Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

LowBucks

Try Castle Hobbies for the Cross tires. They have them in stock and they are the complete set of rims, inserts and tires. www.castlehobbies.com

I don't think they make grooved tires, though. You may be confusing them with Ride, which does make grooved tires. They work well and look very authentic. They even say Potenza on the side. Castle also carries Ride tires, but they are out at the moment. I would also suggest trying www.formula1-rc.com and www.mdiracing.com Both can get this stuff for you if they don't have them in stock.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Cross or Ride

Thanks for the clear up on the tires Psycho. Me and Mike F will racing against other F1's using foam tires. The track is a parking lot with no traction compound, just what you put on your own tire. While rubber tire do you think would work, Cross or Ride? Right now we are using Tamiya B's and they work fine. The other guys are also using 27 turn stock motor and we are using RS 540's.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

LowBucks

Try running purples up front and greys in the back. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well they work on asphalt! You'll need a tire truer, though.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Psycho, Purples up front and grey in the back. Are those the comb for form or rubber? If rubbers by who Cross or Ride? Me and Mike F are going to try running Tamiya legal. So we will try to stay with a rubber set-up. Tamiya rubber for the Tamiya races and any rubbers for the lhs race.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

OK, now I'm confused. You said that you are planning on running foams and you're talking about Cross and Ride tires. If you are trying to be TCS legal, you can't do any of this. Here's the link to the TCS rules http://www.tamiyausa.com/events/tcs/rules.html

In the club venues that I race in, basically, anything goes except you must run a ROAR stock motor. There is one track where traction is very inconsistant, as they only spray with soda and shade moves around the track as the day goes on. This is the only track that I run rubber tires on, due to the wide variation in track conditions. The ride, type A grooved tires work the best for me at this track. I do plan to race at TCS this year, so I guess I'll have to get used to Tamiya tires at some point!
Old 01-30-2002, 10:51 AM
Regional Moderator

Default F-1 Tires

Hey Psycho - this is the other half of TeamLowBucks.

I want to keep my car ready for TCS racing so I'll be using the Tamiya Tires, the A's came with the F103 LM kit and I want to run those so that I can get a feel for the car, since this will be the very first season that I race F-1's. I believe that Lowbucks Racing meant to say Rubber tires, not Foam tires in the beginning of his sentence because he goes on to say we are going to run rubber tires. I will be trying those Ride tires however when they become available, I'm on MDI's emailing list.

My biggest thing is, I don't understand why Rubber tires wont work on all surfaces with the F-1's. You have more covered then you would with regular 24-26 mm rubber tires so you would think that the car will be on rails and hugging the track like a crackhead does a pipe. The foams need to be prep with some traction compound, I'm sure the rubber can use this as well but I really don't get the whole foams instead of Rubber deal, especially in F-1.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Mike,

For me the B's seem to be the ticket, no matter what temp it is out. The tires seem to work in most areas, and probably are the best "All around" tire. Some people tune with the A's for more or less steering.

But that is just my observation.

You may want to look on the forums @ formula1-rc.com they also have a bunch of info
Old 01-30-2002, 01:50 PM
Regional Moderator

I heard that the B were the ticket, especially for warm to hot weather.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

I would suggest that you get the front spring set and mount up a set of both compounds of tire. I know it costs a few bucks to have two sets of tires, but you can experiment and find the best setup for your track. MDI can order all of this for you. The silver spring is the lightest, gold is medium and black is hardest. You should also have a couple extra sets of front kingpins so you can replace them when the suspension travel starts to feel rough. You'll go through kingpins pretty fast racing on asphalt. The kingpin set also comes with springs. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ausracer
i am very new to rc f1's but the cars that i have seen have been the tamiya
hpi
cross
corally
crc(discontinued)
and a few less popular others plus converted pan cars. where i live the most popular car would have to be either the corally or the tamiya. for parts mdi racing seems to have lots of different chassis and bodys.
Hey do you run at castle hill? Just wondering. http://users.bigpond.net.au/raceway/
Old 01-31-2002, 02:36 AM
Tech Regular

yes i have been there twice. i used to race at hurstville but i stoped racing a little before it closed so now i just started again
Old 01-31-2002, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

Cool I was just wondering, since from the pics it looks like a really nice track and I saw that they run f1. Thanks for indulging my curiosity. Happy racing
Old 01-31-2002, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Did you guys hear about the new tamiya F-1 car? There's a post about it on rcca.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Booo 4wd on F1

Originally posted by drummer5
Did you guys hear about the new tamiya F-1 car? There's a post about it on rcca.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:45 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't see what everyone's problem is with the 4wd F1. Look at it from Tamiya's standpoint.

Why are TCs so popular? Because they are so easy to drive and even a novice can get around the track reasonably well. Why are they so easy to drive? Because they are 4wd!

So Tamiya figures that if they make a easy to drive F1, it might sell as well as todays TCs do. Its simple business smarts. Tamiya hasn't been around so long by being stupid.

Personally, I think its a good idea. I liked the Kyosho FTen nitro powered F1 cars. It handled well. Why? Yep you guessed it, 4WD!

Bring on the F201! I'll probably keep my current Tamiya F103RS F1, but if the F201 vastly out handles it, the old F1 will be collecting dust!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.