R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #61
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by gee-dub
i got a pair of yok gp3300 packs awhile back, and since i really didn't know if dead shorting was better/worse, i dead shorted one (deans bulbs with cutoff, then integy tray, the 1157 light bulb across whole pack for storage), but not the other.

using this great little volt meter from radio shack that came with software to record voltage levels at settable intervals (1 second in this case), i "dynoed" my battery packs as new, then after 3 months (7 race days at 2 runs a day). i had lost fairly significant runtime on my shorted pack, about 43 seconds vs. my non-shorted pack (21 seconds). i did however have a very slight gain in avg voltage on the shorted pack, while the non-shorted pack lost a very small amount.

BUT...... after taking the output of the discharge curves, and plugging them into an excel spreadsheet, i found something really interesting. the shorted packs only had their voltage advantage for about the first 450mah of the discharge cycle, then the non-shorted pack was better. this leads me to believe (in this grantedly small test pool) that the dead shorting produces higher initial charge output as well as a stronger intial discharge voltage. also, i think the earlier cutoff time masks the shorted cell as having a higher discharge voltage since the discharge curve at the end is steeper.
Excellent, quantitatively motivated comments.

When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:25 AM   #62
Tech Elite
Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN

AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:22 PM   #63
Tech Master

you guys kill me! read up on this stuff will ya!

this from the smc site. the best batteries in the world!

Gold Peak GP3300SCHR NiMH

We have been using a linear 6 amp charge rate with very good results. For maximum performance try to get your pack peak just before your race. If it has been sitting for awhile repeak with the same setup as the initial charge. If it's been sitting for 5 minutes or less repeak it with a .01( 10 mv ) peak detect.

Peak detect ( voltage threshold ):
-We use a .05 ( 50 mv ) for 6 cell packs.
-We use a .03 ( 30mv ) for 4 cell packs.

Discharge & Storage:

After the race discharge the pack down to .90 volts per cell. This equals to 5.40 ( 6 cell ) or 3.60 ( 4 cell ). Let the pack rest until the next time you plan on using them. Don't put them on a tray.

We are under the conclusion that cycling these cells brings no benefit other then determining if your pack has fallen off.

New charging updates for GP 3300ís

SMC is really growing at a rapid pace and we will continue to keep the best quality possible. We will not sacrifice quality even though we are producing higher amounts of cells.I have been testing many methods of setting up my matchers in the past 6 months or so. Here is the latest care info that we have been using on the newer high voltage GP's.1: After a run discharge the pack down to 3.6 (4 cell) and 5.4 (6 cell) let it rest until the next time you plan on using it.

Before you go to charge it put the pack on a pure resistor (no diodes) use a tray such as the Integy Indi Octane 2, for 2-3 minutes and then charge it.

This will improve the runtime by a few seconds and keep the voltage and AIR in good shape.

2: For those who aren't concerned about capacity you can use the following method

After a run discharge the pack down to 3.6 (4 cell) and 5.4 (6 cell) and then place it on the resistor only tray for 5 minutes or so then short the pack and store it shorted until the next time you plan on using it.

If you run your pack a second time in one day you should put it on the resistor only tray for 45 - 60 minutes and then let it rest until you are ready to use it again

This method will drop the runtime by 20-25 seconds but will increase the average voltage and may reduce the AIR.
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:09 AM   #64
Tech Master

I just fully dischraged my Sanyo 3000 pack, how can I bring it back with dead shorting?
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote