R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Black diamond setups (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/372744-black-diamond-setups.html)

P.I.M.P 02-20-2010 09:58 PM

Black diamond setups

Hi guys it looks like the black diamond is getting around now so it's time to post some set ups?.anyone going to start!

Me_MrTyson 02-21-2010 03:51 AM

Just purchased my BD should arrive before my next race.

Found a little info about setup

Profile 5, brake 2 and 0 timing on motor

rollout between 62-67 depending on the track

another bit of info. They plan to be able to upgrade / setup BD via Sesor port the main reason for my purchase

Alex

P.I.M.P 02-21-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson (Post 7034561)
Just purchased my BD should arrive before my next race.

Found a little info about setup

Profile 5, brake 2 and 0 timing on motor

rollout between 62-67 depending on the track

another bit of info. They plan to be able to upgrade / setup BD via Sesor port the main reason for my purchase

Alex

that's good to hear that you can up grade the bd as it's big bucks for a speedy that can't be upgraded at this point.had a run with it today with 10.5 feels great very fast much better then the tekin.but not sure weather it's worth the extra money at this point

captain stacker 02-22-2010 03:09 AM

better than 203?

how so?

vafactor 02-22-2010 03:56 AM

the beauty of the black diamond is the simplicity. It requires none ot that eternal messing around with the hotwire and the various new profiles etc like is necessary with the tekins. with the BD, just choose profile 5, gear appropriately, and let it rip. No hotwire, no laptop, no fuss, no muss. Just serious rip. When you think of it that way (and the support equipment that's not necessary), that does ease the pain of the purchase price some.

captain stacker 02-22-2010 04:06 AM

well in effect, its like another spx with simple adjustments.

but how was this speedy so much better than the spx? or tekin for that fact

Fred Hubbard 02-22-2010 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by vafactor (Post 7038716)
the beauty of the black diamond is the simplicity. It requires none ot that eternal messing around with the hotwire and the various new profiles etc like is necessary with the tekins. with the BD, just choose profile 5, gear appropriately, and let it rip. No hotwire, no laptop, no fuss, no muss. Just serious rip. When you think of it that way (and the support equipment that's not necessary), that does ease the pain of the purchase price some.

I hear you on simplicity, but there's one problem...in this case simplicity doesn't mean equaility!!!

Toblerone 02-22-2010 07:15 AM

According to the UK distributor, the BD will be

"be firmware upgradeable/configurable through the sensor port and AE will be releasing a connection cable and PC software kit.
:nod:

tdt1805 02-22-2010 08:08 AM

The bd might be simple but yet I can buy 2 tekins for the price of yours and be able to change all the settings and in turn blow by you down the straight and threw the inside

TimPotter 02-22-2010 08:26 AM

Maybe you should post a setup for getting a home equity line of credit. Pretty much need one to afford the speedo...

Marcos.J 02-22-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by TimPotter (Post 7039646)
Maybe you should post a setup for getting a home equity line of credit. Pretty much need one to afford the speedo...

:lol: That was too funny.

Yes simple speedo but way out of my price range.

rmdhawaii 02-22-2010 10:38 AM

The problem I have with a BD is not so much the price as it is the lack of information. Official Web site? PDF manual? Where is the company/sponsored driver representation in the forum?

And then there is this "upgradable firmware/configuration" thing. Once you put people on different tracks under different conditions, it just seems inevitable that you're going to need some mobile computing device - and you're going to have to deal with some type of user interface. Perhaps this initial simplicity is just a temporary thing.

It remains to be seen if the BD is going to be "the" speedo to run. If you understand how the Tekin works (and how they've been doing their "upgrades"), then it's just a matter of time before Tekin optimizes their firmware in light of the BD.

Tekin has a pretty cool trick up their sleeve with upgradable firmware and the concept has proven to work quite well - even with some of the interface/interfacing issues. It won't be long before all the manufacturers do this as well. If and when that happens, what will be the differentiating factor?

My question for you smart peope out there is, what makes the BD "better"? Is it the hardware or the firmware? If it's just the firmware, then it may not be worth the difference in price until you see what their configuration software looks like and what tuning options are available.

mikky32 02-22-2010 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 (Post 7039145)
i also hear that the Black Diamond wont be approved by EFRA or ROAR

What about this?
As this is true, you have a speedo that is not allowed ad all the clubs and races that follow those rules.

rmdhawaii 02-22-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mikky32 (Post 7040256)
What about this?
As this is true, you have a speedo that is not allowed ad all the clubs and races that follow those rules.

I understand why some clubs had/have an issue with the speedo.

I would like to see EFRA's and ROAR's official position in writing. :nod:

mikky32 02-22-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii (Post 7040287)
I understand why some clubs had/have an issue with the speedo.

I would like to see EFRA's and ROAR's official position in writing. :nod:

Me to.
I think that I mail the EFRA about it.