Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dead Shorting, a Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

what kind of #'s are the novak pakcs getting?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Evicerator
Jon, yeah, I ran Novak packs...they should be shipping next week actually...

I'll cycle some of the packs we ran and post some of the info...

FYI, Chuck Lonergan, Travis Schrevin, Paul Ciccarello, and myself did not dead short...I can't say whether or not the rest of the top 10 guys did or not... I believe Alex was traying/shorting his stuff...but who knows about everyone else...
Hey Steve, when you have the top .3% best batteries in the whole industry, you probably have enough juice NOT to short your cells. Those of us buying batteries with less voltage than what you practice with need every edge we can get!!

BTW- nice driving at the Nats!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

So are you supposed to deadshort the packs everytime you put them away or just once in a while?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

If you charge your pack fully, and then dead short. Its like dead shorting and Zapping at the same time.....

JUST KIDDING!!! DONT DO IT
Old 04-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

for best results everytime, because the charge right after the deadshort will usually give the best #'s
Old 04-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So, Gary...do I get the honor of being The One Who Doesn't Agree With Everyone Else?
No Doc, I was refering to matchers. BUT, the person who told you to short is the one i am refering to
Old 04-09-2004, 12:41 PM
The Evicerator

Thanks for the props Big Dog...

as far as the whole dead short thing... I just don't like seeing people essentially ruin their batteries in the hopes that it *might improve* the performance a little bit...

but that's just my opinion
Old 04-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Steve-good point-if done wrong-I am sure it can ruin batteries.

I was so confident in my dead shorted batteries-I ran the same two batteries I had for the US Indoor Champs 2003 and the 2004 Snowbirds and 04 Nats. I think on the last cycle before the Nats they were still 390 7.10 on T35!!

But-as I stated earlier-I dont deadshort my 12th scale batteries or bateries I want to run Mod sedan with. ON those I still want runtime galore.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone wanna share more info on this dead shorting?

I just tested some of my packs and found to have better voltage and lower IR.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

I tested with those rainbow cells.
Will it work with those 2 tone GP cells??
Share some info please.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've been dead shorting 2 new packs one Orion pack which are the SP cells rainbow wrapper, and a Pro-Match(two-tone) pack. Both have been excellent. They are both charging up to 4100mah every time since they were new, with an increase in voltage. I've heard and been dead shorting before there was a run on either pack, but it must be done from the first cycle.JMO

These packs are 2 months old, and get run every weekend.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

just want to ask you guys, is it safe to dead short a sanyo 3300? how about a panasonic smh? thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

i race oval.. and i would say 80% of the guys dead short.. the guys who dont get new packs all the time...

from my expirience with dead shorting the pack atually seems to last longer. then a pack not dead shorted...in my opinion it does not damage the pack...

all of my packs not dead shorted seem to lose voltage after every run.. then after a few weeks they start to run flat... one thing that dead shorting does is it keep the internal resistence down... this to me is where the punch comes from...

after a few weeks and a cycle the ir numbers on my non dead shorted are sky high.. but the dead shorted ones are still nioce and low...

It is not recomended to start dead shorting a pack after it has been used... if u decide to dead short u must do it from new... and continue to do it .. if u stop u will gain run time back but your voltage and ir will go down huge... and the pack will run like it is half charged...

when u dead short keep the pack on the tray as long as possible.. it is good to have a volt meter.. hook it to the pos and neg of the battery pack.. u can watch the voltage drop .. even if the lights are out the pack can still have a good amount of voltage in it.. and dead shorting t then can damage it... when u dead short wait until the voltag stops dropping.. usally around .35-.40 .... the lower the number the less bounce back u have.. if u do it right the pack should not regain voltage ...

if the voltage is still higher and the light are out but u take it off.. it will bounce up really fast.... u DO NOT want to dead short then.. because u will burn out the packs...it is key that when u dead short u do it the same every time... this will insure a good lasting pack....

when i dead short i use a very thin solder... just wrap the solder around the pos to the negative while the pack is on the tray... if there is to much voltage in the pack the solder will act as a fuse and break apart to save the pack from a meltdown..

i am very good friends with the battery matcher for TEAM ONE.... this is what he told me to do if i want good performance for a long time..
Old 05-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

corsec.. i have seen guys dead short the stock metal and ultra metals... it does help the voltage.. but when they rematched the packs the voltage was killer but they could not get a cell withing 10 seconds of another for runtime...

it also seemed to lessen the life of the pack.. panasonics are not meant to last long anyway.. thats has always been the case with them... the gp cells seem to be built more like a nicad,, when we ran nicads we dead shiorted them all the time.. i had 6 year old 2000 pack with the same voltage and runtime as when they were new... the 2000's loved dead shorting..
Old 05-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

I dead shorted by 5 months old cells which has really gone down in run time n voltage. And a very huge increase in IR.

I tested dead shorting the last week and my packs seems to come to life. Run time (??), voltage and a.voltage increase and the IR went down by almost half (??). I don know how true cos i am just using a CDC v6.0B charger (not any high end charger) but after tested it on the track, i will really intro dead shorting cells to everyone.

But necessary steps needed to be taken. burbs have given good steps by steps on how to dead short your cells withotu hurting them.

IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.