R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Ball differential VS Gear differerential (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/375910-ball-differential-vs-gear-differerential.html)

jiewei1987 03-02-2010 12:02 AM

Ball differential VS Gear differerential

Anybody used ball differential b4? Wat are the noticeable differerences? is ball one lighter? but i heard tat tiny sand can get into the ball bearings of the ball differential. . .

P.I.M.P 03-02-2010 12:11 AM

Hi Im a fan of the gear diff after using one in a serpent s400 it had a great feel to the car the only thing is there got more mass then a ball diff and the gear diff is harder on belts but if I could get a gear diff for my t3 I would

WheelNut 03-02-2010 11:02 AM

If you are driving in dirty parking lots use your gear diff, or if you aren't racing at all use the gear diff. If you are racing the ball should be lighter and smoother. On a race track you shouldn't have to worry to much about dirt getting into the diff, since it should be clean.

JR007 03-02-2010 11:15 AM

Ball diffs are the only choice for on-road racing. You are right, gunk does get into them, so you need to strip them periodically and rebuild them.
Gear diffs are just heavy, and usually not adjustable. The ball diff can be finely adjusted.

akura2 03-02-2010 02:27 PM

The only thing I like about gear diffs is that you get instantaneous power to the ground... ball diffs may have a tad bit of slip to them in a high-powered application... I saw a video of a comparison test between 4WD buggies... one with a ball diff and one with a gear diff.... both set p pretty identically, and both running off the same transmitter... the gear diffed buggy was noticeably quicker off the line, and would even wheelie on occasion....

I like the instant adjustability of the ball diff, whereas a gear diff has to be adjusted by using different weights of diff grease... and it's not an exact science

jiewei1987 03-03-2010 03:25 AM

wow.. seems like u guys know alot abt differentials... one thing i still curious.. when the ball differentials are adjust, will the adjustments come loose after sometime?

niznai 03-03-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by akura2 (Post 7081173)
The only thing I like about gear diffs is that you get instantaneous power to the ground... ball diffs may have a tad bit of slip to them in a high-powered application... I saw a video of a comparison test between 4WD buggies... one with a ball diff and one with a gear diff.... both set p pretty identically, and both running off the same transmitter... the gear diffed buggy was noticeably quicker off the line, and would even wheelie on occasion....

I like the instant adjustability of the ball diff, whereas a gear diff has to be adjusted by using different weights of diff grease... and it's not an exact science

I think you're referring to the Durango vs something else that eludes me right now. If I remember correctly however that was a test run on an offroad track where grip will determine which car is quick and which is not. I would like to see that test run on a high grip on road surface. A balldiff can be tightened until it behaves like a spool if you really wanted albeit it will increase understeer. Gear diffs will suffer the same effect as you increase the oil viscosity.

Originally Posted by jiewei1987 (Post 7084065)
[...]
when the ball differentials are adjust, will the adjustments come loose after sometime?

Not if you're building them correctly. They do wear out and then they will undoubtedly be out of adjustment, but you can readjust as needed without rebuilding.

Originally Posted by JR007 (Post 7080358)
Ball diffs are the only choice for on-road racing. You are right, gunk does get into them, so you need to strip them periodically and rebuild them.
Gear diffs are just heavy, and usually not adjustable. The ball diff can be finely adjusted.

If you use some good diff covers you can avoid completely the issue of dirt getting in.

That leaves the main advantages of the balldiff which are adjustability, accesibility and lightness.

That being said, you need to rebuild your diffs because they wear out but I would imagine gear diffs need some maintenance too. Ceramic balls and good diff plates can go a long way towards spacing out the maintenance intervals on a balldiff.

Rozzer 03-04-2010 09:19 AM

If you use a ball diff and it slips when you put down the power, it needs tightening. Ball diffs give you far more control over your car's setup

RC MARKET 03-04-2010 12:40 PM

Hk many driver & user used 2 years ago,
Cyclone , T2,008/9 , T3 , BD5 TRF416 ... all changed ,
TOP final test now !

used gear diff off power can support more turn & on power more punch !
don't need keep rebuild , test silicone oil only !

RC MARKET 03-04-2010 12:42 PM

but if on power over rear side will had some spin !

Faiz 03-05-2010 12:03 AM

I prefer gear diff for its predictability.. smooth throttle needed all the way,,

RC MARKET 03-05-2010 01:27 AM

easy to make !

Dragonfire 03-05-2010 03:44 AM

If you can use a gear diff on your chassis I believe you are mad not to. Yes they weigh a bit more but they are consistent and smooth at all times. A more serious racer could have two or three units ready to run at all times with different settings for the ultimate in performance.

William "Q" 04-18-2010 08:53 PM

I had a Losi XXX BK2 and 4wd Kyosho Lazer I loved both cars but the ball diff rebuilding I hated due to the lack of getting them right every time. As soon as I found out AE had the B4.1 I sold both the BK2 and Lazer. The gear diffs to me are a God send. Gear diffs are easy to maintain and to me more reliable. I want to buy a 4wd electric buggy with gear diffs but it seems Durango is taking forever to release their cheaper version of the 2, electric 4wd buggys. I'm hopeing AE will make a B44.1 since they did the B4.1 and T4.1. Does anyone know when Durango is going to release their buggys?

razzor 04-19-2010 07:29 AM

Having seen how much hassles guys have with ball diffs in the mod class and plenty of DNF's the gear diff is and would be a welcome alternative.
Local Serpent distributor finally got some gear diffs and its night and day for reliability and ease of or lack of maintenance needed for it.
Hoping he gets some more soon so i can make it fit my TOP.