R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   tweak vs ride height adjustements (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/37514-tweak-vs-ride-height-adjustements.html)

lee82gx 04-05-2004 07:20 PM

tweak vs ride height adjustements

Hello,
I have some questions regarding the tweak vs ride height.
1.Which do you set first?
2.Do you set for equal ride height left/right?I mean it's like NO static tweak.
3.If yes for no.2,then when u lift the car to see / adjust the tweak , wouldn't it already affect the balance L/R?

Is there something i'm missing here?

Tek Nickal 04-05-2004 07:22 PM

I would think to set all the preloads the same, check for tweak, then set ride height.

Speedie 04-05-2004 10:12 PM

I think ride height should be set first. Idealy if ride heights are perfect tweak will be also but we are not in a perfect world. I set ride height and then test it on the track first before I even check tweak. 99% of the time its perfect.

shortygy 04-05-2004 10:54 PM

I have always done it droop ride height then tweak.

new92 04-05-2004 10:56 PM

Originally posted by shortygy
I have always done it droop ride height then tweak.
Same way here. It may be wrong but it seems to work for me.

A-Ko 04-05-2004 11:31 PM

Usually you set droop, height then tweak in that order.

If you end up preloading one shock to get the right height or fighting a tweak, you might need to rebuild your shocks, assuming you checked the chassis for the tweak...

Bob The Builder 04-05-2004 11:49 PM

Try setting your ride height on an MIP tweak station.
Gives the best of both worlds.

Cole Trickle 04-06-2004 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Bob The Builder
Try setting your ride height on an MIP tweak station.
Gives the best of both worlds.

With a tweak station, you can actually risk that the car is tweaked in opposite corners, in a way so they equal each other on the tweak board.... So you wont see the tweak on the board !The knife method is better and cheaper ! Lift one end at the time with a knife and ensure that both wheels lift off at the same time. Best done with setup wheels.

Rick Worth 04-06-2004 04:03 AM

What if one of your shocks or mounts has some slop. When you lift it up one could lift a wheel off the ground before the other side and have nothing to do with tweak or your droop screws aren't set the same. Use a tweak board. You are checking for pressure on each wheel not lift.

lee82gx 04-06-2004 05:24 AM

ok,here's the problem I'm having(yokomo SD).
I set the ride height first.I make it equal 5mm left/rear and right/rear.then the left/front 4.5mm and right/front 4.5mm.

Right now,both the left sides of the shocks have more preload since the battery is on the left and it's heavier than the motor+ESC+receiver.

Droop has already been preset to 3mm via downstops even earlier.

Now if i lift up one end of the car,say rear-
i find that the car is a little tweak-1.5mm.This is mainly becos the left front spring has more preload(earlier mentioned),making the right rear wheel lower.

I can now reduce the preload in the left-front shock to set the tweak back.but this will result in a changed ride height in the front ,especially on the right side,correct?

That's my dillemma.

Speedie 04-06-2004 09:25 AM

Originally posted by lee82gx
Right now,both the left sides of the shocks have more preload since the battery is on the left and it's heavier than the motor+ESC+receiver.
I think the first thing you have to do is balance your chassis. Get scales or a scale and make sure it is balanced left to right. You wouldnt put a 10 pound weight on top of your foot and wonder why that foot seemed heavier would you. In full scale racing you would never even think about racing a car that you didnt set on scales.

I also think that a touring car cannot have the tweak set using the knife method. The wheels downtravel is limited by the droop screws or limiters. If either of these are uneven even a little it will affect tweak. I set droop last, and set it as downtravel, then I use a gague and make sure its even side to side.

popsracer 04-06-2004 11:21 AM

Chassis adjustments

Guys;

You MUST start with the Ride Height settings first. Then adjust Droop, then check and adjust Tweak.

If ride height is altered enough to matter after a Tweak adjustment. Just make an adjustment on the opposite side to keep the relationship of the Shocks the same.

When I am compensating for Tweak via the Shock Collars. If I need more than 1/2 turn difference on one side, then I go back to the Chassis and look for a problem there. If everything is straight and true the adjustment needed at the Shocks should be minimal.