Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Mr-4TC&TAO2 too old to stay competitive? >

Mr-4TC&TAO2 too old to stay competitive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mr-4TC&TAO2 too old to stay competitive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mr-4TC&TAO2 too old to stay competitive?

Hello everyone. First i'd like to say if this is in the wrong topic then please Mr.Admin move it to the proper one. Thanxs!

Ok now my question its been roughly two year since i have been racing. I currently own a few kits the on-road ones are a TAO2 FF(Honda Castrol Vti kit) and 1st generation MR-4TC kit as well as a Tamiya pan car (Porsche). Well when i was racing i was decent, not great but held my own. I stopped racing due to money problems when i was jobless. During my racing days all 3 kits got the general hops up (better shocks, frp chassis or penguin CF, better spur&pinion gears, tires, etc...), and of course the many bodies i bought those were the best! I so enjoyed that part of the hobby. Well now things have gotten way better, and i want to start racing again. But a local visit to some hobby shops, proves to me or give the impression that alot has changed in 2 years. When i talk to the people there and tell them what i drive, i get the common response "those kits are too old to stay competitive." Their arguement is that with the new technology and ideas that companies came out with, my old kits wont be able to put together a final drive that can keep up with the new kits. Even my YOk which i think is pretty fast get trashed on. At first i started to think they were just trying to squeeze out of me to buy a new kit. Well i left a bit pissed and now i want to prove them wrong. Well there are a few tracks around me 3 of which are your typically parkin lot racing and a new one that is carpet. But i do have to ask,"Can it be true about my cars being too old to keep up?!" "does a person have to buy a new kit every 2 years to stay competitive???!"So im asking you my fellow techs for your opinion, not bashing but opinion. And i want to thank you ahead of time.

Also regarding the YOk i see the new MR-4 SD kits out can my kit be converted into this shaft driven kit? Also there are plenty of other new "special" yok kits which interest me again can my original kit be converted? Thanxs for any advice, and support.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

There's so much hype in this hobby.... Stay cool

What answres did you expect to get in a hobby shop? All though they get more loyal customers by giving a good service, they also have to sell for living.

I'm racing the discontinued belt driven HPI Pro2, and I beat Yok SD's, TC3's and Tamiya EvoIII's.

It's more the driver than the car. I'm not trying to say I'm the best driver in the world (there's also guys who beats me )

So stay cool, and make up your mind. That Yoke of yours can be very, very competitive. And it's more durable than the Yoke SD.

If you want to try something new and you get attracted about one of the newer cars, then go for it. But I'll bet you can take your Yoke a long, long way.

However, it might be an issue to get hop-ops and spare parts. You have to check that out first.

I dont know your other equipment, but it might be way better to do some investement here, instead of in a new chassis.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Your Yoke should still be competitive if it's in good condition.

There's no way of converting it to SD spec - and uprating to "Special" spec seems a bit pointless - why upgrade an old car to another old car? May as well save for a new one.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok thanxs for responding. Im gonna concerate on th Yok. Feeling that i can make her a dominating car once again! I dont think finding parts should be to hard?? I found several set ups im gonna try. Anyways thanxs again!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Good luck with your late model rcs... There's a guy at my track that runs a MR-4tc... He is a great driver and makes that old yoke very competitive...
But lately I have been noticing that the real competition is not on the track but off it... who has the latest kit, who has the most expensive car... (I got my TC4 1 year early!) bla bla... IMO the bottom line rests with the driver and his/her ability to get around the track fast.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:35 AM
Tech Elite

Around here, the hi tech competition varies a lot from club to club. At some clubs, you're almost not accepted, if you aint got the right equipment. Where I race, we do discuss all those gadgets and enjoy getting some of them. But we are very casual - a good laugh counts more, than the latest hi tech gear.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Run your Mr4-tc, just buy lots of spares. You can be competative with older cars, I'm running a C4 that's close to 4 years old and it's very quick. TC3, xxx-s, xray, sd, I've run against them and have no problem keeping up and beating them on carpet now and then. Just spend all your time on setup and practicing on the track, after your running fast and consistent lines then buy power.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The Yokomo is a great car,I wish I had not sold mine.I got cought up in the hype and bought a new TC sold all my MR4's(3) and all the spare parts(about $600 worth of parts)to get a car that took me a while to get to go as fast as I was with my old yok.. but I do like the new cars.. you can still find a few hop up's for it,like the ssg chassis and special parts for it.I would race it and see how you do with.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

What hop ups do you have on your TA02?

When i used to run one, I had the special HPI chassis that had the inline battery pack. That really made a big difference in the handling of the vehicle. If I had one, I probably wouldn't mind tinkering with it for stock.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Mr4TC could still be competetive depending on your driving skills. For me I still love my Mr4TC!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Keep running your Yoke. That car is very competitive in the right hands. Get alot of track time and work on set-up.

Those are the keys to being successful.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey boys just wanted to make a short comment that there are two guys at out track one runs a HPI RS4 PRO 2 adn the other guy runs a YOKOMO MR4TC WORLDS wide chassis and they both keep up and sometimes out run most of our losi's TC3's and Xrays just thought i would give credit to 2 old cars that are still competeting
Old 04-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

TA02 = Too old, IMO

MR4-TC = Still a great car. I'm a big fan of it, my dad has one and I'm on the verge of possibly getting a Worlds kit. It was a car truly a few years ahead of its time. If you look at the new Shumacher car and the 415 they both look very similar to the MR4TC except they have the CF chassis
Old 04-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

There isn't much difference. I have the MR4TC Worlds and the new SD CGM (Graphite tub chasis). I'll admit it, I 'm one of the guy that has to have everything, bu to be honest, its really about driving and unless you're pro and compete at that level, the differences aren't going to make or break a race. When's the last time we had a race with out some bashing, bumping, race with no mistakes. A crash will set you back at least 4 seconds depending o nthe turnmarshalls. That's more time than the difference in cars.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go with the Yokomo, you'll have some pretty awful torque steer with that TA02 because it has that side shaft drive (what on earth was Tamiya thinking?).