What equalizer do you reccomend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What equalizer do you reccomend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Tech Addict

Default What equalizer do you reccomend?

I'm looking to get an equalizer in order to gain back some run time from my batteries and keep them in good condition. I've heard lots of good things about the Rayspeed Discharger but I cant find it anywhere at a decent price. Speedtechrc, the only US store I know of that caries it is out of stock and the HK prices are $25 more expensive. Does anybody know where I could find one at a decent price. The Rayspeed only appears to have a connection to 4 of the 6 cells how are the other cells equalized? Are there any other good equalizers out there? I dont want to spend $85 on the Novak.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i just had a look at the team much more zero v rack pretty cheap and looks good
Old 04-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

Check this Integy equalizer . It's very similar to the Rayspeed and it's 59,50$.

About connections, the cells are soldered together, so there aint any need for 6 connections, 4 is enough.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by syntex1
i just had a look at the team much more zero v rack pretty cheap and looks good
I dont know of this, can you provide a link?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Iv'e used the Integy Indi booster 2 for the last year or so with good results....it equalizes any number of cells, in any arrangment, up to 6 cells....It has a dial inside so you can set the lights on the outside to go out at a desired voltage (It takes some messing around with a voltmeter to get the dial thing just right)....... If the cells are left on many hours(as I often do) the cells will stop at zero without damaging cell reversal....price is around 40.00 bucks
Old 04-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Here we go again, cut-off at 0,9 volt or all the way to zero?

It's very true, there aint any risk of cell reversal, when it's done on an equalizer, which handle each cell individually.

But still, some says GP cells dont like to go to zero volt, while others say they do.

It would be very interesting to make a regular test. Buy 4 packs of brand XYZ, matched, so they are as even as possible. Not nessecarily the best numbers.

Then treat them the excat same way. Charge-race-discharge-store-equalize before next run. Only differences should be that with two of the packs they should be equalized to zero, and the other two to 0,9 volt. Then compare numbers after a week, a month, 6 month and 12 month.

But then again, after 12 months, we get some new generation cells
Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 AM
Tech Adept

http://www.much-more.co.kr/bbs/zboar...d=e_dis_charge
Old 04-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Tech Master

Also forgot to say.....the one I mentioned(The indi booster 2) is idealy meant to be used with a pack thats already been normaly discharged....because of it's low (1.75 amp) discharge rate....and the resistors and diodes aren't meant to handle a full or even a partially charged pack.......(In my opinion)It's purely for equalizing.....hope this helps some.........Joe
Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Check this Integy equalizer . It's very similar to the Rayspeed and it's 59,50$.

About connections, the cells are soldered together, so there aint any need for 6 connections, 4 is enough.
I have used this for a while now with good results....

BTW: if you ain't deadshorting your cells, then you discharge to about 0.9v per cell and store like that.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks, that's definately a nice one. However, I'm taking the safe route with 0,9 volt auto cut off.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:07 AM
Tech Master

Hey Cole,Im doing that exact test..but even one step further..... two of the packs were brought to zero and then dead shorted....for the last 8 months Ive been trying this with six pro match 1.17's numbered packs.....cycling to check numbers on a bi-weekly basis....my findings were that the packs brought to zero and the dead shorted packs held their numbers much better than the cells brought down to .9 volts especialy concerning cell voltage and the cell's internal resistance, not to mention flat out better punch......the loss in run time on the dead shorted packs was between 15 and 30 seconds per pack over the 8 months...... ( im not saying it's fact or even a big enough study, but for me in stock racing, it's the dead short method all the way, where the increased voltage and lower internal resistance (more punch) can be usefull and the runtime loss is far from being noticed...... or a .9 volts max discharge (and storage)when I run low wind mod and every bit of runtime is needed.....Just some thoughts
Old 04-07-2004, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, many of the eq's with auto cut off (incl. Rayspeed) is slow, so it's best to combine with a fast one, like 20 or 30 amps.

I reccommend getting a EQ with some sort of control light for each cell. This way you'll ensure that there aint a single cell which aint connected, thus aint discharge as the others... which will risk the life of that cell, because it's fully charged before the others...
Old 04-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Tech Master

check out SMC's "batterys update" for the gp 3300 cells on their website
Old 04-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Joe B, that's very interesting. When you say discharge to 0,9 volt is it as a pack or on an EQ board? And at which amp rate?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:22 AM
Tech Master

(GFX) 30 amp discharged to .9 volts per cell as a whole pack then put on the Indi trey at 1.75amps to get the .9volts per cell confirmation.....when you take them off the trey the cells bounce back to about 1.20 with a slight fluctuation so there's really no way to keep the cells at a steady voltage with out using the dead short method and even when you do that you have to solder the wire on the pack while it's still on the trey with the cells reading zero..and then taking it off......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.