R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   lrp X12 17.5 and spx questions about timing and "Warning" from lrp (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/375985-lrp-x12-17-5-spx-questions-about-timing-warning-lrp.html)

fat500 03-02-2010 07:21 AM

lrp X12 17.5 and spx questions about timing and "Warning" from lrp

I have a lrp spx and a x12 SS 17.5. In the lrp x12 manual it says....DO NOT use advanced timing speed control profiles with the x12 stock spec motors. It says to NOT use profiles 7-8 on the spx as their testing found NO advantage in the performance and it only made the motor run hotter. WTF:eek:
Anyone who has this setup can chime in on this please. Locals at the track are saying to run profile 7-8 but none of them run a x12 motor.
Any help is great:nod: Thanks:tire:
see the pic below.....turn your head to read the warning section :weird::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tread1 03-02-2010 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by fat500 (Post 7079279)
I have a lrp spx and a x12 SS 17.5. In the lrp x12 manual it says....DO NOT use advanced timing speed control profiles with the x12 stock spec motors. It says to NOT use profiles 7-8 on the spx as their testing found NO advantage in the performance and it only made the motor run hotter. WTF:eek:
Anyone who has this setup can chime in on this please. Locals at the track are saying to run profile 7-8 but none of them run a x12 motor.
see the pic below.....turn your head to read the warning section :weird::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seeing as they make the motor and the speedo and have tested the combo I think I would follow their directions more than "the guys at the track" :lol:

Burney 03-02-2010 11:56 AM

well i was shocked when i read this and so had to test it becasue i hate profile 6 it doesnt seem to have any boost.

i ran profile 6 and motor come off at 84C and was getting blown away by the tekin

i ran profile 7 it was very quick still getting closed down but very competitve even Tq'd the round. HOWEVER was disspaotined the motro come off at 105C

so i bought some fans and brought it down to 87C and ran for the rest of the day on that becasue i really needed that speed in profile 7.

now i have a weekend off racing we will do some test and try to find a better sweet spot in the profie 6 range and try get the temps down without fans if it aint posisle this motor is going.

RKeasler 03-02-2010 12:14 PM

You can run it that way but the motor has extremely high timing built in, which is why they don't recommend advanced timing from the speedo. It also reportedly runs well up to 200 degrees or better (thats in the instructions), but the fans are fine to help keep it cool. Really good motor but I sold mine because I bought a Tekin.

Rod

HoboShop 03-02-2010 01:21 PM

So would it be safe to use the boost and turbo setting that are on the tekin esc on the lrp x12 17.5?

BLUE 2 03-02-2010 01:50 PM

Hi

I have been testing this setup & i run on profile 8 with factory timing on the motor & it comes off at 65 - 75 deg C , im running a rollout of about 34mm in my HB Cyclone .

It's fast & i was only a second off my mates tekin lap times in practice at the track i was running , so with a bit more fine tuning with rollouts & a fan i think it could do ok .

See ya :sneaky:

TryHard 03-02-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Burney (Post 7080512)
well i was shocked when i read this and so had to test it becasue i hate profile 6 it doesnt seem to have any boost.

i ran profile 6 and motor come off at 84C and was getting blown away by the tekin

i ran profile 7 it was very quick still getting closed down but very competitve even Tq'd the round. HOWEVER was disspaotined the motro come off at 105C

so i bought some fans and brought it down to 87C and ran for the rest of the day on that becasue i really needed that speed in profile 7.

now i have a weekend off racing we will do some test and try to find a better sweet spot in the profie 6 range and try get the temps down without fans if it aint posisle this motor is going.

Ricky,
Like I said, try it with the timing retarded... that'll help the bottom end grunt, and cool the motor on 7... ;)

Ed

Burney 03-02-2010 03:04 PM

will do mate hopefully maritime is open on saturday so i can have a play i wasnt up for throwing away anymore heats trying stuff on sunday i was dropping down the qualifying rapidly had to go for the hot option lol.

AdminD 03-02-2010 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by fat500 (Post 7079279)

That's actually incorrect,
This Stock Spec USER GUIDE warning notes is supposed for
10.5 and 9.5 where there actually is a MOD Motors.
it's that technical data 10.5 and 9.5 is included, was incorrect.
10.5 equal to 21Turn is Super Stock not Stock.
they might miss typed.

so 13.5 or higher than that 7-8 profiles works.

fat500 03-03-2010 09:16 AM

well i called lrp and they confirmed it. They said NO to 13.5 and 17.5 as well.:cry: They also said the motor gearing chart that comes with the x12 is wrong and they are putting a updated one in all the new motors. 4.0 for tc 17.5 is way too low they said. start at 5.8 and work from there. they said the motors sweet spot is in the high 5 range with profile 6 on the spx.
I will test and report back;)

Chaz955i 03-03-2010 09:57 AM

Hi does anyone know if the warning applies to profiles 7 & 8 on the Sphere? I'm not sure if those profiles have an equivelent profiles on the newer LRP speedos like the SPX. I think I've read that the higher throttle profiles on the sphere have some timing but not near as much as the SPX.

Thanks

chicky03 03-03-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chaz955i (Post 7085339)
Hi does anyone know if the warning applies to profiles 7 & 8 on the Sphere? I'm not sure if those profiles have an equivelent profiles on the newer LRP speedos like the SPX. I think I've read that the higher throttle profiles on the sphere have some timing but not near as much as the SPX.

Thanks

7 and 8 on the Sphere are similar to 6 on the SPX so you'll be fine with 8 on the Sphere.

Paul

HoboShop 03-03-2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by HoboShop (Post 7080889)
So would it be safe to use the boost and turbo setting that are on the tekin esc on the lrp x12 17.5?

Can somebody please answer this question for me.

RKeasler 03-03-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by HoboShop (Post 7085798)
Can somebody please answer this question for me.

If set very low yeah, if you are willing to take a chance on smoking it yeah, but since the settings on the Tekin can be far more aggressive than the SPX on anything, you can very easily be one motor short. Hope that helps.

Rod

Chaz955i 03-03-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by chicky03 (Post 7085347)
7 and 8 on the Sphere are similar to 6 on the SPX so you'll be fine with 8 on the Sphere.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Good luck this weekend!!