Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

well, not to get too technical, the tray does just what it is named, it equalizes all of the cells, with a normal discharger, plugging only onto the + and the - poles of the whole pack, there is no way to make sure each cell is discharged exactly the same amount. so this tray brings each cell to the exact same amount, basically giving you not more power, but you wont loose as much power out of your pack, each time you put them through a cyle of charging, running, and discharging
Old 04-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

thats what i thought...so it monitors each cell individually at .9?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

well, depending on the tray...they will all basically check the voltage, and once the cell's voltage reaches that level, it will shut the discharging of that cell off and continue with the other cells until they are all done. and also, some trays go down to 0.0v not just .9, like I discharge at 30 amps using my Integy mini discharger or my GFX, to 5.4volts or .9v per cell, then I put them on my integy tray that brings each cell down to 0.0v
Old 04-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mike Blackstock
I know i was impressed by the new novak tray. There are alot of things you can do with this that other trays will not do. I know for one it will help your batt's stay fresh longer. So 80 bucks is minimal for how long you will have this product.. Just think no more babysitting your tray worried about the cells dropping below a certain point etc.. Plus it is fully adjustable. .. Give it a try before you knock it :0

Mike Blackstock
I don't have to babysit my cells using my rayspeed discharger. So much for that argument.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Charlie
The primary reason it is so much more expensive is because it works correctly. It will take much better care of a battery pack. To acheive this it is powered by 12 volts and monitors the cell voltage. When each cell reaches the correct voltage, the tray actually stops discharging that cell. Other trays are just bulbs, resistors and Diodes, there is no voltage measured, and they usually discharge the cells too far.

The delay has been with packaging and the final plastics. We are looking at least a couple more weeks before they are out.

I think the rayspeed tray is the next best thing, but there seems to some relibility issues if fully or half charged packs are put in, the Novak tray can take a fully charged pack down if you want, just takes a while.

You guys can always email Novak Directly for these questions. Our website is behind as our web person is busy with some new adds and preparations for the upcoming RCX Hobby Show.

Thanks,
Charlie
Wow that's not biased in the least.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally posted by =MisFitz= NuKe
Alright, well sorry bud, but uh, there are 4 of us down here who all use integy dischargers and they work prefectly fine, I have put the batteries on there, packed my stuff, then come back to them (not watching them), and my packs run as good as new.
I'm not doubting that they work for people, but all the battery matchers I've talked to or whose websites i've visited, all say NOT to draw the cells down to 0.0v. My own personal experiences with the Octane 2 has led me to believe that you need a cut off of some sort.

Now, After looking over Integy's site, I saw that they have their SP Saddle discharger which has a voltage cut-off. That one I would recommend.

So, as long as it has some sort of cutoff, it should be fine for taking care of your packs.

But I have to agree with rctech user Joe B who wrote on the other equalizer thread:

the fact of the matter , is that there is no "one fits all" method to use for batterys whether were talking about charging amperage....discharge method....equalizing preference.....and storage methods.....the many variables and methods will yield different results that may be better for one type of racing over another...thats why people do it
So let's all go out and win some races!!

Last edited by RCBuddha; 04-08-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:10 AM
R/C Tech Founder

As a certified lover of cool gadgets, I, for one, can't wait to check out this tray. Anytime somebody adds an LCD to anything, I'll probably buy it.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm an avid watcher of cells on a tray with my voltmeter. I wish someone could incorporate a real time voltage LCD on each cell so I wouldn't have to probe each cell to see what it's voltage is. Downside to this it would probably be larger in size and cost $200.00. To me this is worth it though and I would buy it because it's currently what I'm doing but with a volt meter. Maybe I should just buy 6 cheap volt meters and hard wire them right to the posts. Any volt meters out there about the size of a coin dollar that has an on/off/ac/dc switch and that's it?? Need to keep this small
Old 04-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

sO THE WAIT IS ALMOST OVER....RIGHT OUT OF THE MOUTH OF THE BIG FISH....CHARLIE OF NOVAK. .........I guess this little piece of the web we have here REALLY, REALLY .....WORKS......thanx SHANE.......
Old 04-09-2004, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

I used one of these at the Wisconsin Winterfest race in Febuary & it works great. The only hassle was for my battery configuration in my TC3 I had to take off the end bars that goes to my esc wires & flip the pack over to line up the poles in the tray. Makes it more of a pain plus easier to mess up a speed control if you're not careful putting the bars back on the right way. R.W.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

And I thought my current tray was working properly! LOL, Digital is nice, but its now become like splitting hairs. Not that all diodes,light bulbs, and resisters are 100% the same current drawl, is it REALLY that critical to have the cells within .001V from one another? Great, something else to connect to my power supply
Old 04-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Suspended

Default Novak Tray

Originally posted by Mike Blackstock
I know i was impressed by the new novak tray. There are alot of things you can do with this that other trays will not do. I know for one it will help your batt's stay fresh longer. So 80 bucks is minimal for how long you will have this product.. Just think no more babysitting your tray worried about the cells dropping below a certain point etc.. Plus it is fully adjustable. .. Give it a try before you knock it :0

Mike Blackstock
That's easy to say when you get it for free.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

I hope with this kind of investments ($80.00)....it will work with the NEW SANYO "3600"NIMH cells due out very soon.....in as much as the tray is digital, should be adjustable to whatever drop-off voltage you so desire....I hope so
Old 04-09-2004, 08:47 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Man, there sure seems to be a lot of resentment in this thread!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

LOL Shane...........after all

THIS IS THE LAND OF THE BRAVE......

AND THE FREE .......

Freedom of Speech still reigns.....

I LOVE THIS WEBSITE.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.