R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #1876
Tech Master

Keep it made here!! I echo the thoughts of Marcos and MSCEDanny. Please don't bother with 2 versions. The center spring thing I could maybe do without one in the kit, but that would save about $1.00 off the price.
E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"

Last edited by EricF; 07-21-2011 at 01:38 PM.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #1877
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. Farming my stuff out to China will never be an option. Way too much pride on my end. All BMI products will always be made here in the USA.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #1878
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. Farming my stuff out to China will never be an option. Way too much pride on my end. All BMI products will always be made here in the USA.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #1879
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

I'll add my voice to the majority and vote for the quality product. That said your the one who sees the sales figures. I think that you could offer two versions of the CH; one with all the goodies and a budget version; and let the numbers tell the tale.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #1880
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say that things like bearings and other wear items could be changed out for less expensive parts since they're going to be replaced at some point anyways. Another couple of options would be to leave out the front and center springs. What front axel's come with the new kits, Ti or steel?Steel screws instead of aluminum? Stuff like that comes to mind...
adam lancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #1881
Tech Master

I got my CH10 used, but the first thing I noticed was the very high quality. I have owned nearly every brand of 1/12th kit on the market and the only one that compared to the BMI in fit and finish was the Serpent. Unfortunately you can't see that in an ad or even most photos. Only you can know what is on your bottom line, but I would stress the Made in America aspect, especially with the emphasis news people have been putting on it. You could also look for a way to emphasize support after the sale, which I have found to be top class.
If you can hold the quality at a profit and even stay close to the China guys in price I would say that is the way to go.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #1882
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I buy BMI for highest quality. I’ll respect what ever decision you going make but I prefer not see any “Cheap” or “Budget” BMI kits. BMI is only kit I know that comes with best of every thing. I can recommend to friends with confidence that BMI is kit don’t need any aftermarket hop-ups. Well… maybe ceramic diff balls, but not necessary. If you do make “Budget” kit, I’m sure those people who buy it will be spending more than price difference between “Full” kits with in few weeks to make it better. And most likely buy them self wrong aftermarket parts that may not work well with BMI and start give it bad name to brand. That’s the last thing I want to see. Same goes to using cheap bearings or cheap screws, if “Budget” kit snap screws easy or bearings fails all the time, it can’t be good for brand reputation. You’ve build up your company reputation so high till now, I’m sure you don’t want it to fall down just to keep few “cheap” customer happy who don’t understand meaning “Quality”

I’m sure some people won’t agree but that’s my view.
H I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #1883
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

BMI cars have always been THE benchmark in quality and performance. Quality costs, and if you want the best you'll gladly pay for a car that looks, drives, and delivers like only a BMI car can.

Keep it real, Keep it in the USA.

Mike
Big Features is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #1884
Tech Lord

OK, Good to know. The latest prototype i am working on is a little more expensive to make than the last version of the car. I see where i can cost cut without sacrificing quality that you are all used to from BMI. I have looked at some of the lower priced car kits and i see where they have cut costs and i really dont want to go that route. That would mean i would have to sell a product that honestly, i am not happy with. Plastic pods,steel turnbuckles,molded standoffs,and worst of all, the Chinese machined aluminum. That is some rough looking stuff. To be honest, i think i would rather just call it a day than try to reduce my cost by doing all of that. It makes me not as good of a business man for my decision but that is fine with me. I want to be proud of what i sell because it is the best i can supply, not for how it lines my pockets. I dont want to feel like im burning my customers by selling them sub par product and having them upgrade the snot out of it just to bring it up to snuff with the joneses. I see where i need to trim costs to achieve the goal i am looking for but all BMI products will stay with the high quality that you are all used to.
J Concepts
Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #1885
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good to hear, Jason. I would expect nothing less from you.

Mike

Quote:
OK, Good to know. The latest prototype i am working on is a little more expensive to make than the last version of the car. I see where i can cost cut without sacrificing quality that you are all used to from BMI. I have looked at some of the lower priced car kits and i see where they have cut costs and i really dont want to go that route. That would mean i would have to sell a product that honestly, i am not happy with. Plastic pods,steel turnbuckles,molded standoffs,and worst of all, the Chinese machined aluminum. That is some rough looking stuff. To be honest, i think i would rather just call it a day than try to reduce my cost by doing all of that. It makes me not as good of a business man for my decision but that is fine with me. I want to be proud of what i sell because it is the best i can supply, not for how it lines my pockets. I dont want to feel like im burning my customers by selling them sub par product and having them upgrade the snot out of it just to bring it up to snuff with the joneses. I see where i need to trim costs to achieve the goal i am looking for but all BMI products will stay with the high quality that you are all used to.
Big Features is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:54 AM   #1886
Super Moderator

Quote:
well you dont see Ferrari putting cheap stuff on their cars to lower the cost people buy them because of the Name and the quality ( same as BMI name and quality)

(now let me go and wipe my nose ) j/k
Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #1887
Tech Lord

Not all of the cars cut corners and went cheap but there are some that are priced so cheap that it hurts the quality of the market. If it becomes a price war, the product will suffer as quality will just keep going down. I want to keep precision and quality along with a reasonable price. Look at TC, that class was the opposite. They started off cheap and as toys. Now they are incredible and much more expensive because of the precision and quality. I dont understand why 1/12th and WGT is going backwards.
J Concepts
Old 07-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #1888
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not all of the cars cut corners and went cheap but there are some that are priced so cheap that it hurts the quality of the market. If it becomes a price war, the product will suffer as quality will just keep going down. I want to keep precision and quality along with a reasonable price. Look at TC, that class was the opposite. They started off cheap and as toys. Now they are incredible and much more expensive because of the precision and quality. I dont understand why 1/12th and WGT is going backwards.
I guess king backwards is easier than going foward for them
Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #1889
Tech Master

As you've already decided keep the quality high. I'd rather complain and have to save a little longer to buy something once. Since I just bought my car will the new design be a conversion as well a as kit? Nevermind I know the answer (yes).
E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #1890
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Looking forward to your next masterpiece!