Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 12:00 PM
Regional Moderator

Darkseid - I hear what your saying about the new F-1 but you have to admit that anyone who drives the RS or the RX becomes better drivers in all classes. The current F-1 makes you learn how to drive it or it will drive you.

The chassis looks good and heavy, I can't wait to see one on the track.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mike F: I hear ya, I hear ya. But, some people seemed to be confused over why Tamiya would do this whole 4wd F1 thing. SO I just wanted to offer up a possible reason.

Learning to drive any 2wd pan car, F1 cars included, makes people better drivers. But, hard to drive cars don't make for good sales or popular classes. Thus, the disappearance of the Pro10, 1/12, and F1 classes at most tracks. For those people who enjoy learning to drive these types of cars through practice, then they feel things shouldn't change. But for the companies' who are trying to sell kits, cars with a harsh learning curve aren't the best money makers.

I cant wait to see how the two do agaist each other on the track. I believe that the lighter weight of the 2wd car(in the hands of a good driver) will equalize things with the 4wd car more than people think.

But, who knows..........we'll just have to wait and see.

In any case, thats certainly a sweet body their including with it. (spoken like a true M. Schumacher and Ferrari fan!)
Old 02-01-2002, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

I guess you are right about the easier to drive issue. Most people would also think that a 4wd machine would definitely offer better performance. From a marketing standpoint they are right on. I can hear people at my local shop saying things like " Its cool!,Its 4WD!, Its a must have!" 4WD had become the norm nowadays. The few people who ever get a chance to drive a well setup 2wd direct drive car find that they are faster, can handle very well, have longer run times and have realistic racing lines. Which means they like to take lines similar to real race cars unlike 4wd TCs where you would actually be slower if you drive that way. This is why 1/12 and f-1 racers thinks their class is more fun. By going 4wd i guess Tamiya is going to gain wider appeal but also losing part of f-1 market.

Same here. Just cant wait to see how they compete. Place your bets gentlemen!
Old 02-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Regional Moderator

Place our bets huh? ........I would place my bet that the F10X series cars will easily out pace the 4wd version. Its just simple logic. Lighter car with less drag in the drive train vs. heavier car with more drag in the drive train.

But, if you put each car in the hands of a new comer to the class, the F201 will be faster and more likely to hook the driver on the class. This is what Tamiya is counting on.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

I hope the new car generates more interest in the class. I agree with Darkseid's assessment of the performance differences. In my area, there is a fairly stable F1 class and the number of entries is slowly growing. If the F201 helps to continue this trend, it will be a huge success. I will buy one and see how it goes on the track, but I'm pretty confident that it won't compete against my Tamiya or Cross cars, though. I hope Tamiya USA startes hyping it in magazines as much as they have the Tiger tanks. If they do that, I think we'll see plenty of red Ferrari's on the track. If we have a bit more drama in the real series this year, it will probably help the class as well. Schumacher reports good sucess with the Fireforce since the started importing Cross, so maybe the market is right for an F1 comeback.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:08 AM
Regional Moderator

Darkseid - I definately agree that it's a great business decision and Tamiya is good about setting trends with a sucessful product. They will have to improve on the weight issue of that new F201, from the pictures it looks PORKY. accessibility to the motor wont be easy either, from the looks of the pictures that is. I'm sure that will be corrected when they come out with a TRF version. Your Spur gear option will be very limited

Do you think they will allow the 4WD in a TCS race against the 2 WD kits or will they create a new class for this?
Old 02-04-2002, 12:03 PM
Regional Moderator

I doubt they would let them compete head to head. Those guys in the TCS races are so good with their F10X series cars, that even a good driver would get murdered on the track agaist them if he/she tries to run the F201.

The pictures I have seen(basically all those availible) haven't shown a really good veiw of how the motor is mounted yet, so I don't know if its hard to remove or not. But, your right, there wont be many spur option I would guess.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:09 PM
Regional Moderator

I hear you, I know Russell is always placing with his, if he's still running that is. This year will be my first try at F-1 in a TCS race, whew. Silver can in F-1 right?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:51 AM
Regional Moderator

Yeah, they run the silver can in the F1 TCS. Heck really don't need much more than that.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:05 AM
Regional Moderator

You do if you want to keep with the guys on my track, they are running MVP's. P2K's and any other 27T motor.

if I can only get my hands on one of those nicely tweaked 540 motors
Old 02-05-2002, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

my crc arrived at my house yesterday and it looks very nice. the car came with two sets of greens for the rear and a set of blues and set of greens for the front. i should be racing it for the first time on friday and i will try the blues and greens first. the cars rear shock came brocken so i am thinking of getting one of the tamiya f1 shocks. what oil and spring can you reccomend, a rough idea is all i need. also what kind of gear ratio should i be using with a p2k on a medium sized fairly tight track.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:56 AM
Regional Moderator

Mike F: I like that Avatar you got there!
Old 02-06-2002, 07:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Thanks DarkSeid - F201

know if I can only get my hands on one of those nicley tuned 540 motors. Anyone know where I can get one from Or how to tune a 540 motor to get more speed?
Old 02-06-2002, 07:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Mike F: do you know if Tamiya still makes those TRF tuned black can 540 motors for the F1 cars. If they do, that might just be what your looking for.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:52 AM
Regional Moderator

Hey DarkSeid,

That motor actually came with my F103LM kit but that's not what Tamiya runs in F-1 class, they run the silver can 540 correct? I know that those silver can motors can be tuned, tweaked or whatever these guys are doing to make more HP but I don't know how they are doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.