edges with CA or something else or is it even necessary?
Thanks
It is not necessary and as far as I know it is mostly an aesthetic thing

Perhaps it is perceived to prevent damage to chassis but I never did it

Mostly I just sand any sharp edges so edges are smooth
Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #2114
Tech Master

Yeah, it was thought when graphite chassis first started to show up that CAing the edges would keep it from splitting. Today's chassis are better quality, so unless the edge of yours is very rough or damaged in some way, I don't think it is necessary.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #2115
Tech Champion

Default At the IIC

Well my day started off with a bang as I hit the outside wall on the first turn (sweeper) and mangled the front end of my car. I bent the upper hinge pin mount badly and broke the servo saver and the graphite brace for it. Then the tires for WGT didn't come in until after 10:30 (nice BSRs this year) and I blew the fuse on my tire truer so I didn't quite get my WGT ready in time for the first run. 1/12th is fixed now and the WGT is all ready so hopefully the 2nd run will go well.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote