Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Smart Tray Digital Equalizing Discharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive used my smart tray a couple of times and i have noticed that the negative end cell seems to be faulty. Unless i hold the contacts it cuts off very early, and if i hold the contacts, or just put some pressure on it doesnt seem to be cutting off, i cant see my packs being out by very much, almost brand new orion worlds. The end cell is staying on a lot longer than all the others, pulled my pack off today as i didnt want to risk damaging it. As yet ive not had chance to test on a buddys smart tray to see if it is just me and if so ill run the cells through on a protrak a few times incase. Just wanted to know if anyway else had a similar problem.
I have ensured every time that my cells have been placed in the correct orientation as i know this can cause problems.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
How about your tabs? It sounds like if you have to press down on the negative tab, it isn't 'gripping' the pack firmly?

- jaYBee
Old 10-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am experienceing the same problem....the negative end quits very early while all the other cells are stil lit up

Originally posted by berger
Ive used my smart tray a couple of times and i have noticed that the negative end cell seems to be faulty. Unless i hold the contacts it cuts off very early, and if i hold the contacts, or just put some pressure on it doesnt seem to be cutting off, i cant see my packs being out by very much, almost brand new orion worlds. The end cell is staying on a lot longer than all the others, pulled my pack off today as i didnt want to risk damaging it. As yet ive not had chance to test on a buddys smart tray to see if it is just me and if so ill run the cells through on a protrak a few times incase. Just wanted to know if anyway else had a similar problem.
I have ensured every time that my cells have been placed in the correct orientation as i know this can cause problems.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by JayBee
How about your tabs? It sounds like if you have to press down on the negative tab, it isn't 'gripping' the pack firmly?

- jaYBee
I have tried that, its as tight as i can get it, if im not the only one i guess its not an isolated thing.
Charlie, can you confirm/deny offer some help for us please?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone having problems with there Smart Trays? Such as shorting or frying packs?

Jon
Old 10-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Negative post dumping early

I had that problem and fixed it by taking a small piece of a scotch brite pad or fine sandpaper and cleaning the battery solder joints and the clips for the negative side. Haven't had a problem since. You can be amazed what a little cleaning will do.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by JDXray
Anyone having problems with there Smart Trays? Such as shorting or frying packs?

Jon
No problems other than making sure all the tabs are making good contact... not a big deal really
I dont see how it could hurt a pack... it can only malfunction in two ways.... wont discharge or takes the pack to the "Dead short" mode... neither should harm a pack.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

For all you on the fence on getting the Novak Smart Tray, do your self a favor and get it! It does anything you could want (only if we could adjust the discharge amp rate).
I have owned almost all the trays out there (Integy, Rayspeed, Trinity, etc.). I have settled on using the Smart tray and the Integy. I use the 20 amp Integy before I charge my packs and I use the Smart Tray to equalize the cells after I run them.
Great combination and great for your batteries!!
Old 01-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

I just ordered a Smart Tray from Tower.

Just some background, I have my packs in a shrink wrap from Parma just to keep them together easily and looking good. This won't work with the smart tray will it? The power won't go through the plastic will it?

I don't think it will... so, how should I hold my batteries together? Without anything holding them together it puts strain on the battery bars, and I just don't think it's good for them overall, even though I soldered them up good.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can use a hobby knife to cut a small hole in the shrink wrap where your batt. bars are soldered so that the tabs on the tray can make contact.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

What is the minimum DC input current required for the 12V input?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 03:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by bAsEmEnTLOSI
I just ordered a Smart Tray from Tower.

Just some background, I have my packs in a shrink wrap from Parma just to keep them together easily and looking good. This won't work with the smart tray will it? The power won't go through the plastic will it?

I don't think it will... so, how should I hold my batteries together? Without anything holding them together it puts strain on the battery bars, and I just don't think it's good for them overall, even though I soldered them up good.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
It should be here any day now! YAY!! I just have a few quick questions on actually how to get the best usage out of these.

My battery packs are not being used right now, so I charge them every few weeks to keep the charge in them, but I heard you should cycle them every month? So, what I was planning on doing was equalizing it, then charging, then maybe doing it again, or would once be enough? I just want to keep the charge in them until the season starts, but I don't want them to "die" in the meantime.

Last edited by bAsEmEnTLOSI; 01-07-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mine is for sale. Used about a month. Comes with both AC and DC cords. $65 shipped.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm no EE, but I was wondering. When I equalize my packs down to .9 (5.4v), I have the volt meter hooked up to each cell and I watch the numbers go back up to about 1.24v each. All my packs are Fusion 1.87+. Does this have something to do with battery memory or activity within the cells? I know some sponsored guys at the track who bring their cells down to .5. Is this good to do?

Last edited by kidDynomite; 01-07-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Hlding cells together

U can used the shrink wrap on bare cells first. I used a circle cutter to cut holes on the soldering points. In this way you can placed the solder tabs over the wrapping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.