R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
Tech Elite

There was someone who explained in a very professional albeit totally inaccesible manner (for the ignorant folk like me) how things need to be done so Hotwire runs on 64 bit. The post is still there if anyone wants to read it, I don't know how to find it, but I read it very carefully at the time even though I didn't understand one dang thing. A few other more knowledgeable forum members agreed that it would work. That was when Hotwire didn't run on 64 bit. Soon after that post appeared in the Tekin thread, Hotwire became available for 64 bit.

Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable people here can help Tekin team write hotwire so it runs on all platforms. We all will be forever grateful. Or at least I am going to be.

With Macs the problem is simple as far as I understand it. Install any form of Win emulator and it will run (or dual boot thingie).

Problem is, my Mac is not intel based, so I can't do that (and of course, I would rather not risk breaking it or worse, having it stolen with my work and everything on it).

I ended up buying a very cheap (it was less than half price on clearance in a local shop) EeePC which is a nice little machine, but I am having trouble trying to install and configure Wine (a sort of windows emulator). I am very ignorant in matters of computers, so I need someone very patient to help me if they can.

Wiping off Linux and installing Windows XP is the last resort option, still on the cards for me.
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 02-23-2010 at 08:13 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak View Post
Hey Guys i installed Tekin Hotwire Software on my Mac Book Pro 10.6.2 OS X Snow Leopard using Fusion 3 Virtual Ware & Windows 7 - All installed fine, just waiting for my Hotwire Hardware to arrive to test on 10.5 Tekin Motor....
I tryed to use it on my MAC using crossover software , but the hotwire program just didnt load, the .net framework might be the issue for the crossover software.

I'd just rather have a cheap pc for this type of stuff, i dont really want my macbookpro down at the track, i be devastated if it got damaged.. and i race offroad so id rather keep the dust away.
2011 AARCMCC National Titles 2wd Stock #1 -- 2011 AARCMCC National Titles SC Truck #2 -- 2010 WA AARCMCC State Titles, SC Truck #1
Offroad Schumacher Catsx & Cougar SV, X-Factory SCX60 Onroad Yokomo R12
www.stanbridges.com.au -- www.upgrade-rc.com
eichkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable people here can help Tekin team write hotwire so it runs on all platforms. We all will be forever grateful. Or at least I am going to be.
I know this is beyond the scope of this discussion, but I'll try to explain a few things. Plus, I'm going to try and be tactful, because I'm sure I'm going to need help with the RS at some point in time.

The first step in being able to easliiy support multiple platforms is to simplify the user interface design. Perhaps the powers that be were dazzled by what we now know as the Hot Wire graphical interface (management always loves the eye candy, regardless of what it actually does) but there is no utilitarian reason it has to look or work that way. Several people have suggested using the standard Windows/Mac dialog type interface, but that change has not occured. Having a graphics based interface means that you have to write your program to work with the underlying graphics infrastucture of each platform - which is extremely cumbersome to maintain and manage.

The next step is to simply how each setting and it's corresponding range of values (parameters) are stored for use by the application. Storing the parameters in a file makes it easy to move this information from one platform to another. If you "hard wire" all the paramter values into the program, you have to do a lot more work and testing each time you make a software change versus just changing the values in the paramter file. It also changes the structure of the program so that it is much easier to maintain and add/upgrade or remove the elements you see in the interface.

The third step would be to simplify how information is read and written to the USB port. If you have one routine that reads/writes to/from the USB port, then you only have to write that routine once for each platform.

All of the above is easy enough to accomplish. The bigger challenge is learning the nuiances of writing applications for each platform. This includes how to read/write to disk, how to create and display the dialog box, how to connect up to the interent and download a file (firmware updates, for example), how to read/write to the USB port, and how to deal with error messages passed to the application through the operating system. There is a huge investment in time and effort to develop version 1.0, but after that, life gets much easier. Having to update, test and support each platform for major firmware changes (i.e. new parameters) can be quite a challenge as well.

So the question is, does the Hot Wire software developer work for Tekin or some other company? If it's an in-house person, that individual just needs to step up to the plate and hit a home run out of the park. If the software has been outsourced, then that significantly complicates things to the point that supporting the RS on one platform makes the most sense - especially from a cost perspective.

I hope this puts things into perspective with regard to supporting multiple platforms. It would be nice to have, but there is some development/support overhead that needs to be considered and perhaps Tekin has already taken that into consideration.

Hope this helps.
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote