Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on Reedy Quasar Pro charger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Opinions on Reedy Quasar Pro charger?

I'm currently working a deal with a tech user for a Reedy Quasar Pro charger. I've not investigated these chargers much, and I don't know anybody who owns one...so I was just wondering if anybody can offer any thoughts on the performance of this charger...good or bad, let's hear it.

Many thanks to anybody who can give me some info!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

i have had 2.

the first one was fine for about 7-8 weeks, then the mains circuit packed up, so it would only work on 12v (not go for when i want to cycle my batts during the week)

the 2nd one, the same happened but also both fans packed up so it would get fairly hot while being used on 12v.

i then moved to the novak millenium pro and i found it has been a very good charger, and still is. i can highly reccomend this charger.

my dad uses the pulsar comp and that is also a very good charger.

i am in need of a discharger so if anyone has got any suggestions for a good but not to expensive discharger then can you let me know please.

thanks and hope it helps cartmen
Old 04-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

hmm... that doesn't sound like a good review...2 out of 2 had trouble? hmm...

Anybody else?
Old 04-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

yep thats why when my lhs said they would replace it, i refused to.

and i got the millenium and the black box (power supply) for cheaper than the quaser.

someone i know at racing has also had the same problem, with the mains going dodgey, also their fans have packed in. they are on their 2nd charger also, it has lasted about 1 week so far

i can reccomend the millenium, pulsar comp or something like the eagle chargers.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I bought mine when they first came out 2 years ago. No problems other than the small voltage sensing wiring coming loose on the alligator clip, a quick fix with a soldering gun. I have heard other people have problems with theirs, but I don't know how well they took care of their equipment. AE is also recalling these chargers to replace the 7.5 amp fuse with a 10 amp fuse, which could be why people are having problems with the internal power supply.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

me and my dad were talking about these chargers.

and this what we thought.

we thought that reedy (or AE) had so many made in US witha good quality control. and these were superb chargers (the first ones that came out)

then when they became so popular reedy (or AE) got a taiwanese (spelling) company to get then made in mass production but these had a lower quality control. so when these were sold, they had worse electronics so there fore they broke easier.

as it seems to be the newier bought quasers that are packing up.

just my thoughts.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Ive had mine for over a year it works flawlessly. I did have to replace the fans tho also. The only thing I dont like about it is it only discharges at 20 amps and doesnt have a motor run in feature. But if your just looking for something to charge with it is first class all the way. It really takes good care of my cells well.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I had 2 they have gone to meet their maker some where up cml land after the second one packed up my lhs said they will replace it, I SAID NO, charging circuit packed up on both.
now got a CDC V6 a blinder if i may say so
Old 04-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

yep, but the thing is, CML have 1 guy where they send all faulty products that have been sent back.

this guy is to look over, test and fix all of these products whether they maybe chargers, motors, esc's etc etc.

but my lhs is a bit slack on sending things off and ordering things so i wonder how long my charger had sat in the back room before it even got sent off
Old 04-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

So by the sounds of things it would appear that I need to ask how old this charger is.... if it's been purchased new recently...then it COULD be trouble....otherwise it MIGHT be fine...

hmm I don't like those odds....darnnit, I hate backing out of a deal...
Old 04-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

yeah i know what you mean, i don't like backing out either.

but you can't risk buying a charger (especially as its 2nd hand, is it?)

if its been purchased by him since about november last year (thats when i got mine) then thats a big no no.

i am not sure how long before that the faulty batches started being shipped.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default quasar pro

i have one since they have been on the market and never had a problem with it!!!
Pete68
Old 04-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by raving-monkey
yeah i know what you mean, i don't like backing out either.

but you can't risk buying a charger (especially as its 2nd hand, is it?)

if its been purchased by him since about november last year (thats when i got mine) then thats a big no no.

i am not sure how long before that the faulty batches started being shipped.
Yeah... he indicated he bought it roughtly october of last year... that sounds pretty close to your timeframe.

Looks like I need to back out....aww crap for crap!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I had one that died the first time I used it. It lasted until the 3rd 6-cell pack before the LCD display packed it in leaving me at a race with no charger. I returned it to Associated who replaced it but not wanting to risk another failure I sold it still shrink wrapped.

My Integy 16x9 v5 has never once let me down or even false peaked. Strange, as they are both made by Eagle Racing.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SteveM
My Integy 16x9 v5 has never once let me down or even false peaked. Strange, as they are both made by Eagle Racing.
I'll second that, my 16x9 v5 has been awsome. Best investment I ever made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.