Search

Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking Dead short mode!

I don't know if anyone knows aobout this mode. But if you
unplug the unit and hold down the set button when powering
up' you will get a DS display when you release the button.
Just found this myself.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post Re: Dead short mode!

Originally posted by mark pesce
I don't know if anyone knows aobout this mode. But if you
unplug the unit and hold down the set button when powering
up' you will get a DS display when you release the button.
Just found this myself.
Isn't that on the back of the box?

- JB
Old 01-31-2005, 11:08 PM

I have a tray on order, any chance you can post/host a pic of a 4 cell saddle pack set in a tray?
Old 02-01-2005, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by Losiho
Yes, I have the International Version, and the included input wire and plug will not fit into the power jack on the right hand side. What can be done ? Has Novak supplied the wrong input plugs ?

Komkit - How can you say the unit works well if you also cannot get the input plug to fit ? The unit will not work without AC/DC power.

The DC jack/plug (pigtail) that came along with the unit doesn't fit. The AC/DC adepter jack/plug fit just fine. But I like to use the DC jack/plug - so I went to an Electronics supply shop near by and bought a jack/plug that would fit and made the DC jack/plug myself. So, I don't have to drag the AC/DC adepter around.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default 7 cells!

Anyone try equalizing 7 cells! do you put the pack in like a normal 6 cell, then take the single extra cell & while still attached to the pack disharge the 7th cell with the other 6 hanging off the tray?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default 7-cell discharging

I certainly don't know for fact, but I'd guess you could move the pack over by one cell so the "missed" cell is engaged and do it that way. The other 5 pre-discharged cells still engaged wouldn't discharge any further so only the one would continue to discharge down to your cutoff.

Scottrik
Old 02-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Default Thanks Scottrik!

Last night i got a few beer under my belt and tried it the way i described, dicharge the first 6, then just discharge the seperate cell, i also tried it the other way, single cell first then the other six, sure made a big difference in the E-Maxx, I just love mad scientist experiments, by the way i got a new fire extinguisher today, (just incase)
Old 02-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You sure the beer didn't make the difference? haha what kind of difference?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mod?

I just check the whole thread and seems no one actually did the higher discharger rate mod. The back cement resistor is 5W, 0.47Ohm, with result of 2.55A under 1.2V.

I wanna mod it to 10A discharge rate under 1.2V, makes 0.12Ohm with 12W. Is that the correct cement resistor I should get?

Also, I check over the circuit and found there is an IC 4410 on the path of cement resistor, I believe it's "N-Channel Enhancement Mode Field Effect Transistor" (PDF: http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/cet/CEM4410.pdf). It seems it can take 30V 10A maximum but with my target 10A discharge rate, wouldn't it be a bit on edge if I don't replace the IC for bigger current pass? I search over and found CED61A3 (PDF: http://web2.cetsemi.com/PDF/TO-251-252-N/U61A3.PDF) seems fit the spec with maximum 30V 40A. Is this the correct IC I should replace original one?

Sorry I'm not major in electronic so some question might seems stupid...

Reason for such mod? I love the feature of setting cutoff voltage and I don't wanna use other 20A discharger due to many reason. Mod the Smart Tray seems the best fit way for me.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

I can't really confirm or Deny your modification, but I have some tips maybe.

Instead of discharging the pack at 20 amps to 5.4 volts, discharge it to 6.0 volts or even a little higher, THEN use the Smart Tray on them. This method seems to prevent the weakest cells from being over discharged during the main discharge. Also, if you "up" the current, the voltage cuttoff will not be as accurate as the load is higher.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Instead of discharging the pack at 20 amps to 5.4 volts, discharge it to 6.0 volts or even a little higher, THEN use the Smart Tray on them
Ttso doesn't want to use another discharger, that's why he's trying to mod his SmartTray, but I use charlie's method all the time.

Keep us posted on your mod, Ttso, it'd be great if you get it to work.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share my recent problem and solution with the Smart Tray in case this happens to anyone else. The problem was that the set button on the Tray was no longer returning from a full depression. If you were to push down on it, such as when you change the cutoff or start the discharge, the button would barely move and there would be no "click". At times, the button would get stuck all the way down so the cutoff value would just keep cycling. So, here's the problem and what to do:

Apparently, the translucent green plastice cover on the tray has a little slop. If the tray cover shifts enough to the right, the button will get interference. Just take your thumbs and push the cover to the left and your button should go back to normal, "click" and all.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Tech Rookie

hi
i was wondering if the included wall adaptor included on the USA version is ready for universal use like 220 volt that is used in some countries of europe.
thank you very much
Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

No, the adapter is only for 110. The Tray can be used from any 12 volt source though, so you can run it from your Power Supply. It uses under .3 amps.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toritor
hi
i was wondering if the included wall adaptor included on the USA version is ready for universal use like 220 volt that is used in some countries of europe.
thank you very much
Ask someone from your nearest electronic store. Im from Australia, and i bought most of my gear direct from the US etc from 110v countries. If you check out the specs of the product and check out the back of the wallplug, you will notice it will state the output of the wallplug. This is what is needed to run the smart tray etc. Just ask for a similar output transformer from your local electronics store, and about 90% of the time, it has the correct plug! As long as the output is correct, you wont have a problem using your own 240v wallplug to power you equipment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.