Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

In my area, two hobby shops race electric on road cars. Castle Hobbies is racing this Sunday and Sheldons Hobbies raced last Sat. We had 10 cars at Sheldons and should hopefully have 15 or so at Castle. The class has been getting so much more attention that Castle is now carrying Cross, Tamiya and Corally F1 cars. Sweet for me! Let's keep it up, Bay Area racers!
Old 11-07-2001, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Bsr rubbers on a super f1, I was told that they won't work on carpet and that I should get foams, do the mounted bsr and jaco foams come trued to roar specs? Anybody here who races a super F1? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Psycho... whomever...

We are looking at putting together a local F1 points series in SoFla... We have a good idea on rule and regs, but I would like some input from fellow F1 racers. I got my base regs from www.formula1-rc.com... they did a good job and were pretty comprehensive. We are going to be running rubber only with a black can motor... any batteries. The circuit will consist of diffrent types of racing, from BIG wide open road course to oval, to short tight road course. BTW.. we will also be running some 40 minute enduro's....

Please all chime in, Looking for any other suggestions.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here at Formula 1 RC we only allow up to 1700 sport packs. We're considering allowing 2000 sport packs but the main reason for starting out with only the 1700 packs was the prices. We wanted to allow new comers the chance to have competitive batteries as everyone else with out spending big money on them.

Another reason is that we run 35 minutes heats. Using 1700's it guarantees that everyone makes at least 1-2 pit stops. We're considering 2000's for next season becuase our track has become larger and faster and we'd like to have more options on the pit stops.

Other than that, most of the rules we have in the regs aren't used that regularly.....most were made out of necessity when we had a lot of people showing up to the races creating all kinds of situations that we hadn't thought of before. So, you may need to add things as you go. We usually don't even need to address any of the rules we have though.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

A note on the rubber tires: we all used to use rubber capped foams becuase they were faster than the rubber tires and regular foams weren't an option on our track. We made the switch to Rubber only 2 seasons ago becuase caps were hard to come by and not everyone was using them so this created a big disparity in the competition.

Once we made the switch to all rubber the competition instantly became awsome! We were having drivers stay on the lead lap for a 35 minute race....over 100 laps....it is truely like real F1. The races come down to more of how you drive than what tires you are running.
Old 11-11-2001, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

yeah Nige...
We thought rubber, becuase there are not that many different compounds... and we all run rubber here anyhow.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Guys, here's my opinion on an F1 class. At Castle, in the Bay Area, the class is basically open with exception of motor. You must run a 24 degree ROAR motor. Anything else goes. What these rules do to the class here is to make it more apealing to a lot more people. If you want to buy a Tamiya or Cross car and race on a budget, you can compete. If you want to spend major coin and buy a Corally car, you can. If you want to scratch build a car or put together a hybrid car, you can. Many racers here have modified Associated 10L's and you can't get rubber tires for that. Same is true of the HPI car, which a lot of people bought recently when HPI closed them out. Plus, if you force them to buy black can motors or some spec motor, chances are, they will only use it for F1 and it may be something people don't want to do because it is extra cost. If you are already racing stock sedan, you probably have more than one stock motor, so you can buy an F1 car and use an existing motor. No need for additional cost.

I agree that it's cool and a lot of fun to have a spec class with as level a playing field as possible, but when you're trying to draw in new people, it is my opinion that you have to appeal to them by putting together a class that looks like it would be fun to race in, make the cars fast so it doesn't look boring and have good parts availability. Spooky, you are fortunate that you have a strong Tamiya supporter in Les and MDI, so that makes things easier.

I would suggest that you open it up, to start with and change the rules after the first season based on feedback. If it's got to be a spec motor, pick something that guys will use in their sedans too, like a P2K, Reedy MVP, Green Machine, etc.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:13 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I wish I had F1 race in my area...
Old 11-12-2001, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Hmmm... looks like he's overgeared to me

Old 11-12-2001, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Man you guys must have some awesome grip where your racing your Corrally cars. I have both a Tamiya and a Corrally F1 and my Corrally just has too much push and I'm running the same tire compound front and back. Using the stock fiberglass leaf spring and have been looking for a softer one to get more front grip. But it's all moot now as our racing rules have gone to standard F1 sized rims/tires only now and not allowing the 1/10th pan car rim as it ruins the scale appearance of the cars. Plus I'm missing a few of the plastic C-clips and need to replace the rear bearings and damper boots. So the car has been shelved for a few years. Would love to get it running again though now that we have new asphalt and I think foams will hook up...something to try anyway.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

InspGadgt

The guys running cars that us AE type wheels run Jaco green or pink in the rear and purple up front. The track we run on is recently resurfaced asphalt that has been blown off and sprayed with VHT traction compound, so we have pretty nutty traction online!
Old 11-13-2001, 10:46 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Psycho: maybe hes overgeared just a little!
Old 11-13-2001, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Hey insp, glad to see that u posted here man. Hope u get back into the electric F1 scene.

YAHOO 200 post baby!
Old 11-13-2001, 05:28 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That's a Corally rear end??
Old 11-15-2001, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Does anyone know how the Cross F1 cars are?? I've seen posting saying that the cars are on rails, but how are they overall (durability, setting-up)?? I plan on getting one in a few weeks and kinda wanna know something about it

Any decent hop-ups for the Cross cars can anyone recommend??

Thanks all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.