Wiki Posts
Search

Gluing Graphite Chassis Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default Gluing Graphite Chassis Question

I have an HPI Sprint 2 and I am about get a Cyclone TC for drifting. I wanted to know why in the instructions it says to glue all the egdes of the all the Graphite parts. I have a full graphite setup on my HPI Sprint 2 and I have had no problems without gluing it.

What's the deal?

If I do have to glue it can I use shoe glue or something easy? CA glue... I'm bound to get it on the chassis. Sanding is not my thing. Is it really necessary?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DriftWoof
I have an HPI Sprint 2 and I am about get a Cyclone TC for drifting. I wanted to know why in the instructions it says to glue all the egdes of the all the Graphite parts. I have a full graphite setup on my HPI Sprint 2 and I have had no problems without gluing it.

What's the deal?

If I do have to glue it can I use shoe glue or something easy? CA glue... I'm bound to get it on the chassis. Sanding is not my thing. Is it really necessary?
The reason they suggest gluing the edges of the chassis is to stop any risk of splintering. I have done mine for peace of mind.

The easiest way is to use a cotton bud (the ones on sticks) and apply a small amount of CA glue to the cotton bud, using a rolling motion as you move around the edge of the chassis.

The key is to take your time don't rush it!

If you go to organised events, any pro at a race meeting would be able to tell you how to do it if you ask the right one if my reply isn't descriptive enough
Old 02-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Champion

ca glue help to prevent graphite chassis's edges from splitting or tearing. One reason, it protects your fingers from getting pierce by woven glass fibres in the graphite chassis.

use low setting ca glue and toothpick to spread out the glue evenly. one layer is enough. two layers for geeks.

Sanding is optional ( I don't do it ).

However, If you hit something very hard, the graphite chassis will crack regardless with ca glue or without ca glue.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

My chassis has been in some crashes, never splintered or flaked. Just scratched.

Has it happened to anyone?

I might do without it if I get the TC kit.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DriftWoof
My chassis has been in some crashes, never splintered or flaked. Just scratched.

Has it happened to anyone?

I might do without it if I get the TC kit.
i highly reccomend to do it. like ASW said it really does help the chassis from splintering in big crashes and YES i have a few chassis in my time, just noticed my 009 chassis is split on the side.