Motor brush hood alignment tools etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor brush hood alignment tools etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Default Motor brush hood alignment tools etc.

I am tired of my motors not performing like it should. When i put brand new brushes in my Stock/19turn motors the burshes isnt touching the comm on one side. I am Looking into buying the Brush Hood alignment set, and the bushing reamer, and anything else that will make my motors work better. Does anyone know a place on-line that i can buy these items using PayPal? I tried searching on Ebay for it and found the brush hood alignment, the reamer i could not find. It would be a whole lot easier if I can buy it all in one place. Hope Someone can help me out here.
I am open to any tips.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Actually you dont need either of these. Brush hood alignement tools arent very acurate. Brush hoods are better aligned by eye. Look down the sides of the hood and compare each side until they are even on both sides. You can see the com sticking past both sides. You can get them perfect doing it this way and if they are off a little, they are never much if at all. Just adjust them by the look of the brushes. The reamer also is not a good idea it will just create slop in the bushings. Get some valve lapping compuond or some brass polish and put it in the bushings and spin with a drill or a dremel. Your bushings and the shaft will be mirror smooth. Just make sure you clean them out good after polishing.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I use the trinity brush hood aligner, works on reedy and epic hoods, really nice tool and takes much less time and more accurate they eyeballing things.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You ahve to do it by eye and rarely will they EVER be aligned straight across from each other....

The best bar out there is the Big Jim Bar..... you can get it at www.bigjimracing.com . Its not cheap, but it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Later EddieO
Old 03-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

what's so special about the Big Jim bar? $40 for a metal bar?!
Old 03-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by over gear
what's so special about the Big Jim bar? $40 for a metal bar?!
exact;y, i was on the website and $40 for a piece of bar is way too expensive...IMO
Old 03-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Its custom machined stainless steel and comes with a bearing alignment rod also. Take a look at the picture....its not just a piece of metal stock....

Most of the tools like it out there are mass produced with not the best tolerances. I've tried bars from alot of others and they either bend or don't work very well.

Not to mention if it does ever bend, you get a new one..........try getting trinity or whoever to do that....

Later EddieO
Old 03-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, the Big Jim bar rules. I usually used the bar to get the hoods straight across from each other. Then put the brushes in and ran for like 40 sec on 4 volts. After that take the brushes out and check to see fi the wear mark on the brush is perfectly down the center. If it is not, just tweak the hood ever so slightly in the correct direction untill the brushes have a wear mark right down the center. On the Reedy Kr and Quad magnet 19T just runt he bar through and tighten the hoods. Wheat that will do is sort of decrease the timing a bit and give a better overall power band. If you do everything correctly, there are soem MAJOR benefits. Hope this helps ya out.

-Sushi Boy
Old 03-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

there a place buy it through paypal?
Old 03-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, Big Jim takes Pay pal. Just ask in his forum or go to his web page.

He also has the drawing for a machine shop to make it.

David Root (I had mine made by a friend)
Old 03-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Email jim, he will give you his paypal info.....he hand polishes these for you too....they have the BLING BLING!

Later EddieO
Old 03-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

I use the Niftech Tool. No complaints so far...

http://www.balakracing.com/niftechbrushhoodtools.htm

Bryan
Old 03-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Those align the brush hoods directly across from each other......hardly what you would want. Brushes cock in the hood with a load on them and when you align, you must take this into account when aligning the hoods. Of the 100s of motors I have tuned, I think maybe 10 times or so have straight across alignment was the optimal setting.

Later EddieO
Old 03-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

We have a nice bar also, at least I think so. The picture is actually of the prototype piece. I thought I had another picture of the current one but I can't find it. Anyway, it doesn't have the bling factor of some of the others out there but it getst the job done. The dimensions are the same as the more expensive ones plus/minus the tolerances. We also stand behind the piece that slides through the brush hoods, if you bend it send it to me and I will exchange it no questions asked. Yes we do take Paypal.

Kraig
KT Hobbies

Old 03-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

And what about the reamer? Pleeze...

Last edited by JRX-S Bill; 03-29-2004 at 10:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.