Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Duly noted, thanks.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #1862
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Starting to get mine ready to rumble

I do need some pointers on wiring with brushless / lipo.

Anyways, this is the first 12th I've had in a long time, it was 19t and nimh before this. I need to get the scoop on wiring this thing up. First off, I am putting an LRP TC competition ESC in... do I really need to run a receiver pack? And if so, what is the correct method for setting it up this way?

Also, if I run this esc with a receiver pack, I should not use the on/off switch, correct? I was told this can damage it.

Any tips on setting this specific ESC up for 1s 12th is appreciated, thanks. Not a total noob to 12th, just the current format.
you do not need to run a booster or receiver with LRP. For 13.5 I run 1,5,6,0 on the speedo with a LRP 13.5 motor.

Steve Dunn
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #1863
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Starting to get mine ready to rumble

I do need some pointers on wiring with brushless / lipo.

Anyways, this is the first 12th I've had in a long time, it was 19t and nimh before this. I need to get the scoop on wiring this thing up. First off, I am putting an LRP TC competition ESC in... do I really need to run a receiver pack? And if so, what is the correct method for setting it up this way?

Also, if I run this esc with a receiver pack, I should not use the on/off switch, correct? I was told this can damage it.

Any tips on setting this specific ESC up for 1s 12th is appreciated, thanks. Not a total noob to 12th, just the current format.

I remember those days at superiors anyhow I'm putting together my ch12 tonight . Also the lrp sxx stock spec ver 2 is sweet
Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #1864
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Marcos!!!! Glad to have you on board buddy I'm digging the Stock Spec V2's as well. Got one in the TC6 and just put one in my S411
Just gotta pull the SXX outta my CH12 and put a SS V2 in it.....

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 07-20-2011 at 01:40 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #1865
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
I remember those days at superiors anyhow I'm putting together my ch12 tonight . Also the lrp sxx stock spec ver 2 is sweet
Awwws Yeahhh!!! BITD Superior was the shiz, glad to say I have some decent parking lot racing here in MD too, but no 12th . On the flip side, we have a killer indoor track that opened up, I got the CH12 specifically for that. I guess you decided that instead of making the Top like a BMI, just go back to the BMI, can't blame you .

Anyways, I got this response from Lrp support:

Yes you will need a receiver pack. The way that I use them is pull the red wire out of the speed control receiver connector, they just use an on/off switch for the receiver pack. With the red wire pulled no one will accidently turn them both on and blow out your BEC…or place the speed control on/off switch in a place that no one can get to it to turn it on.

Thanks also Jason for fielding my questions!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #1866
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

With out looking back 50 pages can someone share the newest setup for the CH12 with new front end? Track is semi bumpy with good traction. Hoping to see my new car tomorrow.
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Electric / WTF
AE B44.3 / ORCA VXX / D4 7.5
MCSEDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #1867
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I will put together a good starting setup for you buddy. Just give me till the end of today.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #1868
Tech Lord

Hey guys,

I want to see what you guys have to say about something. As you are all probably aware, all of the costs on 1/12th cars are drastically dropping as my competition seems to be changing from made in USA to packaged in USA but made in China. I have not been able to cut costs on my cars as they have evolved being that i keep adding more cost and keeping the price the same. What i want to see is if you guys would rather me cut cost by using things such as steel turnbuckles,cheap bearings ect. I want to stay competitive but being that i make all of our products in house, I cant compete with all of the Chinese product prices and i refuse to farm my stuff out to China. I just dont have the 50-60% markups that everyone else has. I am working on a very small profit margin on these cars from keeping it made in USA. What are your thoughts? I dont want to cheapen the car to compete if that is not what you want. You guys are the ones buying this stuff so i want to know exactly what you want to buy. Is it the price or quality that determines what you buy?

Thanks,
Jason Breiner
J Concepts
Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #1869
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Hey guys,

I want to see what you guys have to say about something. As you are all probably aware, all of the costs on 1/12th cars are drastically dropping as my competition seems to be changing from made in USA to packaged in USA but made in China. I have not been able to cut costs on my cars as they have evolved being that i keep adding more cost and keeping the price the same. What i want to see is if you guys would rather me cut cost by using things such as steel turnbuckles,cheap bearings ect. I want to stay competitive but being that i make all of our products in house, I cant compete with all of the Chinese product prices and i refuse to farm my stuff out to China. I just dont have the 50-60% markups that everyone else has. I am working on a very small profit margin on these cars from keeping it made in USA. What are your thoughts? I dont want to cheapen the car to compete if that is not what you want. You guys are the ones buying this stuff so i want to know exactly what you want to buy. Is it the price or quality that determines what you buy?

Thanks,
Jason Breiner
Quality

What is the sense of buying something cheap if you are just going to have to spend money later to upgrade
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #1870
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Quality

What is the sense of buying something cheap if you are just going to have to spend money later to upgrade
I agree but so many people seem to have no problem with that. I dont get it. I think they just look at the low pricetag and pay no mind to how much extra they spend on it.
J Concepts
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #1871
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Hey guys,

I want to see what you guys have to say about something. As you are all probably aware, all of the costs on 1/12th cars are drastically dropping as my competition seems to be changing from made in USA to packaged in USA but made in China. *************** Is it the price or quality that determines what you buy?
Thanks,
Jason Breiner

Hi Jason,
You may make it easier. You can sell cheaper model but all additional hop-ups can be sold as more expensive!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #1872
Tech Elite

I wonder if you could sell a "bare bones" version of the car, I mean a lot of guys making the purchase are already going to have things floating around like turnbuckles, bearings, ect. Maybe they have a specific brand or sponsor for these items already?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #1873
Tech Lord

Absorbing it all. Please keep it coming. Thanks for your input guys.
J Concepts
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #1874
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default My Opinion and a bit of uneccessary background

Jason, My feeling is that you are a boutique manufacturer and with that comes, not the same car everyone else is running at the track, a quality that surpasses the average AE and CRC cars that everyone is running and a design that steps out of the box. I understand as a business you are trying to stay within the same price point and that gets more and more difficult as larger more mainstream companies find ways to make there product cheaper and cheaper. I don't think I am your average racer. I know it cost money to race and be competitive. I don't think I am going to just buy in and that's all it takes to be an above average racer. I also don't care for spec classes. I never raced legends, SCT, VTA or other class that was designed to bring new comes into the hobby yet gets flooded with seasoned racers saying those classes are to separate the money and require the right setup. I just ordered your car because I wanted an above average car that was cutting edge and got away from the 15 yo "AE new front end" (god am I really still calling it the new front end after 15 or so years). I have been in and out of the hobby since 92, I got 3rd place in 12th scale in the Florida state series in like 94 or so the year all the host sites canceled and we raced at that dudes house in Naples nearly every month if anyone remembers those days?

I think you should keep building your high quality car and charge the premium to have the quality car. The fact you have never left a previous version car out in the cold should tell your buyers you are always there for them even after a new car comes out. I heard a story yesterday about a battery company that was on top because they found a great source for cells started using "B" cells and then there name became mud. I hope you're not looking for that. Also I don't know that trying to stock two versions of most parts will work out. Trying to stock and keep track could get real painful as a small or my understanding a side venture to a larger company you have there.

I got a DB12RR with a bunch of other stuff I bought off a guy getting out. Last night I ran that car instead of my AE. With what I felt was mediocre setup I was able to break the track record, TQ and win the main. Suddenly everyone was interested in the car and all had lots of comments about the quality. I was proud to be running a boutique American made car that people were interested in.

Keep putting the quality in your product, keep improving your design, stepping out of the box and do the best to stay within reason of the average guys. Also know people are seeing your work, the summer is slow and if I recall your new car was released on the down slide of the season so hope for awesomeness come September.
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Electric / WTF
AE B44.3 / ORCA VXX / D4 7.5
MCSEDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #1875
Tech Elite

"My feeling is that you are a boutique manufacturer"

Good point... you have a special product for sure. I play music and have had a number of Rickenbacker guitars, for instance, and the thing I like most is that they have never been anything but a high-end market item, niche instrument I suppose, they cost a bit more but the pride of ownership is hard to beat. Don't want to get off topic, just making a comparison.

I think you could offer kits that leave some of the final details up to the buyer? For instance not one spring is going to suit everybody, leave it up to the racer to choose? I mean this as an option to the complete kits you sell now. Kudos for not wanting to sell-out just to mass produce a cheaper kit.