Wiki Posts
Search

New to electric on-road

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New to electric on-road

I run all nitro on-road 1/10th 1/8th DM1, but a lot of the drivers are also running the electric cars now.
I am familiar with TC5, Serpent, and X-ray, but what would be a decent car just to try it out before I jump all the way in.
The shops in my area do support these cars.
If I remember right, they are running 13.5 with lipos.
Dont want to start a war on which car is the best<I know how that starts> but just looking for something that I can compete with to see if I do want run electric.
thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pretty tough to just get your toes wet with an Xray, Serpent or TC5 as none of those are exactly cheap cars. Buying a used car from the above choices is a good way to get started without making quite so large an investment and as a bonus you will usually get some spares with the used car. The particular car doesn't really matter as all 3 cars will be fast. Just buy whichever one you can get the best parts and setup support with or whichever one you think looks the coolest if parts/support is equal.
I'm an Xray guy so I'll say buy a used T2'008 or 009. The online setup sheet system they have is awesome. Plus the sealed diffs are a big bonus.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default electric

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Pretty tough to just get your toes wet with an Xray, Serpent or TC5 as none of those are exactly cheap cars. Buying a used car from the above choices is a good way to get started without making quite so large an investment and as a bonus you will usually get some spares with the used car. The particular car doesn't really matter as all 3 cars will be fast. Just buy whichever one you can get the best parts and setup support with or whichever one you think looks the coolest if parts/support is equal.
I'm an Xray guy so I'll say buy a used T2'008 or 009. The online setup sheet system they have is awesome. Plus the sealed diffs are a big bonus.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I had actually thought about the X-Ray due to their quality. One of the shops I go to a lot is a Serpent dealer, so he is pushing me to get the Serpent.
But all of the shops in my area do support the three cars.
thanks again
Old 02-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by brc358
Thanks, I appreciate it. I had actually thought about the X-Ray due to their quality. One of the shops I go to a lot is a Serpent dealer, so he is pushing me to get the Serpent.
But all of the shops in my area do support the three cars.
thanks again
I would recomend Xray. Not that the other cars is bad, but xray cars is very durable and you can crash hard without braking the whole car. and they handle good too. The other cars is good too, but they wear a little more than xray.

www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
Old 02-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

If you are looking at touring cars you might want to double check parts availability for Serpent. I don't know if there is any support for the S400 and I've yet to hear about a replacement car. There is a S400 thread that can give you more info about that car. That being said everything I've read indicates it is a really nice car.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have an S400 and though I love the car, finding parts is a bear. So even though I am a fan of the S400 I would also lean toward X-ray. At club level you can do fine with a TC5 as well. You can also do well with a TOP Photon, or a Corally RDX Phi. Locally Schumacher Mi3 owners had trouble dialing in their cars on asphalt.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Lots of good cars to choose from.Part support is important. See what others at your track are running. That can be a good indication as to what works. They can also be a wealth of info when it comes to set up.

You also may want to consider the surface you'll be running on.

Pre owned is a good option also, if you can get a car from someone you trust.

Rob......