Originally Posted by snakemau
Ok so I was set on buying a TOP Photon chassis for my VTA, but then I was reading in the forums here that there are some issues with parts breaking. Someone else told me about the XRAY T2R Pro as a very good option (and cheaper $$) than the Photon. So has anyone here used both setups for USVTA racing? do you have some comparison points? I know some people post crap just cause they don't like the design, so I'm looking for sincere answers from racers that have tried them both. Which one is better chassis for USVTA racing?
Hi snakemau, first off even though I race for TOP, work for TOP, and part owner of TOP USA you won't go wrong with either car. The Photon did have some issues with the first batch but we have fixed the issues since then.
1) spool and spool out drives too soft - we fixed this by going to a harder material for the spool. The kits now come standard with the harder spool and steel outdrives. Aluminum outdrives are offered as optional. For a limited time we gave a free spool and outdrives to everyone that purchased the first batch of kits.
2) rear blades - rear blades would break because the universals were too long if you ran the rear narrow. We've made them shorter (44.5mm) and these now come standard with the Kit.
3) soft top deck screws - We've made them harder and also offer optional top deck screws that use a 2mm wrench instead of 1.5. If you choose this kit I recommend you get this option.
4) overall soft hardware - We've changed our screw supplier and now have ones that are much stronger then the original.
5) bell crank - if you use a servo saver this is almost never an issue. I crash a lot..... a lot and have never broken one when using a servo saver.
The arms are extremely beefy. The caster blocks and rear hubs are also really good.
Like I said you won't go wrong with either car. But I hope you choose TOP.