R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-19-2005, 07:01 PM   #271
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This is a continuation from another thread where there was some debate on whether you could follow the polarity alignment and still fry a pack on the Smart tray...

In pic 1 you will see my personalized Smart Tray that clearly shows the negative symbol on the lower left and positive on the lower right.

In pic 2 you will see a pack the proper alignment of how a pack should go in the tray. Notice negative is bottom left, positive is bottom right.

In pic 3 you will see a pack that also lines up correctly with the polarity indicators. Negative is ALSO bottom left, and positive is ALSO bottom right. The problem is if you put a pack in this way you will fry the pack!
Attached Thumbnails
Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger-smarttray.jpg   Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger-battery1.jpg   Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger-battery2.jpg  
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:26 AM   #272
Tech Rookie
Send a message via MSN to toritor

i have just received it and the only thing i can say is that its incredible.
Now im wondering how could i live without it. Novak is taking the leadership with products of this quality. LRP are losing places on my rc bag and on many other i think.
You guys had made a good job with this go on like this
(waiting for my gtb to make some people need one )
toritor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:18 AM   #273
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

I too cant beleive how i ever survived without the smart tray. Its incredible. My packs are now registering over 3300. I also stripped a stick pack SMC, put bars on it, equalized it, and it went from 2800 at best to 3400. all it took was one cell to drop off, and it false peaks. I was always a sceptic of equalizing etc, i always kept my RC easy, no lathe, stick packs etc. But now ive seen the light. Ive also realised it will be alot longer until i have to buy new packs! As a laugh, i dusted off an old 1700 sanyo pack. I was getting about 1500 off it, which i thought was still good for such an old pack. Well last night i equalised it, and did a std charge on it... 5 amps, and it came up to 1832! I simply dont get it. also the packs are ALOT cooler when they come off the charge.

One question i did have... if a pack vents... is this bad? does it mean its dead? i had a tamiya stick gold 3300, and i stripped it and put bars on it, and after charging (3422!) it started venting from two cells, from the positive end. made a weird sound and sat there. for a while. i havent tried the pack yet, just wondering what everyone knows about venting?

Oh and as for checking the way you put the pack in, i always look for the solder tabs or the corraly type connectors to be at the bottom. ive done the assembly in such a way, that id have to be drunk to put the pack in the wrong way... but regardless i always double check before hitting the button
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote