COLT Gearing

Old 04-04-2004, 04:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default COLT Gearing

Does anyone know how to fit a smaller (than standard) pinion gear on the COLT cars without the belt rubbing on the motor, the smallest i can go is 26 tooth, (which is standard)????????????
Old 04-04-2004, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

How does fitting a smaller a pinion cause the belt to rub whatever..........?
Old 04-04-2004, 04:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default COLT gearing

The belt set up as you may know is similar to that of Tamiya's TRF and when the smaller pinion is put on the motor has to be moved up towards the belt and the bottom of the belt rubbs...
Old 04-04-2004, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: COLT gearing

Originally posted by The_Gaz
The belt set up as you may know is similar to that of Tamiya's TRF and when the smaller pinion is put on the motor has to be moved up towards the belt and the bottom of the belt rubbs...
Originally posted by The_Gaz
Does anyone know how to fit a smaller (than standard) pinion gear on the COLT cars without the belt rubbing on the motor, the smallest i can go is 26 tooth, (which is standard)????????????
GAZ, C'mon, no matter how you add a pinion on a fixed belt drive train isn't gonna changed the belts locations. What I see after reading this post is a adjustable/moveable drivetrain system.?.?
Old 04-04-2004, 04:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Colt Gearing

the drive train is solid, the spur gear is stationary and fine, the motor bolts to the anodised plate and is adjusted to mesh with the spur gear by moving the motor up and down this plate, the belts that drives the front diff runs directly above the motor, and when a pinion gear smaller than a 26 is put on the motor the motor has to be moved up to mesh with the spur gear, this causes the front drive belt to rub on the motor can
Old 04-04-2004, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

I see, the belt is rubbing the motor, I would put the biggest spur on to try eliminate this. If you cannot do anything to avoid this then you are gonna have to run th biggest spur you can which will probally be suited for a stock motor. That or lower the drivetrain.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Colt Gearing

The biggest spur gear i can get is on it its a 90 tooth, i will have to try and find a hop up or modified part that can fix this, thanks for your help and time,

if anyone else knows about or has this problem i would like to hear from you...
Old 04-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

garth, might be a dumb question but your using 48 pitch pinions yeah ? would a 64 be slightly bigger in size ? just a thaught ?